Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Amazing Duffey Lake Loop  (Read 510 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
The Amazing Duffey Lake Loop
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »

I just came back from one of the most (if not the most) picturesque and amazing roads I've ever had the chance to ride.  On a trip out west to Vancouver, BC I took two days and rode what the locals were calling, the Lake Duffey Loop.  I started out of Vancouver on my rental bike and went slightly west and mostly north for the first day on my way to Lillooet, passing through the showy Whistler Olympic Village.  The first day's ride was only 156 miles, which I can do standing on my head, but these roads are 100% entertaining and there is lots to see along the way so I took my time and enjoyed the trip, sometimes doubling back to check something I thought I missed or just to try a stretch of road a second time.  The roads are constantly changing elevation and twisting and turning, paying attention is paramount as the road can get away from you.  I was lucky on two counts.  First the weather, Canadian friends told me to bring rain gear but it wasn't needed either day as it was clear and 80F+ each day (rained day after ride).  Second, traffic was light and in some areas non-existent mostly due to the fact that I rode on Tuesday and Wednesday.

A special shout-out to Cycle BC, https://vancouver.cyclebc.ca/, bikes are in great shape, staff is courteous and professional and the bike choices are varied and interesting.  I had a sweet little BMW F800GT.

I don't have a lot to say about each photo but will chime in if there is something to note.

This photo is actually on the north side of Whistler but thought it was a great image to start the show.

My first stop was Shannon Falls.  This is a great place to stop, the falls is about 200 yards from the parking lot, you can actually see it from the road and it's impressive.  Not a lot of parking but thankfully a bike can squeeze into some small if illegal/questionable places.

These beautiful snowy mountain ranges can be seen on almost the entire trip.  Spectacular.

Great roads draw bikers, lots of them on the roads this weekend.  Was able to catch this KTM rider going by.

My next stop was Bridal Veil Falls.  Not as quickly accessible as Shannon Falls but it is a short walk from the much more generous parking lot.

I stopped at Whistler, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics.  It's a very expensive tourist trap right now offering $32 pizzas.  The main village is essentially a big mall and other than the Olympic Rings and the large Inukshuk greeting you at the main entrance there is very little here that celebrates the Winter Olympics at least not that I could see.  And to be fair I only did a cursory exploration.

I bypassed the $32 pizza in favor of the fish taco appetizer for $12.  Tasty!

Stunning view along the route.

I arrived at Pemberton and decided to take a detour through the valley floor.  It was strange to ride a flat road after a few hours of mountains but still twisty as I followed the Ryan River.

Best example I have of the continually twisting roads.  They go on like this.  For miles, or kilometers as the locals say.

Logjam!

Lake Duffey.  I had to wait ten minutes for a gentleman to repeatedly back-up and move forward his rather small RV as he needed to turn it around to get out of the turn-out.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.  Not happy about construction but was happy that the crew had all motorcycles move to the front of the pack.  I was second behind a very pleasant lady riding a slightly dinged up CBR.  Once we cleared the construction zone I tried to keep up with her, lasted a few corners but I wasn't close to her skill level.

Since I couldn't keep up with the CBR I decided to go back to my original mission and enjoy the scenery.

I've arrived, Lillooet!  Almost everyone I spoke with didn't have a lot to say about recommend about Lillooet.  The bike rental agency recommended I stay in Pemberton and the CBR rider who I spoke with at the construction site said there wasn't anywhere good to eat in town and she lived there.  The sign sure looks spiffy though.

My view of the sun just starting to set from my hotel balcony overlooking upper Lillooet.

My chicken caesar wrap and beer for dinner.  Just a local pub, wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.  Lillooet is a sleepy little town but the hotel I stay at, the Retasket Lodge was extremely clean and owners were friendly and gracious.  If you're looking for night time entertainment or touristy shops Lillooet is not the place to stop.  If you want a nice place to stay with a clean hotel room at a cheap price for the night it's perfect.

The next day I went out heading down HWY 12 along a much drier almost arid mountainscape along the Fraser River.  The road was rougher than others and one pass high up along the bluff was one lane with a cliff wall on one side and sheer drop on the other.

Rather than had towards Vancouver at the end of HWY 12 I decided to turn north again along the Trans Canada HWY 1 towards Spence Bridge.  A historic bridge I'm told.  A sign outside of town tells me the bridge is not in service currently.  As I make my way off the highway I find out why, it's just three pillars in the river.  Still there is a neat park that tells the story of the bridge which was very important in it's day.

A beautiful day to stop and take in the surroundings.

Now I'm on the road alongside the Fraser Canyon and decided to take in the view with another rider who was sitting precariously over the lookout wall.  Very nice guy named Duff just chillin' drinking what looked like a Budweiser.  He was a local and we talked bikes a bit and he told me that there are even better roads further in British Columbia.  That's hard to believe after what I've experienced but I'm sure its true.

I'm at Hell's Gate.  A tram ride to the bottom of the canyon.  I stayed a while and watched the trams ascend and descend, most were empty of passengers.  Just a bit further down the road I saw a bear just walking along the shoulder.  Once he saw me he turned and ran into the forest.  That was my only encounter with wildlife besides one small deer that jumped out and away from the road as I was passing.

Last meal of the ride at the Big Foot Cafe just outside of Harris Mill, BC.  Turns out it's a Harley rider hangout, though I did see one Victory.  I had a great joy and a little trepidation pulling up on my BMW, not nearly as entertaining as showing up on a Japanese bike but always fun to get that fish out of water vibe.  I'm in full riding gear and they are in leather vests and half-helmets.  Nobody said boo to me the whole meal but I did get a few stares and some smiles.  One of the riders did chat with me as we were both leaving at the same time.

Great place to ride and worth the effort to visit, definitely a bucket ride list item.

Hope you enjoyed the trip!

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Re: The Amazing Duffey Lake Loop
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:12 AM »
Nice report Dan.  My parents vacationed up there and said it was beautiful.  One day, I'll get the bike there.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »
One day, I'll get the bike there.

Yep, it's beautiful alright.  If you can't get your bike there Cycles BC has an FJR or two for rent.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »
Wow! What a great write-up, with equally great photos and stunning scenery! Thanks for sharing, Dan. Makes my local rides seem, well...boring.
Measure twice, cut once

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
Wow! Makes my local rides seem, well...boring.

Not sure where you call home but I live in New England and we have some pretty spectacular areas around New Hampshire, Vermont and western MA but it simply did not compare in terms of scenery and fun roads.

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
Very nice ride report.  One day I shall like to visit Vancouver and the surrounding area, preferably in the summer, of course.

Our University Police motorcycles are the BMW F800GT and they are wonderful bikes.  When the previous HDs broke for the xxx-th time, I convinced the chief to try something different.  The officers love the flickability fo the Beemer, along with the power and even the ergonomics compared to the hardly.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »
Wow! Makes my local rides seem, well...boring.

Not sure where you call home but I live in New England and we have some pretty spectacular areas around New Hampshire, Vermont and western MA but it simply did not compare in terms of scenery and fun roads.

Midwest; north of Chicago area. Normally I enjoy my back-country farm highway rides, but view cows 'n corn is nothing compared to your post!
Measure twice, cut once

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
Very nice ride report.  One day I shall like to visit Vancouver and the surrounding area, preferably in the summer, of course.

Hey Pants!  Haven't seen a post from you in ages.  Nice to hear from you again, you may have known me as fishball previously.

Midwest; north of Chicago area. Normally I enjoy my back-country farm highway rides, but view cows 'n corn is nothing compared to your post!

I know the area well, Cap.  I'm originally from Milwaukee and rode the same area more or less.  There's some nice stuff to be found here and there.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 03:57:25 AM »
Very nice write up.
My daughter lives in BC and I'm sending a 1983 Nighthawk 550 her way next week on my buddies trailer. I hope to get out there for some great rides in the near future.

Offline Johna136

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Nighthawk
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 04:12:01 AM »
Great write up and pictures.  Thanks for sharing your experiences!
48 Indian 65 Honda 305 72 Suzuki 250
80 KZ 440LTD

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 05:12:41 AM »
Very nice write up.
My daughter lives in BC and I'm sending a 1983 Nighthawk 550 her way next week on my buddies trailer. I hope to get out there for some great rides in the near future.

You won't be disappointed, Raven.  I'm sure there is much more to explore than my ride too although it's a great place to start.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:52 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous scenery.  Thanks for capturing it in your report.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved