Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newbie to Honda's (700s)  (Read 309 times)

Offline Kevdog3019

• View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk 7
Newbie to Honda's (700s)
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
I've posted here before but never gave a background. I started riding in 2004 and my first bike was a new Moto Guzzi 750. I graduated after a couple seasons to a Guzzi 1100 sport/touring. Bought a few other Guzzi's after that and currently have two 650's from the 80's. I traded my buddy my Guzzi 1100 for this Honda 700s because it was the size I like and easy around town in comparison to any of my Guzzi's. It's also a bike we studied carefully and saw how "right" they got this thing; ease of maintenance especially! It just didn't fit my friend but it did me. So, now after almost two months of ownership, I thought I'd give my two pennies. First off... this engine is marvelous!  Not a puller like a Guzzi, but quick and smooth. Handling is pretty spectacular. Dropping the engine down and forward makes it feel really light on the road and it leans quick. It runs much lighter than it is in other words. I thought Guzzi's were easy for maintenance; this thing's a breeze. It's a little finicky when cold and on choke and I'm getting used to finding its needs there. Mines been re-jetted up a couple sizes (mains and idle jets) and it runs very linear compared to stock. Most Guzzi owners will scoff at the lack of soul/character of a Honda, but I think this bike is pretty special and full of its own character. It's getting a lot more butt time than my little "racer" Guzzi. Easy rider and I expect few issues. Almost 14k miles.

Offline viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
Re: Newbie to Honda's (700s)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
I too had an '85 700s. I miss the no maintenance shaft drive.
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Online Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »
Not a total hijack but...Was the Guzzi sport/touring a Norge or a Breva? I'm looking to buy a 2014 Norge because I love the brown color only available that year. What were your impressions of the big Guzzi? Any issues to watch out for?

Offline Kevdog3019

• View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk 7
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
No, I had a 2003 V11 Lemans. Wonderful mile-muncher but the 1100ccwas a bit much for my current needs around town. This Honda 700s reminds me a bit of the ease of my old 2004 Breva 750 except it does everything better.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved