Username: Password:

Author Topic: my '91  (Read 418 times)

Offline viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
my '91
« on: June 14, 2017, 02:35:12 PM »
So 25 years ago this past May I bought my first new bike, a '91 Honda Nighthawk CB750. I had an '85 Honda Nighthawk CB700S and a '75 Yamaha RD350 prior. It was one of very few standard bikes available at the time and I liked the look and seating back then over the CBR's and GSXR's that had taken over the world. I happily rode her till 2000 when a bright yellow Honda VFR Interceptor caught my eye sitting all shiny and pretty on that showroom floor. Home she came and the Nighthawk went to my younger brother. He rode a lot that first year but then she just sat unloved. After several years she moved on to our next younger brother. He rode it for a couple years and dolled her back up some from the neglect she had endured. A new Harley V-Rod followed him home in 2013 and the old Honda sat waiting for love yet again. On she moved again to our sister. She rode a little bit in '13 and '14 but come the '15 season the front brake caliper seized on the first ride and she was parked to sit yet again. I'm getting old and sentimental so I decided to bring the old girl back home with me a few months ago. I made sure the oil was full and no mice had taken up residence in the air cleaner, etc. I drained the old gas, added fresh non ethenol gas and Seafoam. The old battery tried, but she just couldn't spin over fast enough to fire. Off to the store for a new battery and air filter. About two full turns and amazingly she came to life. After a few minutes she ran decent with just a little choke, but full off she would just barely idle, maybe 400 rpm. I cut her off and changed the oil and filter. Fired her back up and let her run. Idle was barely readable but I left her running and started making a parts list to fix her up. I would try to rev her from time to time but she was reluctant to take throttle. The longer she ran the more the idle came up and the smoother she got. Probably 3 or 4 hours of steady idling, revving, and a few quick blasts up the road (less than 1/4 mile and back), she now fires instantly, idles smooth and will rev with a little initial hesitation, but very livable. Since then I've replaced the lower aftermarket bars for new stock ones. Changed the fork seals, replaced the rear tire, rebuilt the caliper and added new pads. The list goes on but she is now road worthy. As of today she is back on the road and ready to click off some miles on the odo.
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
Re: my '91
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »
You left an air-cooled bike idling for several hours and it didn't seize?
made of meat

Offline viffer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
You left an air-cooled bike idling for several hours and it didn't seize?

No.... it was a several hour process. It never idled 10-15 minutes before I would ride up the road and back.
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline viffer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
My first ride on her in 17 years, and the first real miles since 2013,  she clicked off the 50 mile ride home like she's been ridden everyday. The old gal did very well....
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline smp

• View Profile
  • Bike: '93 CB750
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
Thanks for bringing another one back to life...

will rev with a little initial hesitation
This will probably go away if you sync the carbs. I had the same issue on an '81 Yamaha Virago I am restoring. I synced the carbs last night, took it for a test drive tonight and the throttle response was instantaneous.

Offline viffer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
Thanks for bringing another one back to life...

will rev with a little initial hesitation
This will probably go away if you sync the carbs. I had the same issue on an '81 Yamaha Virago I am restoring. I synced the carbs last night, took it for a test drive tonight and the throttle response was instantaneous.

Rode her to work today. The hesitation is gone!!   :claps:
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved