Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any "high mileage" NH owners out there?  (Read 6451 times)

Offline rut3556

• View Profile
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650
Any "high mileage" NH owners out there?
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:56 AM »
Howdy all,

Am about to look at a very nice '93 Nighthawk with 32K miles on the clock. Are there any of you out there with similar "high miles" on their Nighthawks, and should I be overly concerned? I've owned several bikes I knew were good for 100K+, but I have no experience with this particular bike or engine.

Thanks in advance,

RUT

Offline ariwhiteboy

• Last of the V8 Moderators
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB1K-Literhawk
Re: Any "high mileage" NH owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »
32K is nothing on a NH. Look for obvious signs of abuse/neglect, but it should be just fine. Many NH owners have rolled 100K and beyond.
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline umpire

• View Profile
  • Bike: 84 700s Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:14:22 AM »
Yep,  My 84 has 46,000 tics on her , still going strong . Doesn`t use any oil hapdude2
 Them Honda inline 4`s are darn near bullet proof bkr3
 Umpire

Offline WoodIsland

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
Over 52K here--the two previous owners put most of them on there and took great care of it!

Offline ExTex

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500F
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
Almost 40k on my 1983 650.  No problems after the stator and R/R replaced.

ride safely,
Sold:1983 CB650sc & VT500c & VF700S

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
I think bajakirch has over 130k on his nighthawk.  That is the name in my head, but might not be correct.  It was in old forums the post about time to overhaul.  Believe 60k is when they start being considered high miles and needing service.

Offline Kylekcmo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 Nighthawk
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
 52k on mine, sits outside year round, and has been wrecked twice to my knowledge. Once by me when a car turned left in front of me and once by the previous owner. Has always started and can't make a single complaint about the durability of the Nighthawk.

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »
I should add that this year, I have put almost 2000km on mine, is nearing 30k km and prior to me, hadn't run in near a decade.  Didn't touch the bottom end other than giving the cylinders a good clean and oil without removing them from the crankcase prior to running it.

Offline Jeckler

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH750
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
My '92 750 has 49k miles on it. Slight head cover gasket weeping, but runs great.
- Andy

Offline heavyd

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk/Valk
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
My 85 700s has 77k KM on it. A little temperamental with the 1st/2nd shifting sometimes but other than that it's going strong.

Offline rut3556

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
Wow, thanks so much for the many replies! I kinda thought that was the case, but just wanted to confirm. I went to look at it this noon time, and it was generally in nice condition. There were a few niggling things wrong with it such as faded paint (red) on the front fender and of course, the tach didn't work! In all fairness, it's at a dealer and just came in last week. So, they haven't had a chance to run it through the shop as yet. They want way too much money for it ($2495.00) in its present state as well, but they know this and would no doubt settle for far less. So, I'm just biding my time and see what they come back at me with. BTW, it does have a center stand!

Thanks again!

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
Dealer bikes that haven't been prepped usually can get a really good deal on it.  That way they don't need to clean it, do all the fluid stuff, etc that makes it legal for them to resell.

Offline LJnighthawk

• View Profile
  • Bike: NightHawk 650
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »
My "ole" Blackie CB650sc has 42K on the clock. Rescues from certain oom in the back of an old guys' garage where it had been rotting for who knows how long. Totally stored incorrectly and parked with a lot of little issues to begin with. This bike came back to life with more time than money. I tinkered with it for a couple of months, very part time, serviced it, straightened out the steering, changed the filters, and all fluids. Replaced a couple missing bolts and a headlight retainer for less than 200 bucks. Runs good and solid.
 Honda has been building the CB forever. I have owned 5 at different stages of my life, some twins, mostly fours, from new to ancient and all have performed well.

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
I've got 49k on my '92. Paid $500 for it because the tank was rusty and needed sealed, and it needed fork seals and a lot of various odds and ends. I've been tinkering with it and have it in pretty good shape with about $300 invested after the initial purchase price. Listen carefully to the top end when you fire it up cold, if you hear light ticking, it probably needs the hydraulic lifters bled, that's the only common engine issue I can think of, it's a pretty easy fix, but some people are weary of the idea of pulling the cams.  Mine has some RPM dependent cam chain noise too, but I don't think that's very common for the 91+ models.

Offline rut3556

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 06:33:36 AM »
The problem I'm having is finding a nice NH that meets my criteria. At my advanced age I'm only looking for something I'd consider "turnkey", which isn't easy. The two I've looked at locally all seem to have some niggling problems I'm unwilling to put up with, so the search continues. I do have a line on one that fills the bill, but the owner's not sure he's ready to part with it.  :(

Offline RoughCafe92

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »

This morning. Got the bike 3 winters ago with 45k motor running strong

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »
The problem I'm having is finding a nice NH that meets my criteria. At my advanced age I'm only looking for something I'd consider "turnkey", which isn't easy. The two I've looked at locally all seem to have some niggling problems I'm unwilling to put up with, so the search continues. I do have a line on one that fills the bill, but the owner's not sure he's ready to part with it.  :(

Well, niggling problems are the scourge of any used bike.  Part of what I consider true cost of purchase.  Sometimes need to include it into planned cost of bike if it is just general servicing issues.  What sort of issues did they have?  Was it damage or just stuff like leaks/chains/etc?

Offline genespleen

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 CB650SC
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »
65K plus on my '85; still strong.  Watch the cam-chain tensioner.

Offline tbonesullivan

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
There's a guy on the CB750 yahoo group that has one with 100K miles on it. I've got 34K on mine, and it does seem to sip a little oil, but I also have had a small leak for a while. Mine runs like a champ, has plenty of pull, and is coming up on 20 years of life.

These bikes are very well made.

Now, if it was a Honda Goldwing, then it wouldn't even be "broken in" at 30K.
1996 Honda Nighthawk 750

Offline rut3556

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »
Well, as it worked out I just bought a nice '95 NH 750 with a mere ~18K on the clock. Will be picking it up later today. :-)

Offline Bumblebee

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »
One of the main reasons that high mileage on a motorcycle is considered to be 15-20,000+ miles is that people simply don't ride them. If people drove cars 200 miles a year and rode motorcycles constantly, a high mileage car would be 10,000 miles or more. And those high mileage 10,000 mile cars would have dozens and dozens of constant ongoing mechanical problems.

Mileage is not everything, not even close.

Choose one:
1: 1980 motorcycle with 100 miles
2: 1980 motorcycle (same as the motorcycle in #1 above) with 250,000 miles.
Which would you buy and why?

Consider that lower mileage machines and left sitting year after year is more likely to have problems than high mileage (high mileage meaning 5000+ miles per year for decades on end) that is maintained in good running condition.

One of the worst things you can do to a machine is let it sit unused. Unless they are properly mothballed before put into decades of storage, they are mechanical nightmares when the key is put in the ignition.

Offline PMitchell08

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »
Which would you buy and why?

With extremes like that, I would much rather have the 100 mile bike, unless it's been out in the rain since 1980. But if it were, say, 20k vs 60k, at that point you would have a serious debate, and time in storage versus regular ride time would become the much more important factor.
Similarly, many people have a very mileage-centric view of used cars, but since I grew up in the rust belt, I always thought it made much more sense to buy a newer car with many miles than one that was a couple years older with low miles. I didn't often see the wear of driving the car causing any problems or failures; most of the problems I saw were directly related to the number of winters the car had been through, and the amount of time it spent with salt all over it, even if it spent a lot of that time parked in the driveway or garaged. So for me, model year was by far the most important basic stat on a car, with mileage being a relatively negligible afterthought.

Offline SamRus

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 NH 650
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
33K miles on my 1984 CB650sc.

Offline 9C1

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »
Got 53k on my bike (and counting).  The only thing I've done to it aside from normal maintenance is an exhaust replacement.  My guess is that, since I'm not afraid to ride in very cold weather, the short commute to work (5 miles) wasn't enough to burn off moisture in the left exhaust pipe.  These bikes are incredibly reliable.

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved