Username: Password:

Author Topic: Father's Day Rides?  (Read 110 times)

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
Father's Day Rides?
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
Anyone else turn their free Father's Day pass into a ride?

I chose to do a day ride that allowed me to hit as many of Wisconsin Rustic Roads as I could.

Rustic Roads is a program run by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation that promotes use of roads in out-of-the-way spots throughout the state. If I could string together at least 10 of them and get a picture of my bike with each of the signs, I can send in for a patch from the program.

I spent Friday evening stringing together a route that I could do in a day that would connect at least 10 of the roads. Even with a few navigational errors, I was able to hit all 10 and be home in time to go out to dinner with my family.

Good day.

Get on your bikes and ride!

Online viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
Re: Father's Day Rides?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »
Sounds like you had a good day away from the hustle and bustle traffic snarls! No ride for me. I spent the day with my son doing things he chose for us to do. I wouldn't have traded it for anything!!
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
I used my pass to cajole my family into a day of whitewater rafting in north central IL (yes, it exists!).

We rented a raft from Vermillion River Rafting. No guides, just us and our paddles in a raft. OK, it wasn't heavy rapids, but there were a few that were pretty solid. We actually hung up on the first set, but managed to get free. The second set was much more significant but we got through OK. There were a number of rafts coming through, so we decided to pull over and watch them come through (and laugh at them if they tipped).

That's when we got a surprise introduction to one of Illinois' newest invasive species, the Asian carp.  If you're not familiar with them, they have an interesting defensive mechanism when they sense vibrations nearby in the water. They jump about three feet up and out!

If my daughter's head could have exploded, I think it would have. After lots of screaming and flopping around, I was able to evict our stowaway. Things were pretty calm after that until we reached one stretch of water we're suddenly about 40 to 50 of the carp started jumping out of the water all around us. Another stowaway landed, and he was evicted too.

All in all, it was a good day. I had fun on the river but I don't think my fellow passengers did. Maybe next year I'll just hop on the bike and go for a ride.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
@Bajakirch,

Sounds like a blast!
I never knew about the Rustic Roads.  I am going to get one of those patches!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »
I managed about 50miles of back road blasting.  Sounds like you had a good ride.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
Some pics from my day out and about.

Get on your bikes and ride!

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved