Username: Password:

Author Topic: It's time to say goodbye (almost)  (Read 852 times)

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
  • Bike: 98 NH 750
It's time to say goodbye (almost)
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »
All, it has been great to meet so many nice people on this forum.  I recently put my Nighthawk 750 1998 for sale.  It has been a great bike for me but due to another bike in the stable, I can no longer keep two bikes so NH has to go.  If you are interested and in the Chicago area and soon, ping me if interested.  I will post in Classifieds here as I have on CL.

Your help on this forum to myself and others has been helpful to me as I went from a noob wrencher to not mind getting my hands dirty.  Best of all, I have enjoyed riding with fellow NH riders in the Midwest here.  No reason I can't continue that tradition again, except on my new bike, BMW R1200R 2016.  I went with modern machinery, rode it, loved it and now it's in my home.  More than what I wanted to spend but oh well.  I suck at posting pics, will try.

Cheers all.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
Re: It's time to say goodbye (almost)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:38:07 PM »
Wow, that's a heck of an upgrade!

That has the new water-cooled R engine, doesn't it?
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:56:11 AM »
Yes, 1200cc, I got a great deal so had to pull the trigger.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:51:06 AM »
That's a great bike!  I have had my eye on that one for a bit now but like you said, pricey.  I'm on my second bike since owning my first Nighthawk and I am still around.  Don't think you have to leave the forum just because you are no longer a Nighthawk owner.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:34 AM »
I'm on my second bike since owning my first Nighthawk and I am still around.  Don't think you have to leave the forum just because you are no longer a Nighthawk owner.

Heck, even our admins don't own any Nighthawks.  Technically Hondo owns a CB1000, but that bike will never see the light of day.

For some, the Nighthawk suits their needs.  For many, it is a stepping stone to their next bike.  I loved my Nighthawk when I had it, but I'll never go back.  However, this forum is not just about the Nighthawk.  You're looking a community that supports riding in general.  Ride reports, meet-ups,  reviews, etc.  All things that don't have to be Nighthawk specific. 

Enjoy the new bike, good luck with the sale, but stick around.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
I have to echo DF's thoughts -- while I've come and gone a bit over the years, NHF is the one forum I keep returning to. No other has the sense of community like I find here.

I haven't owned a Nighthawk for almost 6 years. I think it's the attitude of the NH owners that I align with most -- nothing fancy, just a true appreciation for the basic, and riding in general.

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »
But... but... Nighthawk! What is WRONG with you people?!?!?

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »

Don't worry, you'll grow up one day.  haphap

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:15:24 PM »
I did. Didn't like it. So I started riding.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »

I've been told that if you haven't grown up by the time you're 50, you don't have to. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Immature male right to the bitter end!

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 06:40:38 PM »

I've been told that if you haven't grown up by the time you're 50, you don't have to. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Immature male right to the bitter end!

Aging is inevitable, maturing is not.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »

Aging is inevitable, maturing is not.

@home4sale2

See what you'd be missing?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 05:04:16 AM »
Well, sorry to hear about your "upgrade" to a BMW.

I can't talk, though, I had to give up my NH.  As I get older, I need more practicality in my bike - wind protection and carrying capacity.  I would not ride the NH in the cold or in the rain (like today).  yes, you can get a big fairing, and luggage, but after all that hunting and expense, you can get a bike that has it standard.  I love the NH for what it is, but I don't have room for more than 2 bikes, and one of those has to be for me and the SWAMBO, so she gets a say in it.

maturity is what you make of it.  I take great amusement in hearing my kid's laments about responsibilities and such now that they're grown.  I remind them of the multiple times I warned them about what they wished for as they always wanted to be "grown ups". 

Another fine day ruined by adult responsibility.

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 07:15:07 AM »
Thanks guys for the congrats and the wonderful banter which will keep me around.  My title should have been:  "It's time say goodbye to the Nighthawk bike, almost" vs implying the forum.  I have some people looking to check it out so let's see how it goes.   I still plan on riding with people I have met here and maybe more some day so won't be leaving the forum.

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
It's official, sold the bike today, sad day!  Keep thinking if I should have kept it but it's better someone will ride that bike vs having it sit around in my shed.  Bikes are meant to be ridden.  I got what I wanted, he got what he wanted.  Both parties happy.  For some odd reason, the darn seat wasn't latching, never had that problem before but I am sure the guy was wondering if I am selling him a bill of goods.  Anyway, it clicked in place eventually and off he went.  I think in the long run this bike cost me $100 / year for the last 4 years between what I paid, what I put into it and what I got for it.  That's awesome about the Nighthawks.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 06:03:55 AM »
A sad day, indeed. But glad you were able to get it to a new home. I'm sure you won't think too much about it as you get out on the new ride.

Did you at least plug the forum to him? Be interesting if he shows up here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
Yes, doesn't strike me as an internet guy.  Let's see.
I am amazed how many legit looking people behind the emails with local phone numbers reached out to me that just seemed to be scammers.  All had one thing in common, they offered me anywhere from $200 to $1000 more than the asking price but wanted to do business via paypal only.  I did have to choose between two buyers so I guess I could have asked for a bidding war but one guy was confirmed with his appointment with me, one just showed up.  Had to disappoint one of them, they both had cash in hand.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 10:51:16 PM »
I am amazed how many legit looking people behind the emails with local phone numbers reached out to me that just seemed to be scammers.  All had one thing in common, they offered me anywhere from $200 to $1000 more than the asking price but wanted to do business via paypal only.

Are people still falling for that scam?

Chalk this one up for the good guys.

Online studiosteve

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 NH750
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 10:59:09 PM »
Good to hear about the quick sale and awesome to hear about the nighthawk holding its value so well. While I have no immediate plans whatsoever of getting rid of mine, its good to know itll still fetch a fair penny around here if and when that time comes. 

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 06:27:19 AM »
I agree about the price. I paid on the high side when I got mine, so it would be nice to recoup much of that when the time comes to sell.

This latest turnover of bikes amongst my acquaintances has me thinking hard about doing the same. I still love my NH, especially its no-hassle nature. And it's design is old enough that its retro look is starting to be reflected in new models, which is kind of fun. But fuel injection and some more modern doo-dads would also be nice to have.

My NH isn't going anywhere for the time-being, since it does everything I nees it to do for now. But there are other bikes I'd like to experience. I'm more of a buy-and-hold type, but if I'm going to experiment, I guess a motorcycle is the way to do it.

And I love that BMW boxer...and that 900cc Yamaha triple...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
When I "upgraded" from my Seca 550 to my Buell Cyclone 15 years ago, I thought that was it, but lo and behold, I still have the Seca plus my Nighthawk. It's nice to have a change of pace every so often and it's nice to have a spare bike if one is down for maintenance. When I bought the Nighthawk it was as a flipper but after riding it I knew it was gonna stick around; no arguments. I try to afford the bikes equal time during the riding season. Liability only runs around $15.00 a year apiece for the standby bikes.
Incidentally, this forum is the only motorcycle one I stay active on. It's because of the people and the attitude!
Measure twice, cut once

Offline home4sale2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
There is no denying this is a great forum and an active one at that.  I don't see much wrenching going on on the BMW forums.  Captainkirk, if I had place to store the bike, I would have kept the NH.  Aycaramba, I love the sound of this bike, it's unique.  I do have more expenses on the horizon but in time.

I happened to be scheduled for an Advanced Rider Course (a refresher from 4 years ago, a promise I made when I got into this hobby that I will take a class every 3-4 years) so it will be great to try it out all day tomorrow and get used to it.

Offline John R. Mallory

• View Profile
  • Bike: NH
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »
Yeah. I am close to retiring my NH, its no good for touring. Fun around town, its Light. only  Ninjas can beat me. Others so friendly in Arizona, even Harleys wave  to me! And say: "Look at that Old 750!" (its a  650)
--

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved