Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mods for My Versys (photos fixed)  (Read 842 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Mods for My Versys (photos fixed)
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »

For the Versys I've got a list as long as my arm of things I wish to add.  Yesterday I started with two simple additions.  The first was replacing the "meep" of the OEM horn with a Denali Mini Soundbomb.  This is so easy to swap out, it's about one step harder than changing a light bulb.  This particular horn is meant as simple swap, there are no relays or any addition wiring, plug and play.

da Bomb!

OEM horn.  It's heavier than it looks.

The back of the horn is connected by one bolt and two wires.

Just slide the rubber boots off the connectors and slip off the clips.

Replace with the Soundbomb.  Seriously simple.  I used the OEM bracket and bolt because they are black.  The Denali bracket and bolt were silver and would have been an eyesore.

It's not a super loud horn but it is much deeper and more robust than stock, substantially so.  I think it's kind of large visually which I don't care for but it does the job quite well.  Cheap and easy upgrade, plus it says made in Italy right in the front, my dreams of a Multistrada are teased a little.

Next I added my gps mount with a new over the clocks version from SW Motech.  This wasn't cheap, nothing from SW Motech is cheap but it's really nice quality and matches up to the bike like it was OEM.  It's a fiddly thing to put together and I worked on it off an on all day.  Most of my issues stemmed from not having another pair of hands, also I thought they shipped me a box with a piece missing.  Turns out the pieces were attached at the factory but they are listed separate on the parts list.  I spent about a half hour searching my house for the "missing" piece as I opened the box the night before and thought I had misplaced it.

The main brackets attach to the windscreen frame.  Would have been easier to attach had I removed the windscreen.

The crossbar holds the GPS.  That small piece of plastic on top of the crossbar is the part I was searching for.  It slides into the gps mount and locks it into place to the crossbar.

The gps all mounted up.  You can just see the side of the pivoting mount that let's you adjust the angle of the gps.  Everything was really fussy to assemble.

Overall I like the new mount but because of the size of my gps cradle it sits a bit low over the tach.  I can see most of the tach but the very top is obscured.  Also at low revs or rough road the gps bounces quite a bit, not an issue at any steady speed but around town acceleration makes the viewing quite distorted.

I had a dream last night that my gps fell off and I didn't realize it until the next day.

Next up are heated grips and a DC plug.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: Mods for My Versys
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »
None of your photos are showing or clickable.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
Re: Mods for My Versys
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »
None of your photos are showing or clickable.

Thanks, Raven.  It's fixed now.

Offline Ace21

• View Profile
  • Bike: 97Nighthawk 750
Re: Mods for My Versys (photos fixed)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »
113 db's at 3 feet.  Sounds like a good idea.

How 'bout a sound bite?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
113 db's at 3 feet.  Sounds like a good idea.

How 'bout a sound bite?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This isn't my bike, just a video I found on YouTube.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »

Added four more items to the bike in the last two days.  The first is a set of heated grips.  I've wanted heated grips since I rode my first motorcycle, especially since I typically ride well into winter and my hands get cold so easily.  For the Versys I purchased Koso Apollo Heated Grips.  These are really neat, it's the only aftermarket heated grip that I could find that has an integrated controller built into the grip.  That way you do not have any control box mounted to your bar or mirror or wherever.  These look OEM.  I don't know how hot they get but they feature five settings and the temp is indicated by color; blue, green, yellow, orange and finally red as the hottest.  The controller will remember where your last setting if you hold the button for three seconds when turning off.

Shown in the coolest setting.

The red light indicates that they are on high power.

The grips are also a bit wider in diameter than stock which some people like.  I have smaller hands and actually prefer the stock set-up but it isn't bad.

I also added a DC outlet.  I figure it was a nice accessory though I don't have any immediate need for it.  Maybe phone or camera charging.

And finally a Puig Fender Extender.  I hadn't really even considered one of these but it was cheap and recommended by other riders so I thought no big deal.  You can see the Soundbomb horn hanging off the bracket in the background.  Still think it looks funky.

That's about all I'm going to do for now.  Things I'm considering down the road, center stand, crash bars, rear spools (these will probably happen soon, now that I think about it), gear position indicator and a couple of maybes, wider footpegs, windscreen and seat.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:48:35 AM »
I've only had heated grips on one bike, and to me, they were of dubious use.  Still, I like those a lot.  If they're not too expensive, might be a decent add-on for the ST.

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
I love heated grips.  They extend whatever gloves I'm wearing by 20 degrees and essentially on tours, I now only bring 1 extra pair of gloves instead of 2.  Two other things I will never live without on a motorcycle are cruise control and ABS.

Your bike is looking very nice, Dan.  Few questions:

1.  Did you put the factory 12V adapter from Kawi on your bike?  My buddy with the 1000 LT looked at that and it was some kind of stupid money.  So he bought an after market one and just used the OEM hole for it.

2.  What are "rear spools"?

3.  Have you given any thought to a top box?  On my first FJR, I resisted it - didn't like the way it looked, expense, etc.  Now, I won't leave the State without it.  The Givi monokey boxes are incredible.  My buddy bought the SW Mototech top box plate on the stock rack and it is MUCHO strong.  Solid mount for sure.

4.  You mentioned "4" additional things.  I only noted the heated grips, 12V socket, and the fender extender.  What am I missing?

5.  Do your saddle bags come with OEM soft liners in them?  If not, put that on your list for sure.

6.  My buddy also looked at the OEM auxiliary lights and again, way too expensive.  So he bought a set of the Mondo Motos like I have on my forks and we used the same mounting location under the headlamp assy.  To me, the "triangle of light" is not as pronounced as it is on my bike, but OTOH, his lights are on the sprung side of the forks, which should make them last longer (much less vibration).

Farkling is an addition.  The first step is admitting you have a problem....

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 07:13:54 AM »
You need cruise control.  Once you have it, you'll never want a bike without it.  It greatly increase the stamina for longer rides.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
I've only had heated grips on one bike, and to me, they were of dubious use.  Still, I like those a lot.  If they're not too expensive, might be a decent add-on for the ST.

You may be right, Wahrsuul, it could be a dubious addition and I guess I will find out when the temps drop.  These were pricey as far as heated grips are concerned, I think the price was just over $100 at Revzilla.  I didn't really shop around as I liked the integrated design.  I had a trip two years ago to DC in Spring, it had started snowing and getting near freezing temps on the ride back to Boston.  I would have paid anything for heated gloves, grips, handguards, Hippo-Hands.  It was Sunday and all the dealerships were closed so I rode through the crap weather vowing my next bike would have something, so I went with these.

I love heated grips.  They extend whatever gloves I'm wearing by 20 degrees and essentially on tours, I now only bring 1 extra pair of gloves instead of 2.  Two other things I will never live without on a motorcycle are cruise control and ABS.

Your bike is looking very nice, Dan.  Thanks!  Few questions:

1.  Did you put the factory 12V adapter from Kawi on your bike?  My buddy with the 1000 LT looked at that and it was some kind of stupid money.  So he bought an after market one and just used the OEM hole for it.

I used OEM, my shop has been giving me discounts on the stuff.  Most riders on the Versys forum use after market too.

2.  What are "rear spools"?

Small spools that you can attach near the rear wheel so you can use a hand jack to lift the back tire.  No center stand on the Versys 650.

3.  Have you given any thought to a top box?  On my first FJR, I resisted it - didn't like the way it looked, expense, etc.  Now, I won't leave the State without it.  The Givi monokey boxes are incredible.  My buddy bought the SW Mototech top box plate on the stock rack and it is MUCHO strong.  Solid mount for sure.

DF knows how I feel about topboxes.  On most bikes I just don't like how they look.  FJR's, Goldwing and big cruisers look okay but I just havent' crossed that line yet for the Versys.  I know they are amazingly practical.

4.  You mentioned "4" additional things.  I only noted the heated grips, 12V socket, and the fender extender.  What am I missing?

I forgot to mention the battery tender lead pigtail... almost not worth mentioning.

5.  Do your saddle bags come with OEM soft liners in them?  If not, put that on your list for sure.

No.  They are available and I considered getting them.  Right now I just use two tote bags that do the trick.

6.  My buddy also looked at the OEM auxiliary lights and again, way too expensive.  So he bought a set of the Mondo Motos like I have on my forks and we used the same mounting location under the headlamp assy.  To me, the "triangle of light" is not as pronounced as it is on my bike, but OTOH, his lights are on the sprung side of the forks, which should make them last longer (much less vibration).

I like the idea of additional riding lights.  Maybe someday.

Farkling is an addition.  The first step is admitting you have a problem....

It's real easy to do on the Versys and I have a problem.

You need cruise control.  Once you have it, you'll never want a bike without it.  It greatly increase the stamina for longer rides.

I had a real nice throttle lock on my 650 Nighthawk.  I have no plans at the moment but maybe that will be added to the list.

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:56:41 AM »
Buy the OEM bag liners.  They will greatly increase your overall carrying capacity.  Each to just grab and run for the hotel or the tent.

I've learned a lot about auxiliary lighting over the past couple years.  Holler if you need help.

I really (REALLY) like my buddy's bike.  His is the same color as yours and it's gorgeous.  I think ya done well!

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 05:04:04 AM »
I don't agree on the cruise control.  The St doesn't have it.  It has a Throttlemeister throttle lock which is a PITA to use, but it came with the bike.  I have ABS on the ST which I would rather not be without.  I have CC on my Voyager, but not ABS.  It also has a stereo which I won't use when riding.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 06:39:11 AM »
I'm talking about actual cruise control.  The reason I like actual cruise control over a throttle lock is that it is easy to set and easy to disengage.  It's just a button to push to set, but I also have to think about unlocking the throttle it in a sudden stop.  Mine disengages with a tap of either brake or the clutch. 

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 06:45:38 AM »
I'm talking about actual cruise control.  The reason I like actual cruise control over a throttle lock is that it is easy to set and easy to disengage.  It's just a button to push to set, but I also have to think about unlocking the throttle it in a sudden stop.  Mine disengages with a tap of either brake or the clutch. 

That is the right way to do it.  I did have a nice throttle lock on my old Nighthawk, came with the bike.  It was a lever that was right by your thumb and a quick press would engage or disengage.  You could also turn the throttle down or up while it was engaged it was just harder to twist.  Of course if you pull in the clutch the throttle would become neutralized but you still had to manually disengage the lock every time.

I hardly ever used the throttle lock when I had it, I guess that's why I don't get all that interested in cruise control, I hardly use it in my car as well.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:28 AM »
Yeah, "real" CC vs throttle lock I can see.  The break-away throttle lock is a step up, but a bit pricey.  Still I don't want either on the ST.

Offline naskie18

• View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Sprint
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »
Looking good Dan, I'll be interested to see how you like the heated grips when fall comes around!  They definitely look good, I still like the integrated controller.

Nick

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
I'm most interested in your heated grips, as that's likely to be the next farkle on my Strom. I used to complain about how little air I would get flowing over me in hot weather when I had the Concours. But I sure loved it come March or October.

I'm one of those that would probably like the larger diameter of those heated grips. The Connie came with oversized, soft grips, and I felt that the larger diameter made it easier to control the throttle at slow speeds. The Strom's FI is known to be pretty twitchy under 3000 rpms, and I'm thinking that could help.
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 11:11:11 PM »
Agreed on the cruise control. I recently added an electronic cruise control yo my NH 750. I already had a NEP throttle clamp, but this is SO much better, especially after getting the DIP switch settings dialed in.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »

Report card for my mods.

On my trip up to the White Mountains yesterday I got to use a few of the mods quite a bit.

The Denali mini Soundbomb.  I was cut off on the road twice so in anger I gave a blat of the horn.  In one instance the driver either ignored or didn't hear my horn, in the other he saw but decided he wanted my lane anyway.  Grade C.

The SW Motech over the clocks GPS mount.  This is really well made, nothing feels cheap and it holds the gps over the gauges just like it's billed.  Two issues with the first being the gps bounces up and down to such a degree that the screen is extremely hard to read.  This could be because my older Zumo 550 is so heavy that the mount just isn't rigid enough.  The bouncing only occurs at low city speeds when the bike is in low revs.  The vibes from the engine transmits through the bike and the mount and it's like watching a basketball.  Problem is, that's when you need a gps the most, in a city getting to an address.  On the highway it's just fine.  Second problem is sun glare on the gps screen.  You can adjust the angle of the gps but on the Versys if you adjust it too low it covers the tachometer.  You can make the case that a tach is not really needed I use mine a great deal and it bothers me when the top half is covered.  Grade B

Puig Fender Extender.  Rode the bike over some dirt and gravel roads up in New Hampshire.  I felt good knowing that the radiator was somewhat protected from stones being thrown up.  Grade A

Heated Grips.  It was chilly in the morning, low 50's and I decided to wear my mesh jacket and gloves with lots of layers as it was to warm up later in the day.  The heated grips worked like a charm, with 5 different settings it was easy to find one that did the trick.  A side issue, once your hands are warm you realize how cold other parts of your body are feeling.  Also, if you don't wrap your fingers on the grips they don't get warm.  I keep my index fingers off the grips when I ride, never really knew that until I had heated grips.  Grade B

12 volt adapter.  Haven't used it yet.  Grade N/A

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved