Username: Password:

Author Topic: What did you do to your Nighthawk today??  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 cb750
Re: What did you do to your Nighthawk today??
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2017, 12:25:44 AM »
Boo Hiss.  Attempted changing my sprockets and chain.  Failed to accomplish much of anything.  Got the front sprocket off.  Tried to take the chain apart, broke the chain tool!  Bah.  If motorcycles were made of wood I'd have had this done in no time flat.  Hopefully I'll get some useful tips tomorrow at the bike shop and from my mechanic buddy and I'll be able to get it done tomorrow.  Planning on doing a toy run Sat, IF I can get things taken care of that is!  Wish me luck!!!!

Untitled by Matthew Gandy, on Flickr

McG99

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2017, 04:49:13 AM »
Wow, pretty fragile chain tool.  Mine's a Harbor Freight, still good after a couple uses.  Though I did use master link chains as replacements, I still had to break the original chains off.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2017, 06:12:12 AM »
Changed valve cover gasket, washers, and spark plugs last night.  3rd gasket  for my 750, 2nd installed by me.  Now ready to ride on a 70* December day.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 cb750
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »
Well, I managed to get it done yesterday morning before the Toy Run.  Got up early and used a grinder I borrowed from a friend.  Off with the old chain and on with the new.  I spread the old chain out on my bench and marked where it was.  Then counted links on the new chain to the same 110 and marked where it was.  The old chain is about 5/8" longer than the new chain.  So new chain made and installed.  New Sprockets on and everything back together.  A few test runs around the block, adjust the shift lever and rear brake a bit and off to the toy run.

The Toy Run was pretty fun.  I was in one last weekend with my girlfriend in Polk County (south?) Carolina.  There were over 500 motorcycles there.  It was dry and near 60 degrees.  This time it was just me in Portland, Oregon.  I don't know the count of bikes but by the looks of it maybe in the 200 range, maybe.  It was in the 40's and raining.  Fun ride though.  The "rain gear" I was gifted a month or so back appears to be better suited as a cloudy day pant and jacket!  I was Absolutely drenched, and I've applied two coats of water repellent!!!  Also my new pair of gloves which are supposed to be water proof are NOT.  Boo Hiss on all that.  I've written to the company about that.  We shall see what they say.  The other gear I'll make do with some frog toggs I have for hiking(used today in the wind and they block all of that very well) and a jacket I used for backpacking/snowsports. It is waterproof.  I think in the future I will invest in some nice rain gear or maybe a duster or leather winter gear.  There were a lot of leather wearing bikers there at both toy runs.  The wet weather didn't seem to touch the leather or duster wearing riders. 
McG99

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
I hope you did not install clip type link.Not reliable. I used $30 chain riveter and worked great.

Offline usbigred

• View Profile
  • Bike: 82 NH450
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
I installed clear turn signal lenses on my 86 RWB Nighthawk S.  I also installed chrome amber bulbs so the turn signals don't have the egg yolk look.  I'm very pleased with how it looks.  In my opinion, the clear lenses go better with the color scheme of the bike.

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
I hope you did not install clip type link.Not reliable.

While my current chain has the hollow-pin type master link, in 44 years of riding, I have never had a single issue with a clip-type master link. Not one. As long as the clip is properly seated on the pins, there should be no real difference. Carry a spare master link just in case.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2017, 04:52:39 AM »
I hope you did not install clip type link.Not reliable. I used $30 chain riveter and worked great.

Time was when that was all you could get, and they worked fine.  Put one on my '96, and it lasted over 25k.

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2017, 05:01:07 AM »
I put it away for the winter :(

hmmmm2 Why would one do such a thing? I would miss her too much

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved