Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to me 1993 750 Nighthawk  (Read 709 times)

Offline gordon

• View Profile
New to me 1993 750 Nighthawk
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »
Here's my new to me 93 Nighthawk. I've had it now for a few days. My initial impression is its a fun lil bike. I haven't ridden anything this small in a long time. My last few  bikes have been an 02 1800c that I owned from 02 to 13, sold it to buy my a 99 RK, sold my RK on 15 and bought our travel trailer, bought an 03 1800c in 16, and sold it this spring and thought I was done till I started trolling around here. I've always liked Nighthawks. My brother in law had an 82 Nighthawk 750, great bike! I've owned a ton of vintage CB 750's, CB550's and a couple CL350's. All fun bikes and mostly cafed' them out. This one still has a long way to go as far as add ons. I've already begun with a stainless brake line and Honda NT650 Hawk bars. Does anybody have any thoughts as to the Mutazu backrest/luggage rack on ebay? Next on my list is Oxford heated grips, some Nelson Rigg luggage and tail bag and some new turn signals.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Offline viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
Re: New to me 1993 750 Nighthawk
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
Sounds like your off to a good start. How does the brake feel now with the stainless line?
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
Wow - That's a clean 93!
I have a '96 I've set up for sport/touring.
I recently did the stainless brake line - wow - what a difference.
I've owned mine for 10 years and it's never left me stranded.

DD

Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »
I don't have any direct experience with the Mutazu racks but I know that they have been discussed on here and found to be extremely poor quality, in fit, finish, and construction.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

made of meat

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:17:03 PM »
Look'n good; Welcome!
Every day is a gift.

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:01:45 PM »
Sounds like your off to a good start. How does the brake feel now with the stainless line?
Front brake feels great, definitely more responsive. Fork springs, thats another story and one that will have to be addressed more sooner than later.

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 10:04:01 PM »
Wow - That's a clean 93!

DD
Thanks DD. The front fender has some clear coat issues. I would like to try my hand at repainting it some time this late fall or winter. I've read some good things about duplicolor.

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
I don't have any direct experience with the Mutazu racks but I know that they have been discussed on here and found to be extremely poor quality, in fit, finish, and construction.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Thats very disappointing. I almost pulled the trigger this afternoon on one. I'm glad I didn't.  Thanks for the tip. I will definitely keep my eye on ebay and once my post count gets to where it needs to be I will check these classifieds on here. My son has been riding with me since he was 5 years old. Of course we started slow. Sitting him on the bike and starting it up, letting him get used to the sounds and vibrations, to little jaunts around the subdivision, to church and back on Sunday to finally graduating on afternoon rides with me. He's 11 now, and I won't let him ride with me till I find a sissy bar, I just feel safer with that back there for him

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »
Look'n good; Welcome!
Thanks Adventurer! Your Nighthawk is coming along nicely!

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »
Look'n good; Welcome!
Thanks Adventurer! Your Nighthawk is coming along nicely!

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked with her.
Every day is a gift.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
Front brake feels great, definitely more responsive. Fork springs, thats another story and one that will have to be addressed more sooner than later.

Ah yes, fork springs...  I replaced mine with progressive springs - Vast improvement - I also installed progressive shocks in the rear.
Those and radial tires (I really like the Avon Storm series) made a dramatic improvement.
BTW - I just got a pair of Avon Storm 3D X-M's delivered today as mine were due.
They still have boodles of tread, but age is making them questionable.
(Avon recommends tires be discarded after 7 years - maybe they could last another season, but I figure the hospital bills would be a LOT more expensive
I'll let you know how they work out in case you're thinking about getting some new rim skins.
 bkr3
DD

DD

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »

Ah yes, fork springs...  I replaced mine with progressive springs - Vast improvement - I also installed progressive shocks in the rear.
Those and radial tires (I really like the Avon Storm series) made a dramatic improvement.
BTW - I just got a pair of Avon Storm 3D X-M's delivered today as mine were due.
(Avon recommends tires be discarded after 7 years - maybe they could last another season, but I figure the hospital bills would be a LOT more expensive
I'll let you know how they work out in case you're thinking about getting some new rim skins.
 bkr3
DD
DD Please do. I have Pirelli Demon on mine. I'll do the same

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »
Wow - That's a clean 93!

DD
DD I'm curious as to how you have set up your Nighthawk for Sport Touring. I found some saddlebags and tailbag both from Nelson Rigg and a system from Ventura racks. My dilemma is I dont want my saddle bags just hanging off of my bike,looking out of shape. I have searched but cant find any saddlebag support brackets.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »

[/quote]
 bkr3
DD
[/quote]
DD Please do. I have Pirelli Demon on mine. I'll do the same

DD I'm curious as to how you have set up your Nighthawk for Sport Touring. I found some saddlebags and tailbag both from Nelson Rigg and a system from Ventura racks. My dilemma is I don't want my saddle bags just hanging off of my...

[/quote]

Let's see.. Well.. What HAVE I done to make my 'Hawk Tour friendly...? Hmm - front to back...

I've got a Rifle Sport firing up front with a short windshield for summer and a tall one for when it gets cold.
Better mileage with improved airflow and and I can ride all day without ending up covered in bugs. 
I added the Rifle dashboard for a clock / compass.

Already mentioned the Progressive suspension - big difference from stock.
The stainless brake line we already talked about.

I just put Avon Storm 3D X-M tires which are even better than the Avon Storm and Azaro they replaced.
I ran the stock sizes up front, but the previous rear was a 140/80 17 and the new one is a 150/70 17 which is a bit closer to the original tire spec.
Both fit fine. (Avon's don't make a 140 rear in the Storm 3D X-M) 
Once you go radial, you'll never go back to bias-ply tires.

Front fender extender (less splash and black/yellow two tone look.   

I put on Grand Tour grips, a throttle paddle and a positioner (~cruise control) which is great for the interstate.
Dual Fiamm airhorns (for when I want to be noticed) that screw right into the fork reflector spots, and I cut off the reflector screws and glued them to the horns.
I used the stock horn mount for the horn relay.

Case savers are a must because at some point non-rubber parts will meet the pavement.
I put hinged highway pegs on my savers so I have three different places for footrests on a long ride.

Corbin gunfighter seat - Sooooo much more comfortable saddle... :jkam:

I've got a Joe Rocket Manta tank bag for little stuff and tail and saddle soft bags from ExL I picked up on EBay.
They do "just hang off" but when you don't need them, they disappear completely, and you can easily carry the whole set.
The bags strap to the rear grab bars.

Let's see... Oh yeah, when I replaced my gears I went with a 17 tooth front and the stock size 38 tooth rear. 
Before that it always felt like there should have been another gear up past 5th...
You do lose a bit of jackrabbit start, but then I don't do that. 
The heavy duty X-Ring chain goes forever without adjustment.

I added a Crusader radar detector, but I think these may no longer be available.
Too bad.  Never been surprised by a cop.

A couple of other 'Hawk tips I can pass on if you are touring, you are racking up some miles...

When your battery is due get a maintenance free gel battery and a battery tender - It will last pretty much forever.
If you do your own maintenance, get a set of quick fuel disconnects.
 Instead of bruised knuckles and ten minutes of colorful language, it takes two seconds to detach the fuel line.
I bought two sets and used the second one for an auxiliary tank when you need access to the top end of a warm or running engine.

UNI makes a stock fitting Hawk filter that can be cleaned and reused indefinitely - mine is still like new after 10 years.
 A tad more expensive, but not when you add up paper replacements at $30 a pop.

I just looked up to see what I covered, and it's starting to look like a novel..  fans1

Anyway, perhaps some of my brain dump will help you with your NightHawk.

Regards
 bkr3
DD

DD

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »
DD Thanks for the reply! I like to read novels lol! Thanks so much for the tips.  Looks like I have a few more additions to my add on lists. I have really started bonding with this bike. I love what you did with yours!

Online alwhite00

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 06:29:49 AM »
I have a very nice hondaline backrest with all of the mounting hardware and correct spacers if you are interested.  $140.00 plus the ride.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved