Username: Password:

Author Topic: Will WD-40 Destroy Your Motorcycle Chain O-Rings?  (Read 341 times)

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
Will WD-40 Destroy Your Motorcycle Chain O-Rings?
« on: July 09, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
lots of myths got distroyed

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
Re: Will WD-40 Destroy Your Motorcycle Chain O-Rings?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »
Excellent, informative video. Thanx.

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:35:38 AM »
Excellent, informative video. Thanx.
You welcome
Since majority of WD40 is kerosene then its fine using it to clean the chain since most manufacturers recommend using kerosene to clean the chain.
After cleaning it I use DuPont Teflon Chain Saver perhaps best chain lube out there and does not attract dirt and stays on the chain

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:51:19 AM »
Just not buying it.... The Official WD40 site: https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts says that the formula is still secret.  As for it being mostly kerosene, I'm not buying that in the least.  I feel it would eat the paint off the walls when using it to remove crayon.

Not that I'd use WD40 for a motorcycle chain anyway, I don't feel it's a heavy enough lube.  I recall using something a long time ago - it foamed when you put it on, and smelled vaguely like bananas.  Now - when I have a chain - I use chain wax.

Offline viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:47:45 AM »
WD-40 and a tooth brush works great for cleaning the chain. I spray on chain wax after....
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline usmc3531

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1996 nighthawk

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
Just not buying it.... The Official WD40 site: https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts says that the formula is still secret.  As for it being mostly kerosene, I'm not buying that in the least.  I feel it would eat the paint off the walls when using it to remove crayon.

Not that I'd use WD40 for a motorcycle chain anyway, I don't feel it's a heavy enough lube.  I recall using something a long time ago - it foamed when you put it on, and smelled vaguely like bananas.  Now - when I have a chain - I use chain wax.
I think the video and myself stated WD40 is great cleaner then you can lube as usual whatever you prefer.
Having said above lot of sport touring riders use WD40 only and these guys put lot more miles on their bikes then average rider.
Personally think its safe on chains.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 01:15:42 PM »
I've gotten "boodles" of miles on chains using nothing but WD-40. 

BUT - That only applies to O-ring / X-ring chains because they are internally lubricated with grease.
These chain types really need more cleaning (to prevent rust) and grime build up removal than they need "lubrication", because they already ARE lubricated where it counts - At all of the moving part points.

The WD-40 does a great job at removing dirt and grime, which is primarily what these chain types need.
Personally, I'm with the other posters here, in that after I let the WD-40 cleaned chain dry, I spray on some silicone lube, which doesn't attract dirt and does a great job protecting against rust.  As far as how much it actually lubricates - I expect not that much compared to the internal grease.
 bkr3
DD
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved