Username: Password:

Author Topic: Scariest ride ever  (Read 913 times)

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
Scariest ride ever
« on: July 14, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »
I'm less than a week out from a multi-day ride up to and along the southern shore of Lake Superior and, earlier in the week, I came to the decision that my rear tire was too far gone to put another 1000+ miles on it.

Normally I'd order a tire online, pull the wheel off myself, and take it to a buddy with a tire changer that will swap out my rubber for $25. The problem was that I had a business trip from Wed-Fri this week, so there was no way I'd have time to do all that. So I called a shop that's done a little work for me before to have them do it.

Well, it turned out that most of their mechanics were going to be gone Fri-Mon for a race. They said if I could get it there Wed, it'd be done when I returned on Friday. Otherwise, they couldn't fit it in.

I got up Wednesday morning to ominous clouds. Walking out to the bike, the rain began. By the time I was 10 miles from home, I was riding through probably the worst downpour I've ever experienced on the bike...and I still had about 15 miles to go.

Not only was the rain bad, but I was also getting blasted with side gusts that had me fighting to stay in my lane.

All of this with a nearly bald rear tire. I arrived with a nearly terminal case of pucker-itis. Oh, and my 'weatherproof' riding gear...yeah, not so much. Pretty heavy leakage on my arms, legs and feet. I didn't feel fully dried out until the afternoon.

I don't need to do that again any time soon.
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
Re: Scariest ride ever
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:29:25 PM »
What gear were you wearing? Be good to know how it performs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:19:03 AM »
I thought I had enough rubber left when we took our trip out to Colorado.  We got caught over Monarch Pass on the last day and it turns out I did not.   It poured and while the rubber I had was doing fine with dry roads, it was not fine on wet ones.  New tires went on as soon as I got home.  I've learned my lesson and probably change tires too often now.

Offline oilfield_trash

• View Profile
  • Bike: Super Tenere
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »
I think everybody gets caught out once. For me it was one last 250mi ride on my old Hayabusa. The tire corded then punctured when I pulled off for a stretch. It was $400 to have it towed on a Sunday afternoon. Fortunately, my mechanic was at the shop so I didn't have to get it towed twice. Now I stay pretty on top of tires.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
Wow, that doesn't sound fun at all. Glad you're okay.
Every day is a gift.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »
What gear were you wearing? Be good to know how it performs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jacket:  TourMaster Transition 3
Heaviest leakage midway down my left arm, but my right arm got it a bit too. Most likely culprits were the 'weatherproof' zippers for the shoulder/arm vents. Also had a fair amount come in through the neck, but there's not much that could be done about that.

Pants:  Scorpion EXO Pants
Significant leak on my left leg. Also probably the weatherproof zipper on the side.

Boots:  Bilt Typhoon
Supposedly waterproof. Not. This is my 3rd pair of Bilt boots. My first pair were very weather-resistant. When the soles on those wore away (very soft rubber), I replaced them with another pair of Bilt waterproof boots. Those leaked heavily. I replaced those after a couple of seasons with the Typhoons. Now that these have been tested and found wanting, I think I'll be looking to upgrade to a better brand next time.

Gloves:  Bilt Demons
I picked these up on sale for something like $29. They're touted as waterproof, but they're not. However, they're pretty well padded, so still decent for cold-weather riding.

Helmet:  Shoei Neotec
Shoeis are high-quality, but this storm was even too much for a good helmet. Water came in around the seal of my face shield. Not a lot, but enough to get my face wet.

I've heard it said there's really no such thing as truly waterproof riding gear -- even the best stuff is going to leak when exposed to enough water. I can't be too critical of my gear in this situation, because this was a storm I really had no business riding in. I like to consider myself a solid 3-season rider, but sometimes you have to accept the fact that you should be a in a vehicle with a roof and windows.

Offline Bogie

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1999 Nighthawk
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:21:55 AM »
Having been caught completely without gear, it might still make a difference even if it leaks? I think if I could find gear that just keeps my chest and "sitting area" dry it wouldn't be too bad. A good helmet is important though, that little bit of rain leaking through is way better than when I watched my fellow riders who choose not to wear a helmet get pelted by hail.

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 06:35:10 AM »
I think short of an aerostitch suit, no jacket/pants combo is completely dry.

My alpinestars gor-tex boots are pretty darn good, though.  As long as the frog toggs pant doesn't get above the boot, I'm usually high and dry in the feet department.

And my alpinestars Apex drystar gloves are also pretty close.  However, once you take them off when it's wet, it's very hard to put them back on as the insulation grabs your dampened fingers.

On a side note, the Michelin PR4-GT is by far the best wet road tire I have ever used.  The siping on that tire is amazing.  Very confident inspiring.

After the rain gets to a certain intensity (which sounds like it is way lighter than Baja endured), I'm pulling over at the next shelter, overpass, whatever, and waiting it out.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »
I always put on my rain-gear too late, thinking it's a brief shower and it will pass or just the opposite, put on the gear and it's never more than just a light rain.  Can't win.

Glad you made it to the shop okay, Baja.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
And my alpinestars Apex drystar gloves are also pretty close.  However, once you take them off when it's wet, it's very hard to put them back on as the insulation grabs your dampened fingers.

I had a pair of the Drystar gloves that a fellow forum member sold me on the cheap many years ago. I agree -- good rain protection. Sadly, my pair was a casualty when I crashed the Concours a few years back.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
  • Bike: CM400C CB250NH
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »
I used to get laughed at for showing up to group rides with my rain gear on, until the rain started....

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 06:24:13 AM »
Alan - you and I fish in the same hole.

During the summer here in south Louisiana, I'll take a chance w/out the rain gear.  Shoot - it's practically raining 24 hours a day anyway with 80-plus % humidity and 90-plus degrees.  Getting wetter (if that's even possible) is kind of refreshing.

However everywhere else, I don't care if the sky is cloudless, I won't leave camp (or hotel) without my frog togs.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
Yup,  Frog Togs here too!  I bought them huge to fit over any gear I might be wearing,  it'd  probably fit over a backpack too if I ever wore one.

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 cb750
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
The frogtoggs you guys use.....do you wrap your legs with a bungee(or similar) to keep them away from hot surfaces?  I wouldn't think they'd do so well flapping on a muffler. I was just given a free set of rain gear. Untested by me as of yet. Before I was surprised by this gifted gear I was thinking of using frogs.  Is there a special riding togg out there I'm unaware of that has Heat protection where it matters? Hopefully my gear will hold up when I need it it. But it would be good to know what to get if it doesn't or when it's worn out.
Thanks!
McG
McG99

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
I have a plain dark green 2-piece rain-suit that I don't even remember from where I got it. It does snug up around the ankles, which keeps them far enough from the pipes to resist melting.  I'll try to remember to check the maker's info.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »
I've got a few heat damaged areas on the inner side of the right leg, all cosmetic damage. If its really raining you'll have nothing to worry about.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved