Username: Password:

Author Topic: tool storage box?  (Read 354 times)

Offline nicktarantelli

• View Profile
  • Bike: 650sc
tool storage box?
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »
hi folks, i have an 84 650sc which i just recently re-acquired after about 6 years. this bike has always been garaged, and is in pretty good shape. i'm lucky to have it again. this makes me the  2nd and 4th owner!

anyway, 1 thing that i'm confused about- and was when i owned it before- it the tool storage area just ahead of the rear wheel, on the left side.  on my bike, it is just an open (to the side) plastic compartment.... no lid.  a spring loaded push-pull shaft, which doesn't seem to do anything. nothing to hold a tool kit in place.

i know this is a really minor thing, but it has me curious. there must be a lid of some sort for this, but i can't picture how it fits or what keeps it in place. i have a set of hard bags on the bike- so i'm not short on storage space- but i'd love it if someone could post a picture of what this is supposed to look like!

thanks

nick t

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
Re: tool storage box?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:52:02 PM »
There is a lid and it's very easily lost. There was a guy who made a mold from an original and was making replacements. That was a few years ago. Idk where you can find one now.

Offline Amemason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 04:29:05 AM »
There is a good story to recommend.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »
My '83 550 was missing the cover when I got it. Once I learned it was supposed to have one, I went to ebay and found one for, I think, $30.

It was only after I received and replaced it that I learned the things were considered darn near unobtainable. Guess I just got lucky.
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline javastheory

• View Profile
  • Bike: 85 CB650SC
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:27:45 PM »
any chance you'd be able to post dimensions for that part? I'd like to try to 3D print one.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved