Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mississippi River Run  (Read 76 times)

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
Mississippi River Run
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
A friend and I planned to take a weekend trip over to the Mississippi River and ride the Great River Road as far north as we could get in a day, then come back down the other side on Day 2.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

The day before departure, my friend let me know that he wasn't going to be able to do the overnighter and had to stay within about an hour of home (he just listed his house on the market and had to be able to head home if an offer came in). So we modified our plan:  We met for breakfast, road a bunch of the Alphabet Roads in southwest WI for the rest of the morning, then had some lunch before he split for home and I headed over to the River.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to write up a full ride report. So here are a few photos I took on my outing.

Lunch stop at the Red Rooster Cafe in Mineral Point, WI

Lunch was a 'pasty' - basically a Cornish pot pie.

One of numerous river towns.

Shoreline, scenery, curvy road, blue skies -- not much more to ask for on a ride.

Lots landslide evidence from recent heavy rains.

About the last hotel in La Crosse, WI, with an available room.

La Crosse's Oktoberfest grounds taken over for the weekend by Irishfest.

When in Rome...

Enjoying a great performance by Skerryvore; I guess I'd call them Celtic country-rock.

Finished up Saturday in a classic Wisconsin tavern watching the Brewers win a good one.

A foggy, misty start on Sunday.

The road to and from the Cut is the closest we have to switchbacks in these parts.

Used the 'curvy' route option on my Scenic nav app for the way home and came across this ski jump in the middle of nowhere.

I made it back home by 12:00; enough time to get some projects done around the house.

One thing of note about this ride -- the incredible number of bikes out on the roads. I don't know if it was the weather, the area, or what, but I literally got tired of doing 'the wave'. I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say I probably came across around 500 other riders.

Get on your bikes and ride!

Online Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
Re: Mississippi River Run
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:23:22 AM »
Nice write-up! I've been through that area numerous times (in the cage), usually during hunting season. Beautiful scenery. I'd like to try it on the bike some time but right now job keeps me on a short leash.
Thanks for sharing!
Measure twice, cut once

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
I'm really thinking that my 2018 big bike tour is going to be a Huck Finn Ole Man River adventure.  This lends credence to that idea!!

Thanks for sharing.

Online Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:21:17 AM »
That's a great road Baja.  Have you been to Wildcat Mountain State Park?  If not, next time you are out in that area take a detour to the area, it's unique albeit short ride.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved