Username: Password:

Author Topic: After 11 years, I got a new bike.  (Read 327 times)

Offline MrF

• View Profile
  • Bike: '16 V-Strom 650
After 11 years, I got a new bike.
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
I loved my Nighthawk enough to keep it around for 11 years, despite its age and quirks and everything.  As with any older bike,  the time spent on unplanned maintenance tends to go up as the years progress.  Before I had kids, it was no big deal to spend an evening in the garage chasing down an electrical gremlin or pulling the carbs off to track down a fuel leak.  My priorities for my time are a little different now with a toddler and another one on the way so I started browsing a few months ago for a newer replacement for the NH.

I finally settled on the V-Strom 650 based on the ergonomics and what a lot of former NH owners had to say about it.  I watched Craigslist and Cycletrader for weeks without much luck.  My timing wasn't the best, but I wanted to get the Wee Strom in time to still have a chance of selling the NH during the riding season.  The used market was so dry, that I was considering dropping the cash on a 2017 model.  I had an odd experience at the local dealer though.  When I asked what the sticker price was the salesman said that we couldn't talk any numbers until I'd decided to buy the bike.  He said to look at Suzuki's website for the MSRP.  When I told him this seemed a little backwards, he said that once we sat down to negotiate he would find a plan that worked for my budget.  Well, MrF don't play those games, so I went back to Craigslist.

On a whim, I decided to call a dealer that was about 45 minutes out of my way.  As it turns out, they had a 'new' 2016 on the floor.  The salesman was very upfront over the phone that they wanted to move the bike so I went to take a look at it.  Overall it was the best experience I've ever had at a dealer.  I bought a bike from a bike guy instead of a greasy salesman.  I offered a little under MSRP as an out the door price and they accepted it!  They even trailered the bike and dropped it off at my house after the set up.  So this week I took the odometer off of zero on my new V-strom!

I'll miss some things about the NH, not the least of which are the comments about it.  I won't miss cleaning the carbs every other season, or chasing down the random things that break.  I'm excited about fuel injection, a 400W charging system, fuel gage, and a gear indicator though.  Here are the first two shots I have of it.  I'll be putting the NH up in the classified section in a little while.  I'll still stick around here though and poke my nose into things from time to time.

1997 Nighthawk 750 (Sold) |  2016 V-Strom 650

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
Re: After 11 years, I got a new bike.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 12:56:15 AM »
Congrats! Its a great bike.I had a SV650 and basically the same engine as in storm.I loved my SV best handling bike I owned.

SV has a huge dedicated forum which should keep you updated on mods and maintenance.These guys are passionate about their bikes as NH owners do here only SV owners are lot more numerous.
Enjoy it!

Offline MrF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 07:10:58 PM »
Thanks, Rubo!  I've already been poking around a V-Strom forum, I'll check out some SV stuff as well.  I love the handling.  The performance numbers on the motor are actually a hair lower than the '91-03 NH's, but peak torque is at a much lower RPM so it feels snappier.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:13:15 PM »
Good choice Mr F.  Strom is a great bike with a proven motor.  Hope you enjoy it.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
Nice Bike, MrF,
It's funny, I've also owned my 96 750 for 11 years, and before I did, I was also actively looking at your new bike.
In my case, I've finally got it to the way I like it.
Maybe my bike had better previous owners, because my problems have been virtually non-existent.

Anyway, good luck with the new scoot !!

Keep the rubber on the bottom...

bkr3
DD
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline MrF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
Thanks, HogDog and DD!  The weather here is killing me though.  Rain most of the weekend and forecast for most of tomorrow, so I'll probably be taking the car to work. 

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
My new ride (as of March) and I applaud your choice:

Over 5,000 miles in already, and no issues at all.

The hardest thing I've had to get used to is the snatchier throttle response at low RPMs (below 3k). But once I got a little better at feathering the clutch, that became less of an issue.
Get on your bikes and ride!

Online hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
That's developing new muscle memory to fuel injection v/s carbs.  Your brain was conditioned to actually apply throttle a split instant before you actually want it because it knows that with carbs, there will be a slight delay.  No you have to untrain your brain.

Offline oilfield_trash

• View Profile
  • Bike: Super Tenere
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
Nice bike. I enjoyed that motor in the SV650 I owned for a bit.

Offline MrF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
Thanks, folks.  I have 25 miles on it so far and I'm still getting used to the throttle, but I'm really happy with my choice.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved