Username: Password:

Author Topic: My '96 CB750 "Dragon Bike"  (Read 618 times)

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
My '96 CB750 "Dragon Bike"
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
So, I've had my '96 NightHawk for 11 years now, and I thought I'd share some photos I took just after she had a bath...

Thanks (Once Again!) to Mollusc for helping me out with how to post Flickr pics.. 
I updated the post with actual pics....

My '96 front view...

Notable mods: 
Avon Storm 3-D front tire
Fork Boots (I have 2 miles of gravel before I get to pavement - Ding proofs the fork tubes / seals)
Rifle Fairing with sport windscreen
Progressive fork springs

Right Side:

Notable Mods:
Crusaider Radar (antenna attached under front of fairing)
Fiamm Horn(s)
Case Savers / Pegs
Joe Rocket Manta XL Tank Bag
Corbin Gunfighter Seat
Saddlemen Gel Fleece Pad

Left Side:

Notable Mods:
Front Fender Extension
Fiamm Horn(s)
Hel Stainess Steel Brake Line
Case Savers / Pegs
17 Tooth Front Sprocket
Clear Rear turn signal covers

Case Saver / Peg Closeup:

Right Rear Closeup:

Notable Mods:
Progressive Rear shocks
Avon Storm Tire(s)
Gold X-Ring Chain

Since I have a long ride on dirt, it isn't often the bike is this clean!

haphap

Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline mollusc

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
Re: My '96 CB750 "Dragon Bike"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:43:03 PM »
Is the Flickr share window, choose BBCode. You'll know you have the right one when the tag markers are square brackets instead of angle brackets.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

made of meat

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
DD,
You can delete the code before and after bracketIMGbracket and bracketbackslashIMGbracket and the image will post but you will remove the backlinks (a good thing).
Nice looking Hawk!
Measure twice, cut once

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
Looks a lot like my old 96, but I had the smaller Superbike fairing.  Good looking bike.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
DD,
You can delete the code before and after bracketIMGbracket and bracketbackslashIMGbracket and the image will post but you will remove the backlinks (a good thing).
Nice looking Hawk!
Aye Captain!
Thanks for the tip... I updated the post...
DD

DD

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »
Looks a lot like my old 96, but I had the smaller Superbike fairing.  Good looking bike.
Thank you sir... 
I also looked at the Rifle Superbike, but went for the additional protection (and side pockets).
I'll bet you miss your '96 - I know I would...
Regards
DD

DD

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
That's a beautiful bike.  I had one just like it with many of the same modifications you have done.  I don't really miss it, though.  I didn't have too much sentimental feeling for the '96.

On the other hand, I miss my '84 RWB 700s a LOT.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »
Oops forgot a pic...
The Rifle fairing has a dash, so I added a clock, altimeter (barometer) crusader radar and compass/thermometer.
The radar detector also picks up traffic alerts, and displays a voltmeter and temperature.
The white dot is a flashing blue (when detected) LED radar/laser alert.  It also provides a freeze alert below 33 degrees.
What can I say.. I tend to go "geek"...

pics44

DD

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
That's a beautiful bike.  I had one just like it with many of the same modifications you have done.  I don't really miss it, though.  I didn't have too much sentimental feeling for the '96.

On the other hand, I miss my '84 RWB 700s a LOT.
Thanks for the compliment.
As as far as missing a bike, I think a lot of that is the memories that are made while you had a particular machine...
In my case, my bike got me out of the marriage from hell, so even if that were on a moped, I'd still miss it!

I think one reason there are still some "dedicated" NH fans is because although the Hawks were not at the pinnacle of perfection in any one area, they perform very well in just about all areas.
To refresh your memory....
    Reasonable price
    Good MPG
    Ultra Reliable
    Low Maintenance
    Good Parts Availability (for a 14-26 year old bike)
    Multi-year interchangeable parts
Since it's a "standard" you can actually ride it all day relatively comfortably, take it on a trip with saddlebags... like the Make Mine Vanilla article..
In any case, I find it a lot more fun to own, for all of the above reasons, than my VF1000R was...  Yes, she was pretty, but a bhatch to live with...
 bkr3

DD

Offline oilfield_trash

• View Profile
  • Bike: Super Tenere
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »
I love the fork gaiters. The fairing is a bit big for my tastes but I'm sure it's useful. Good to see a NH in such good condition and being used for what it was made for...riding.

How do you like the Progressive rear shocks. I've been thinking of updating my suspension.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »
I love the fork gaiters. The fairing is a bit big for my tastes but I'm sure it's useful. Good to see a NH in such good condition and being used for what it was made for...riding.

How do you like the Progressive rear shocks. I've been thinking of updating my suspension.
Howdy OT
Yep - Update your suspension - You'll be glad you did. 
The shocks work well at soaking up the small stuff while preventing big bangs on the nastier bumps..
Maybe that's why they are ... progressive.....
With my stock shocks it was really difficult (impossible) to set a pre-load that worked full spectrum..
I put in new Progressive fork springs at the same time and they made a big positive difference in handling for me.
Since I ride on dirt the fork boots were a must.. Some people don't like the look, but with boots your forks (and seals) will last a LOT longer.
Thanks for your post.
Regards
DD

DD

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:40:56 AM »
Thank you sir... 
I also looked at the Rifle Superbike, but went for the additional protection (and side pockets).
I'll bet you miss your '96 - I know I would...
Regards
DD

I don't miss it that much, I gave it to my brother, so I still get to ride it on occasion  haphap

I had a Tsunami fairing before the Rifle, but my son crashed and the fairing got destroyed.  I got the Rifle cheap on eBay.  It worked well enough, but wasn't as pretty.  I took the 96 out to the first big NH rally at KSL, and it was called the Barbie set - my tent, jacket and bike matched. 

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
I don't miss it that much, I gave it to my brother, so I still get to ride it on occasion 
haphap
I had a Tsunami fairing before the Rifle, but my son crashed and the fairing got destroyed.  I got the Rifle cheap on eBay.  It worked well enough, but wasn't as pretty.  I took the 96 out to the first big NH rally at KSL, and it was called the Barbie set - my tent, jacket and bike matched. 
Barbie Set - Too funny...  I guess if your 96 is still around there is less to miss....
So what do you generally ride?  IS there a choice in your garage, or a favorite?
 ridn2

DD

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
Yeah, some good natured ribbing, but what can I say, I like yellow.

But, in my old age, I like having wind protection and carrying capacity.  I have an 03 ST1300A (in ugly silver/gray) and a 95 Voyager.  The Voyager is kind of ugly - some cracked plastics and torn seat, but is very comfortable, gets decent mileage and handles pretty good.  The ST is fast and fairly comfortable, but I think I preferred the ST1100.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »
Yeah, some good natured ribbing, but what can I say, I like yellow.
But, in my old age, I like having wind protection and carrying capacity.  I have an 03 ST1300A (in ugly silver/gray) and a 95 Voyager.  The Voyager is kind of ugly - some cracked plastics and torn seat, but is very comfortable, gets decent mileage and handles pretty good.  The ST is fast and fairly comfortable, but I think I preferred the ST1100.
I'm a big fan of the "sun" shade as well. 
I'm right there with you, except for the tent.. Yellow bike, yellow jacket, yellow helmet, yellow striped pants...
I'm also a fairing fan, and the Rifle Sport does a decent job. With soft luggage I have room for what I need.
 cheers3
The Voyager doesn't look bad, and with a bit of new upholstery...  I know wet foam isn't the most comfortable perch.

Your STi is a great looking bike!  I like the silver grey, myself.
It would probably look great in a total solar eclipse...   
Hey ! You're in luck! 
There's one on Monday, and you have a choice of bikes...

Two words - Road Trip!
 ridn2

DD

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 04:49:27 AM »
I wish.  The ST site has a couple of rides set up to watch the eclipse from different locations.  Unfortunately, my wife has health issues, and for the most part, the only riding I get anymore is back and forth to work.  Considering selling the bikes as they're hardly getting any miles.  I originally traded a Concours for the Voyager, hoping it would enable her to ride, but that hasn't happened, and doesn't look promising.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
I wish.  The ST site has a couple of rides set up to watch the eclipse from different locations.  Unfortunately, my wife has health issues, and for the most part, the only riding I get anymore is back and forth to work.  Considering selling the bikes as they're hardly getting any miles.  I originally traded a Concours for the Voyager, hoping it would enable her to ride, but that hasn't happened, and doesn't look promising.
So sorry to hear that...  I'd put a few dollars into the Voyager before trying to sell it, if it were mine.
If you sell both, your going to miss the two wheeled option... IMHO

As far as the eclipse, it's probably the last total either of us will get a chance to see.
In my case, it's over 1,000 miles and travel across several states to get there.
If I recall, you're in South Carolina somewhere, so you might be able to be in the total path by
So sorry to hear that...
As far as the eclipse, it's probably the last total I'll get a chance to see, and I have to travel 1,000 miles across several states to get to a view spot.
You're in central South Carolina according to your profile, so you won't have much (or any) of a commute...
Here's the map from NASA.. Scroll down and there is one for S Ca..
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps

Even if you do have to drive, take the day off on Monday, put your wife and a picnic lunch in the "family truckster" and go make a memory....
Regards

DD

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 04:42:39 AM »
I've ridden the Voyager to work the last couple days.  Forgot how good the wind protection is on that thing, it's almost too hot to ride.  The bike definitely doesn't meed much mechanically, still runs smooth and pretty quick for a big touring rig.  Needs some cosmetic help is all.

Yeah, we're right in the middle of it -  there are parties all over the place here and lots of people taking Monday off.  I'll be at work as usual - got to save the days off for the doc appointments and such.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »
I've ridden the Voyager to work the last couple days.  Forgot how good the wind protection is on that thing, it's almost too hot to ride.  The bike definitely doesn't meed much mechanically, still runs smooth and pretty quick for a big touring rig.  Needs some cosmetic help is all.

Yeah, we're right in the middle of it -  there are parties all over the place here and lots of people taking Monday off.  I'll be at work as usual - got to save the days off for the doc appointments and such.
Yep - Big fairing = Big Difference
Since it's running well, it would also look lots better with a repaired seat... and it would probably be more comfortable too..
As for the eclipse, at least take a two minute break when it gets as dark as midnight somewhere between 2:30 and 2:45 on Monday.
Just because it's local doesn't mean it isn't special. 
With the sun completely covered, you don't even need glasses (not true when there is ANY sunlight showing)... Then you NEED them.
Out West, there are journeys of epic proportions taking place to see it, and I wish I could, but I can't, so I won't... 
viol
Poor me... Poor me...
Later Gator

DD

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »
Yeah, I saw on the news, that we have between 500 and 700k people showing up in the area for the eclipse.  Didn't realize we're in one of the areas were it'll last the longest.  I'm going to try to get home by then, but we'll see how work goes.

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »
That's a beautiful bike DD.  You've given me some ideas for mine!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »
That's a beautiful bike DD.  You've given me some ideas for mine!
Were I Elvis... I'd say...  "Thank You! .. Thank You Very Much!"
haphap
Glad you liked the pics...
I'm glad you got some take aways..
You can always make a good bike better!
I just saw your red bike - Looks really clean.
A big safety improvement at relatively low cost is a replacement of the beep beep horn..
On your CB 750 the front fork reflectors make an ideal horn mount location... It's like it was designed for it.
Hacksaw off the screw on the back of the reflector and glue it back on the horn...
I used the beep beep spot for mounting a horn relay.
Anyway, thanks for the compliment!
DD

DD

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
I took my reflectors off, and lost one of them. My thoughts the reflectors was to mount some cree led lights there. Funny you mentioned the take aways. My battery did die and I went to Batteries Plus and picked up an AGM. I've been tossing up the PIAA or FIAMM as far as the horn replacement.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
Good Stuff Gordon...
Mounting aside, do yourself the favor of a decent horn so you can be HEARD over the MP3 in the car changing into your lane.
If it sounds like an 18 wheeler, chances are the driver will react. (Personal experience)
For your battery...
Pick up a "Battery Tender" or junior version of it.
They include a harness and quick hookup so you can keep the battery fully charged.
AGM's like to be kept full and if so, pretty well last forever.
Mine is now 10 years old and still has new specs on a tester.
This is especially true (charging) if you don't ride your bike for extended periods.
Regards...

DD

Offline gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
Thanks DD, I have the Junior, and have it hooked up to my Hawk.  I had a prior co worker that had a WOLO air horn on his VTX. That think was loud. I drive a  semi, and would love to have something as loud as my semi horn.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved