Username: Password:

Author Topic: My '96 CB750 "Dragon Bike"  (Read 1662 times)

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
Re: My '96 CB750 "Dragon Bike"
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »
Thanks DD, I have the Junior, and have it hooked up to my Hawk.  I had a prior co worker that had a WOLO air horn on his VTX. That think was loud. I drive a  semi, and would love to have something as loud as my semi horn.
I've heard those WOLOs are good..
I had bought something similar, but could't find an easy place to mount it (before my fairing) so I went with the fork reflector mounts.
It seemed an interesting coincidence that the horns and reflectors used the same size thread.... anyway...
With any decent horn you'll need to add a relay because there isn't enough power.
It's pretty simple wiring..
One other thing I did was to add a cigarette lighter type plug when I put in the horn relay so I have a 12 volt power source without having to turn on the ignition.  It works great for phone charging and stuff-like-that-there... haphap

Have a good one, Gordon!
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline deaconblues082

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 cb550sc
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »
Beautiful bike! For a ridden Honda it sure is impeccably clean, Bravo Sir!!

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 10:50:47 AM »
Beautiful bike! For a ridden Honda it sure is impeccably clean, Bravo Sir!!
Thank You!
Thank You Very Much...
A hunka hunka burnin' Thank You!
 haphap

DD

NormH3

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
@DesertDragon lookie what showed up. Another about a 2 hour drive from me. 

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »
Hey Norm,
If you like YELLOW (proven by scientific testing to be the fastest color made)...
Looks pretty sweet to me!
Already has a Corbin Gunfighter, tail box. bikini fairing on it.. If you like those..
Even if you don't, no permanent alterations.
Already has a centerstand and case savers, which are must haves...
I couldn't see a defect, except maybe for a slightly askew right front turn signal and maybe worn tires..
It looks like it was well cared for... After you pick it up, head West and I'll meet you at the Grand Canyon...
 ridn2

DD

NormH3

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
I won't be buying this one. The guy thinks its worth $3400 and wants $2900. Thinks he will easily sell it in the spring for his asking price.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
I don't know the particulars, but I paid $3,000 for mine.
I don't regret it either.

DD

NormH3

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 04:05:03 PM »
I don't know the particulars, but I paid $3,000 for mine.
I don't regret it either.

I wouldn't have bought yours either. :)

NormH3

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
I posted the link on the forum for others that might be interested. This is it.     https://york.craigslist.org/mcy/d/honda-750-nighthawk/6435510358.html

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
Great post and great look’n bike. Cool you’ve got some dash accessories too; Hadn’t seen that on a NH.
Every day is a gift.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »
I wouldn't have bought yours either. :)
In the spring I doubt he'll have a problem getting asking price, like he said.
That scoot looks super clean and has some nice accessories, and according to the ad, pretty much everything wear-wise has been replaced.
Unless you do all of your own maintenance, that will be money you don't need to spend on a bike that needs work.
If the Pilot Activs are also new... adds to the equation.

I guess my point is, I'm sure you can find a lower price, but that doesn't mean you'll find a better VALUE. 
Maybe you will. 
Good luck.

I bought my bike in the late spring, not the best time for a low price, but then since I also had just doubled my money on the sale of a showroom new looking VF1000R, it was really only a $500 bike.
Again, for me, it was worth it...  because..
It's going to be 70 F today with light winds and I have a 100 mile errand...
From the economic perspective, should I take the 27 mpg cage or the 50 mpg bike... hmm..
From the "I love to ride" perspective...
Decision made.
ridn2

DD

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
Great post and great look’n bike. Cool you’ve got some dash accessories too; Hadn’t seen that on a NH.
Thnks for the compliment, ADV.
nice1
The Rifle Sport has a dashboard option which makes for a convenient gadget center..
Had a great ride today - empty interstate, new pavement, great weather.. All good!
 bkr3

DD

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 04:39:49 AM »
I do like that yellow.  My brother still has mine if I ever want it back, but honestly, the last time I rode it, the pegs feel way too high for me now.  Not sure I'll ever get back on it.

I had the Tsunami on mine first, and nothing looks better on the NH750.  After my son crashed it and destroyed the fairing, I found a used Rifle Superbike.  Not as sexy, but works well.  The bike still needed some luggage options.  There are a couple that fit the euro cb750 that I thought would work, but never had the $500+ it would take to try it.

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 06:34:09 AM »
I learned a long time ago that the market drives the price.  Something is worth what people are willing to pay.  $3,000.00 for any NH750 seems way off the mark to me, but again, the market will tell.

(Disclaimer:  I'm not going to make many friends with the following paragraph.  Go ahead and flame away if you must.  This is just my opinion and not intended to be a personal insult to anyone.)

In my opinion, the NH was a much better motorcycle 20 years ago than it is today.  The improvements made in the motorcycle industry since then, many of them coming from Honda, have dated the NH to the point of nostalgia, in my opinion.  This would apply to any market within the motorcycle industry, but the return of the standard (or at least the standard riding position) in the new lines over the past 5-7 years makes this even more applicable today.  Fuel Injection, computer controls, ABS, hydraulic brake improvements, suspension dampening and valving technology, using the engine as a stressed member of the frame, ergonomical improvements and adjustability, wind and heat management, lighting, etc. etc.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, I could go on ad nauseum.  Honestly, any Japanese five year old 500-600 cc standard, worth around $3,000.00, is a WORLD better motorcycle than any nighthawk ever made.  If you'd ride one with an open mind, you would agree.

Now, a cream puff NH750 with 20,000 miles on it at $1,500.00?  Can't go wrong.  Especially if this is your first bike that you are going to drop anyway or you are looking for something that you can stretch in any direction to see what kind of bike (or market) you really want to get into.  You cam make a NH a sport tourer, a grocery getter/commuter, a weekend day tripper, or even a rudimentary dual sport pretty easily.

To the OP, in my opinion, you did very well to pass on that bike.  Sight unseen, it's only worth half of what he's asking.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
^^^^^ This.  All of this.  Absolutely spot on.  ^^^^^

I love my 700S.  But the handling difference between that and my NC is astounding.  True, the NC doesn't have the thrilling pickup of the S but it's not designed to have it.  I could have easily found a bike that did though.
made of meat

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Pants,
I'd agree that improvements have been made, and along with them come complexity.  And cost.
As far as your price spec... I would think it a challenge to find ANY low mileage pristine condition 750 for $1,500 - especially with a lot of accessories.
As far as standards... Not so many choices until recent years.
While asking price for that bike was on the high end, the guy will likely sell the bike close to it when the weather is good for riding...
As you said, the market at work.

Anyway, I guess it's all in what you want. 
I prefer a scooter that I can do all of the maintenance on myself, and there isn't much of that anyway.
BTW, I'm still averaging 50 mpg plus using Mobil super...
Can you show me a dependable, low maintenance model used 750 I can buy for around $1500 that can give me 50 mpg cruising at 75?
I don't think so....

DD

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »
There are literally dozens of mid sized motorcycles that will offer 50 mpg.  Admittedly, perhaps fewer that will give that at 75 mph for the entire tank.  I've gotten close to that on my FJR, although that was at over 6,000 feet altitude, and average mileage is more like 44.  The newer bikes are just as maintenance free as the nighthawk, and you can do everything yourself.  One exception is valve adjustments, which for the life of me, I can't understand why most modern bikes still use the shim/bucket design, other than as a scare tactic to extort maintenance money from the owner not willing to try to do it themselves.

But it's way beyond the actual motor.  The handling differences are incredible.  My NH had progressive springs, an aftermarket valve emulator, fork brace, and Progressive shocks.  And I'm telling you it was dog poop compared to a stock CB500X.  The dampening improvements alone are amazing.  Brakes?  Grab one handful of front brake on a wet oily road and you will fully appreciate ABS.  Lighting?  My NH's high beam wasn't as visible as the FZ-07's low beam.  And the tail light was merely a suggestion.  Ergonomics?  The 650 Versys runs circles around the NH for all day riding comfort.

$1,500 is definitely a stretch, and for a cream puff NH, is a good buy and will always be a good buy.  But the comparison was at $3,400.00, perhaps negotiable to $3,000.00.

I know this is a nighthawk forum.  I'm not trying to pick a fight - you must believe that.  Those that know me here will vouch for my integrity.  The NH was/is a very good motorcycle.  I had 2 of them.  But it doesn't compare at all to modern bikes.  And if you have to pay $3,000.00 to get one now, then there are MANY better values out there, in my opinion.  When I had my '96 NH, I thought that was the end of the world, it just couldn't get any better.  But I got into touring and things changed.  Regardless, I've ridden dozens of modern motorcycles and I'm just saying - the NH was good, but no where close to as good as it gets.

Offline jspringator

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
I rented a new HD Softail Classic in April 2012.  I was shocked that it handled better than my 85 Nighthawk; much better  I sold the NH shortly thereafter.
00 ST1100 ABS II
XT225 with Webcams cam, HC piston

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »
Pants-I don't think you will get flamed here unless you say Harley is the end all be all and everything else is trash.  No one with an open mind would say that any NH or any other bike from the 70s, 80s, or 90s is better than modern day machines.  Just like us old guys talk about how great cars were from our era, I know the Detroit muscle cars  I drooled over in the early to mid 70s don't hold a candle to todays cars in any comparison.   I have a friend who has owned Mustangs since the 70s and still thinks his late 90's 'stang is bad ass, but when Ford released the 4cylinder turbo version that puts out more power than his v8 he was disheartened.  We grow fond of our machines and the simplicity and dependability of the NH is what has kept me riding a 750 for ten years.  I have ridden your 1st FJR and several other newer bikes with a better spec sheet, but the kind of riding I like is done quite well on a NH.   If I had the $$ I would like to have Jay Leno's garage, but since I don't got to find what does it for me within the budget.  To each his own.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 05:56:20 AM »
I learned a long time ago that the market drives the price.  Something is worth what people are willing to pay.  $3,000.00 for any NH750 seems way off the mark to me, but again, the market will tell.

(Disclaimer:  I'm not going to make many friends with the following paragraph.  Go ahead and flame away if you must.  This is just my opinion and not intended to be a personal insult to anyone.)

In my opinion, the NH was a much better motorcycle 20 years ago than it is today.  The improvements made in the motorcycle industry since then, many of them coming from Honda, have dated the NH to the point of nostalgia, in my opinion.  This would apply to any market within the motorcycle industry, but the return of the standard (or at least the standard riding position) in the new lines over the past 5-7 years makes this even more applicable today.  Fuel Injection, computer controls, ABS, hydraulic brake improvements, suspension dampening and valving technology, using the engine as a stressed member of the frame, ergonomical improvements and adjustability, wind and heat management, lighting, etc. etc.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, I could go on ad nauseum.  Honestly, any Japanese five year old 500-600 cc standard, worth around $3,000.00, is a WORLD better motorcycle than any nighthawk ever made.  If you'd ride one with an open mind, you would agree.

Now, a cream puff NH750 with 20,000 miles on it at $1,500.00?  Can't go wrong.  Especially if this is your first bike that you are going to drop anyway or you are looking for something that you can stretch in any direction to see what kind of bike (or market) you really want to get into.  You cam make a NH a sport tourer, a grocery getter/commuter, a weekend day tripper, or even a rudimentary dual sport pretty easily.

To the OP, in my opinion, you did very well to pass on that bike.  Sight unseen, it's only worth half of what he's asking.

Just my $0.02 worth.
I totally agree
If one really is willing to spend 3k on NH might as well add 2k more and buy CB1100  fuel injection classic looks and better in every way.
I'll confess my fear of riding  92NH is being stranded long way from home because of simply old parts.Its fine around town but hesitate going over 100miles from home.
I need a new bike for peace of mine on long distances.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 08:00:24 AM »
  Regardless, I've ridden dozens of modern motorcycles and I'm just saying - the NH was good, but no where close to as good as it gets.
I guess it depends on what you like, Pants. 
For me, my 'Hawk has been ultra dependable, amazingly economical on both fuel and insurance and comfortable to ride.
It has plenty of power for me and easily leaves most vehicles on the road with 4 wheels, and some with 2, behind.
I have no desire to keep up with the squids, and for me a 140+ mph top end, a benefit of taller front gear, is more than fast enough.
Since switching to super, I can cruise at 75-80 all day with better than 50 mpg, and better than that at sedate speeds.
With the radials and suspension I'm running, I've got no problems in the twisties or doing a high speed interstate slalom course on roads with as many potholes as pavement.
Other than new tires for its wheels, it never needs to see a dealership - just the wheels - and I don't need to change my rubber out 4 times a year because it's easy on them too.
If I wanted a hyperbike, I'd buy one - I've owned them -  but I don't.
Most don't need bleeding edge performance in the real world, and for the kind of driving I do, the features you describe don't pass the cost-benefit analysis for me.  In any legal driving situation, you would not be able to run away from me, and while I could be outrun by your bike if you ignore the rules of the road, I could also wave while riding by as you are talking to one of the boys in blue. 

I never made an argument that the NightHawk was the best at anything, but it is very good at everything, so for me that's more than good enough.
While clearly that is not the case for you, it doesn't mean it's a mistake for me enjoying the bike I have.. and I do..

Hmmm.. 65 F sunny and light winds... I'm going for a ride..
 ridn2

DD

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »
I'll confess my fear of riding  92NH is being stranded long way from home because of simply old parts.Its fine around town but hesitate going over 100miles from home.
I need a new bike for peace of mine on long distances.

Has your bike ever stranded you?  Do you keep up with routine maintenance?  Your bike is eight years newer than mine and I frequently take it on multi-hundred mile rides.
Any bike you get is going to have the potential to drop you somewhere in need of repairs.  Most things that could go wrong with a Nighthawk -- short of total catastrophic failure -- should be recoverable on the roadside.
If your bike is in good order, your fears might be keeping you from really getting out and enjoying it.  Or maybe not.  A different bike might help you get there.
made of meat

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
I've said this many times before:  "It's a good deal if you think it's a good deal.  Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks."

I know a couple years ago, I was helping a friend find a Nighthawk.  Neither of us could find a running one for less than $1500 and the ones we did find weren't around long enough to even look at.  One guy sold his Nighthawk while he was on the phone with me and that was for $2500.  It was insane.  We finally found 650SC for $1500 and I'm pretty sure the only reason was because it was stolen.  But that's another story.

If you restrict yourself to one particular bike or criteria, you can expect to pay more or wait longer.  Sometimes you get lucky.  Waiting longer means time you're not riding.  There is value in that.  It's the same reason why amusement parks can charge extra for a Fast Pass ticket vs regular admission.   Time is money and vice versa.

I will agree with pants about the features of newer bikes, but they are features to me and not everyone.  The FJR is a pain in the ass to work on.  I don't work on my bike much so simpler maintenance is a non-issue for me, but others like a simpler machine because it is simpler to understand and work on.  Or they look at those features and see additional things that need to be maintained and/or replaced at a greater cost.  Take throttle or drive by wire for example.  There's no cable so it should last longer, but if it does fail, it's a $1000 bill rather than a $50 cable.

As for the fear of being stranded, a newer bike may help with that fear so alleviating that with a newer bike is worth something.  But you could be stranded no matter what vehicle you're driving for a million different reasons.  I agree with mollusc on this one.  Don't hold back until it gives you a reason not to.  Being stranded makes you have one bad day no matter how far away from home you are.  Fear of being stranded can make you miss a hundred great days.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
I have to laugh...
One thing about the 'Hawks that is nearly universally accepted, is that they are one of the most dependable bikes EVER MADE.
Does that mean they tolerate outright abuse? 
No. 
That's one reason why I was willing to pay a premium for a scoot that was well cared for.
Paying extra for that care was worth it to me. 
The compression on my 21 year old is new factory spec as of my last recent test.
Now, nearly 12 years after purchase, I've still never been stranded or even had a problem, and I'm 100 miles away from anywhere.
I can't say that about several new cars I've owned over the years... 
New doesn't mean no problems, actually, it can be just the opposite, because the new machine is relatively untested.
I do perform maintenance, and take good care of my machine, but in the case of the Hawk I can do a lot more riding with a lot less maintenance.

DD

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
I agree with everything DD said, except for the temperature - it's 28 degrees here, and I'm NOT riding today.  :'(

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved