Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hurricane Mountain Road or an Ode to Design Flaw  (Read 297 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Hurricane Mountain Road or an Ode to Design Flaw
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:44:21 AM »

Last year a few Design Flaw, Naske and a few others came out to New England for a very small rally.  We had great weather except on the last day so we never got to ride Hurricane Mountain Road... Tim had specifically mentioned this route to me and it stuck in my head.  So this year I took a Saturday and rode up through the White Mountains in New Hampshire and visited some old haunts on my new bike and at the end of the day found Hurricane Mountain Road and got to see what all the fuss was about.

I've have gone past this shop countless times and today decided to stop.  It's full of odd and old items, I suppose some may be considered antiques but others are just flat out strange like an old-timey slot machine with The Force Awakens graphics on the header and wheels.  If you're in the area (it's on the east end of the Kancamagus Highway) stop in just for the weirdness.

Close up of the Swift River.  The water has finally come down a bit, it was very fast and deep this spring and early summer.

At the top of the Kancamagus Highway.  As mountain highways go it isn't very high, just under 3,000 feet of elevation.  Still some amazing views.

A good number of riders out today.  I saw a large Harley rally and there were decent sized groups of them prowling around.

I've been up in this area a lot and have some favorite places to stop and eat.  Tried something new this time, Nachos Cafe in Lincoln.  The salsa was awful, tasted like stewed tomatoes.  Saw a few folks adding hot sauce to the salsa  My tacos on the other hand were excellent, they were so good I ate them before I thought to take a photo.

Once again I stopped by the Basin.  It's a natural shaped bowl formation made by rushing water.  It's a neat area along the Fraconia Notch Parkway with easy parking and a brief pleasant walk through the forest.

The Cog Railway.  These old trains are set up alongside the road as advertising for the still functioning train that travels up to the top of Mount Washington.

Here we are at the beginning of the descent at Crawford Notch.  Some some sharp twists and turns before it turns into sweepers as you make your way down the slope.

Shrooms.

The scenic view overlooking Crawford Notch.

The Versys alongside a Saco Lake.

Here it is, the beginning of Hurricane Mountain Road.  Just north of North Conway you can find the entrance.  If you look at a map you won't be too impressed or intimidated.  A few twists and turns is all it looks like.  The experience is quite different, large vehicles and trucks are warned not to use the road and it is barred for passage in winter.  The road itself is quite narrow, maybe a standard lane and a little more wide.  It's twistier than the map suggests and it's steep in places with a lot of undulating whoop-de-doos as you ascend from the west.  The quality of the road itself is good to fair.  Not really any potholes but lots of ripples and cracks and off camber in places.  The ripples can really mess up your tracking through a turn so you have to stay alert.

I traveled the east to west route.  As I stated the road is very narrow and there is no shoulder for the most part.  At the very peak there is a gravel driveway and parking lot for hikers.  At one neat spot you pass through a very small clearing and can see the state of Maine stretching out as far as the eye can see, it's an amazing view.  Sadly there was no place to pull over to get that photo, not that it would turn out too well with my camera.

A good example of the road.

The Versys parked along one of the few flat spots along Hurricane Mountain Road

It was a great day in the saddle and my first time riding the Versys all day.  Glad I got to give Hurricane Mountain Road a try, it's a neat stretch of road but kinda short.  Hope you enjoyed the ride!

Offline hppants

• View Profile
Re: Hurricane Mountain Road or an Ode to Design Flaw
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
I did enjoy the ride!!  Thanks for that.

Wifey and I were up there last September for leaf peeping.  Mass, Maine, NH, and Vermont - wonderful trip.  While in NH, we drove through all of that (except Hurricane Mountain road) - it was really nice.

In my neck of the woods, I know a few roads like H/M Rd, real low speed tight ribbons that usually parallel a bayou where you can get away from all crowds and just be intimately part of the geography.  I like those type of places a lot.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:47 PM »
Yeah, it was the plan to finish Sunday with that road, but the weather had other plans. Glad you got to enjoy it and thanks for sharing.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
  • Bike: CM400C CB250NH
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
That's an epic ride,  I took my CM400C up there last October and rode it twice and back. East to west is my favorite too. Afterward I stopped at the Subway at the west end, and had a conversation. With an old timer who used to ride it with his buddies on snowmobiles when they we're young and invincible.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
That's an epic ride.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks alan, I love it up there.  East to west and then north up Franconia Notch Parkway and loop around to Crawford Notch. Great views and great roads.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
My favorite route is riding rt16 all the way up to Errol, NH,  then take a right on rt26 to Newry, Maine then take rt2 back to Gotham, NH and home again on 16 south.
Its a great loop and I highly recommend it.

Although i'm planning to take my heavily modified 250 up NH153 as often as possible. If you're not familiar with it have a look here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Route_153  I've driven it in my work van and ridden some of it on my CM400C, but I think it may be better suited for a lighter and better handling bike.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »
My favorite route is riding rt16 all the way up to Errol, NH,  then take a right on rt26 to Newry, Maine then take rt2 back to Gotham, NH and home again on 16 south.
Its a great loop and I highly recommend it. [size=78%] [/size]

I'll give that route a try, probably next season.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
Sorry,  its Gorham, NH and not Gotham.
Spell check at it again.

You'll enjoy it,  for the most part it's above 50mph, very curvy but not quite twisty, with enough scenery to keep you coming back.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved