Username: Password:

Author Topic: First time rider!  (Read 599 times)

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 cb750
First time rider!
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm a first time rider.  Just went through a safety class and bought my first motorcycle!  1991 cb750 nighthawk.  I've been riding it for about a week now.  So far I love it.  My mechanic buddy loves it too. Meaning I won't have to see him for any problems with this motor.  I have a little bit of work to do getting some body panels on.  Ordered some and am waiting for their arrival.  The mufflers were cut down.  It sounds pretty good so I'm thinking for now I'm going to leave them as is.  Just finished putting on some new signal lights in front and in back. New(used) headlight came today and I have that on now. 
I'm excited to be on two wheels finally.  A long time coming but here I am........Rollin'!! 

How do I post pictures?  The image button is just adding [img][img] to the post and I can't copy and paste any photos. 

Cheers,
McG
McG99

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
Re: First time rider!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
I'm excited to be on two wheels finally.  A long time coming but here I am........Rollin'!!

Welcome to both the forum and the world of motorcycling.  wlcm1

How do I post pictures?  The image button is just adding [img][img] to the post and I can't copy and paste any photos.

That's BBC (bulletin board code). You insert the URL of an image between the ] and the [ so your image must be uploaded to a hosting website, such as Flickr.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and to riding and owning a Nighthawk! You chose one of the best bikes possible, very little maintenance, plenty of parts availability, handles well and enough power to get the job done with ease, yet not overdo it.
I use Flickr as well, let me know if you get stuck (PM me)
Measure twice, cut once

Offline sgarnett

• View Profile
  • Bike: 91 NH 750
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:32:03 AM »
Hi, I'm less than two months ahead of you on the same path. I took the class in June, and found my 91 750 in July. The biggest problem was just getting the clutch working again after sitting for two years. Several hours and a lot of sweat later, I was making the long drive home much later than I had planned.

I've been impressed by how stable and forgiving the Nighthawk is.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
Wow - First time rider and you managed to select the best motorcycle ever made!
Good job.
I've had my 96 for 11 years and it's never left me stranded.
You also found a great forum - There are some very knowledgeable and helpful folks on here.

Enjoy the ride!
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline smp

• View Profile
  • Bike: '93 CB750
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »
How do I post pictures?  The image button is just adding

The link/URL goes between the two img tags. The forum also has a help section and this is the thread about posting images:
http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php?topic=323.0

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »
Finally on flikr.

McG99

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »
[img]https://flic.kr/p/C7S5EW[/

Another attempt to insert a photo.  Hmmm?
McG99

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »
This time???

McG99

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »
In Flickr, click on any of your pictures so that's all you're looking at.  Lower right corner of the screen there is a series of icons.  The middle one is an arrow curling to the right; if you hover your mouse over it a hint will pop up saying "Share Photo."  Click that.  A window opens on top of the picture.  The first time you do this it will be under the tab "Share" and will have icons for Facebook, Twitter, etc.  Ignore that and click on the "BBCode" heading instead.  I normally set the lower box to the Medium setting that has one of the dimensions as 800.
Assuming you're using a PC, make sure the line with the link in it is highlighted.  Press and hold CTRL, then press C.  Let go of both.  Change to the window for this forum and after clicking in the white box where you normally type, press and hold CTRL, then press V.  The share code should appear.
made of meat

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 08:46:02 PM »
Haven't tried the pc.  Using IPhone. Clicking the curved arrow and it shows copy URL link. Obviously that isn't working. 
McG99

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »
You can copy the image URL and then paste it between the tags that appear when you click on the "Insert Image" button above the reply window. It's the button with the yellow middle, just left of the button with the world and a page on it.

Click on that button when the cursor is where you want the pic to appear in your reply, and the image tags will appear with the cursor already blinking between them; just 'paste' the link, and use Preview to check the results before you post.

As mentioned above, make sure your URL is a direct link to the image itself. You can do that on a computer by right-clicking an image on a page and selecting "open image in new tab" to prune away the chaff. I'm not sure about an I-phone.

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 12:21:00 AM »
does it work from the pc????

[imghttp://Untitled by Matthew Gandy, on Flickr][/img]

OH my word it works!!!!!

Here's my bike just before I got it wired up on the rear end(tail light and signals) and rode it home from my buddies!.
McG99

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
Here it is with the rear end put together and ready to ride.  I'll be getting the rear cowl and the side panels on this winter. Waiting on a few nuts and bolts for the parts I bought on eBay.
[/url]IMG_8730 by Matthew Gandy, on Flickr[/img]

I will possibly be trying to get the panels and tank painted this winter as well. 

Again it looks like I'm doing what I need to to upload from flikr but the photo isn't coming up in preview?  So I'll post and see if that works.
McG99

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »
You need to change the letters in the opening tag from "/url" to "img".

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
this is annoying.  The only image that worked was the first one up there.  I paste the BBC or whatever copied link between the prompts from the forum image but no images seem to work since that first one.  Why does it have to be so difficult?  Copy, paste.  Seems overly complicated if I have to edit some of the code just to get a photo posted. 
McG99

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 05:56:42 AM »
You don't have to change anything in what you copy.  Even that first pic doesn't seem to have had its code directly pasted from the Flickr window.  Don't use the "insert image" button at all.
made of meat

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
IMG_8730 by Matthew Gandy, on Flickr

wow, just copy and paste?  sheesh so easy.  That'll make life easier to share!

Thanks Mollusc
McG99

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »
That chain looks pretty loose!
made of meat

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »
I'll look into adjusting it.  Thanks
What kind of tension do you recommend?
McG99

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 08:07:12 PM »
The customary method is to pull the rear axle back (evenly of course) until there's about 3/4" up-and-down slack mid-way between sprockets with the bike on the side-stand. Not precise.

I prefer the method of compressing the suspension with a ratcheting strap looped over the frame (seat removed), around the swing-arm on both sides, and looped back over the frame.

Then ratchet the strap until the axle, swing-arm pivot, and rear sprocket are in a straight line, and adjust the chain for about 1/4" of up=and-down slack movement. Minimum slack that way.

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 04:28:45 AM »
My Nighthawk is shaft drive, so I adjust to what the manual recommends...
made of meat

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
I wonder if anyone has ever figured out a way to install a solo seat and make it look like it originally came that way.

Offline Aprilfool

• View Profile
  • Bike: 92 NH 750
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:37 AM »
1" slack in midpoint. But be sure to check, then rotate the tire some, check, rotate, etc.  When the chain stretches, it doesn't stretch evenly. So you can have it correct on one part and too loose or too tight elsewhere. Time to replace when it gets uneven like that. Don't ask me how I know...

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
Don't ask me how I know...

Darn! I was just about to ask how you know.  :naughty:

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved