Username: Password:

Author Topic: More Fun with Fuel....  (Read 1011 times)

Offline sgarnett

• View Profile
  • Bike: 91 NH 750
Re: More Fun with Fuel....
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »
I think you've hit the nail on the head, DD!  :gavel:

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
I would think that the higher octane rating (slower rate of burn) would lead to more exhaust popping, rather than less.  With a slower rate of burn, all other things equal in the motor, one would think that the possibility of some unburnt air/fuel getting past the open exhaust valve on the exhaust stroke, where it would be ignited with the hot exhaust.

Read my comment again; I did say that I observed less popping when using the lower octane.

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 02:36:51 PM »
I did find it interesting that Larry Fine has the same year bike (96), was using super and went to regular and discovered he's been wasting money because his bike runs as well or better on regular.

I expect, at some point, to revert to the premium again to see if there is a discernible difference when going in that direction.
While octane is measured, there can be a huge difference in nearly every other aspect of a given fuel's ingredients.

That's why I changed octane but stayed with the same brand.
In my case, I am convinced that it has a lot to do with ethanol, or that the super I'm using doesn't contain it, where the regular did...

Here, at least, all grades contain the same 10% ethanol content.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
I think you've hit the nail on the head, DD!  :gavel:
Thank You Mr. sg... 
Sometimes it doesn't hurt to state the obvious...
Unless you ARE the nail...
claugh1
For Mr. Fine... "I expect, at some point, to revert to the premium again to see if there is a discernible difference when going in that direction.."
I will do the same and revert back to regular and see if I notice a difference going that way.
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »
Unless you ARE the nail...

"I'd rather be a hammer than a nail . . . " ~ Simon and Garfunkel

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 05:26:49 AM »
Whenever I get a "new" vehicle (way too often when it comes to bikes), I try out all the fuels.  I try to run 4-5 tanks of each, and see how it runs and if there's any difference in mpg.  Then I go with what works best.  My Mazda gained .5 mpg with mid, nothing with super, so I went back to regular.  My old Dakota OTH, much preferred mid.  About a 1.5 mpg gain, and it ran much smoother.  The wife's Edge doesn't seem to care, and so far I've only run a single tank through the Ram.

My 96 NH (bless her) ran on pretty much anything from super to the unknown brand at gas stations in tiny towns on country back roads.  Never a complaint.  The ST13, runs on premium, 91 or better.  The Voyager seems to like ATV gas - sold around here at one place - the kind with no ethanol.  But she'll run on anything as well.  As soon as the ST is back on her...wheels, the search begins for a replacement.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
Once again I got a nice surprise on filling up with super yesterday - My last tank netted 53 mpg...
Amazing to me, as was I expected a significant drop because I was stuck in a huge semi-truck traffic jam on the interstate.
At this point, after 5 tanks, an error related to fill differences is very unlikely, not that I thought it was a contributing factor in the first place...

Since my switch to super I have yet to get less than 50 mpg, when previously 45 was the best I did (nothing to sneeze at either IMHO).
The bike continues to run great, so I'm a happy camper...

If it hadn't been for Rubo, and his "Placebo or Real? 87 or 92 octane" thread, I probably would have never tried super gas.

So, Rubo - Thanks for the "hot tip" - For me the fuel change has been great. 
My scooter is running better than ever and the modest increase in fuel cost is actually saving me money in increased mileage.

BTW - It turns out I have been using Mobil Synergy premium all along - It took the station awhile to post their stickers on the pumps....

DD

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
DD - that is great.  If I got your results, I'd run Unicorn Gravy through my bike.  When I had a '96 750, I would usually get 45-47 mpg, on RARE occasion, 49-50 (55 mph stroll through the back country).

Where are you located?  If high altitude, was your bike re-jetted for that?

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 04:42:39 PM »
DD - that is great.  If I got your results, I'd run Unicorn Gravy through my bike.  When I had a '96 750, I would usually get 45-47 mpg, on RARE occasion, 49-50 (55 mph stroll through the back country).
Where are you located?  If high altitude, was your bike re-jetted for that?
Unicorn Gravy retailers must be regional...
 yaaaah3
I'm not far from the Grand Canyon ~ a mile up.  Was never rejetted by me - prior owner was in Phoenix, AZ.
Based on my last look at my plugs, the bike was happy with the jetting it had (a nice even realtor approved light brown ;)
I'll check them again before too long to see what difference the super is making, but based on the mpg performance, it can't be too far to the rich side, or my mpgs would be worse, rather than better...

As to why it's running so well.... I can't explain it either.

DD

Offline viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
Filled up with 93 yesterday. Seemed to be less cold blooded this am, which is my only issue as she runs good otherwise. We will see.....
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
Interestingly, since switching from the Amoco premium to Amoco regular, my bike seems to warm enough to take off without the enrichener sooner; maybe it's just the warm weather. It still accelerates and runs as well as ever, so I can't say I've noticed any detriment due to the change, nor any reason to go back to the premium as of yet.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
Weather is definitely a factor, especially temperature on a "cold blooded" engine.
It's difficult to ascribe mileage to a fuel when riding conditions can be very different from one tank to another..
Big difference between rolling along at 35 vs. stop and go in heavy traffic, or riding in the flat vs steep hill canyon carving.
Speed is also a big factor as more fuel is required to overcome wind resistance, and strong head winds will also make a difference in mileage reduction.

Keeping all of the above in mind, and with 11 years of mpg calculations performed on every fill up, I'm still noticing an improvement by using super.
My rides to town went from an average of 45 to over 50, but this was when driven at the low end of the tach. - 25 mph dirt roads and 35 mph paved.
In all my years of riding, I'd never got 50 mpg out of a tank.

My last fill included a lot of traffic thanks to a major freeway overhaul, with high winds and trucks being passed @ 80 mph+along the way.
(High wind + truck wake @ 75 = Buffet City)
 fans1
Historically, using regular, these conditions would net ~ 40 ~ 42 mpg, vs the 47 I got..

The super I used was Mobil Synergy Premium, and it's the only super I've tried.
I am considering going back to regular for comparison, but my bike is running so well now, I'm not sure I want to.

DD

Offline MrF

• View Profile
  • Bike: '16 V-Strom 650
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
Still keeping track of you guys in this ongoing experiment.  Keep in mind that mid-September is usually when the winter gas blend starts rolling out depending on your location, so you may see a small decrease in MPG from that.
1997 Nighthawk 750 (Sold) |  2016 V-Strom 650

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
I've been through several (ten-ish) tanks of regular now, mostly but not exclusively Amoco, and I must say that the performance still seems to be unchanged. If anything, the plugs seem to ignite the gas just a little bit better on Amoco regular than off-brand regular. It may well be the brand's additive package matters more than the octane, as long as the octane is great enough.

Offline viffer

• View Profile
  • Bike: '91 Nighthawk
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »
Other than that one better cold start (fluke I guess) no difference. Gonna fill up again with 93 but likely back to 87 after this ....
'91 Nighthawk
'00 VFR Interceptor

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 10:23:32 AM »
Other than that one better cold start (fluke I guess) no difference. Gonna fill up again with 93 but likely back to 87 after this ....
If I were you, I would do that too.
Save some money. 
As for me, I am going to keep on using super until I see a performance drop (mpg).
Although on a "clean out the carbon run" yesterday, Amber was running like a Superbike...
It MUST be the Unicorn gravy...
yaaaah3

DD

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved