Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Bike Hauler  (Read 745 times)

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
New Bike Hauler
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »
My cage for the last 4 years has been a 2007 Nissan Xterra, an SUV I chose because it had enough towing capacity (5000 lbs) for our boat.

I bought the Nissan used and, right from the get-go, it started to have fairly significant mechanical issues. After replacing the clutch twice, brake issues, valve issues and more, I was about done with it. Then the 'Service Engine Soon' light came on and my mechanic advised that it needed a new catalytic converter. At about $1000, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I started looking for a replacement for the Xterrible.

Long story short, my wife found a sweet deal on a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado LT at the dealer where we bought her Buick. I reached out and, within a few days, we came to a deal:

I've talked for years about getting a truck, but the practical side of my brain always took over and I ended up with SUVs. But now I'm officially a truck-boy, so we'll see how it goes. I'm digging it so far.
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: New Bike Hauler
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:34:23 AM »
Very nice, you'll love it. Friends will appear out of nowhere asking if you can help them move stuff. I had 2 new GM trucks, a '93 GMC SLE 4x4 and a '99 GMC SLT 4x4 and both were excellent trucks with almost zero maintenance.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha FJR
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »
I'll always have a truck because it doesn't make sense to have two vehicles with the same purpose.  Especially with a crew cab truck.  For the most part, I've loved my Sierra.  No vehicle is without its flaws, but mine has done pretty well.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »
I'll always have a truck because it doesn't make sense to have two vehicles with the same purpose.  Especially with a crew cab truck.  For the most part, I've loved my Sierra.  No vehicle is without its flaws, but mine has done pretty well.

This was always one of my arguments for having an SUV -- our other vehicle was usually a little econo-box...not the sort of car that was nice for a dress-up night on the town or longish drives. But now that my wife has her Buick, we have a vehicle with creature comforts, a bit of style and decent mileage (her Verano averages around 34 mpg). With that in the stable, there wasn't as much of a need to have an SUV too. And, like you said, getting a 4-door model -- mine is the 'double cab', rather than the slightly roomier 'crew cab') means I can transport 4 people in relative comfort; 6, if we're really good friends.

Here's a question I have related to truck ownership:  Another reason I used to convince myself I didn't need a truck was that I own a 4x8 trailer. If I need to haul anything, I have the means. With my Silverado's full-size bed, I believe I can fit my V-Strom in with room to spare. While I've always been one to ride to my MC destinations, NOT having to tow a trailer, and simply stowing the bike in the truck bed is a distinct possibility. Though I know there  can be issues with loading/unload a bike from a truck bed.

Complicating matters is the fact that one can rent a dedicated MC trailer from U-Haul for $15/day. I did that when I drove down to pick up my Strom and I have to say it worked like a dream, and I would always choose that option over using my own trailer (which is old, doesn't have a ramp on the back nor a front wheel chock).

So, for transporting the bike:  Truck or Trailer?

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »
So, for transporting the bike:  Truck or Trailer?

I vote trailer, because it can be towed by more than one vehicle.

I made simple chocks for my trailer with 18"-long pieces of 2x3's on edge, flanking each tire, plus one piece across the top-fronts of the front-wheel pieces, all held in place with lag bolts with washers inserted through the 3/4" floor, the front ones long enough to pass through the front parallel ones and engage the front cross pieces.

Note: always drill pilot holes to avoid splitting the wood, which weakens the connection. 

I made three bike positions, with the center position all the way forward, and the side positions rearward to avoid handlebar interference, although it would be difficult to carry three fully-faired or dressed bikes simultaneously. There are four eye-bolts for each bike position  for two tie-downs up front, one across the rear.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »
Trailering is just easier.   Easier to load, easier to tie down, and a lower risk of something happening during loading/unloading. 

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:09 AM »
Nice looking truck.  I liked the newer Silverado/Sierra, but couldn't afford one.  Just yesterday I picked up an 09 Ram 1500.  In Yellow of course.

I've had a number of people tell me I could have bought a mini van or SUV/CUV and just use a trailer.  I suppose I could, we have a Ford Edge, and it's good for around 3500lbs towing, but there's something about owning/driving a truck...

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
Just yesterday I picked up an 09 Ram 1500.  In Yellow of course.

A wise choice.... 
haphap
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
Baja - congrats on your new vehicle.  It's a fine truck, and I'm lusting after that exact model (double cab v/s crew) because the bed is slightly longer and the truck is slightly less expensive.  However, I suppose my current 15 year old Silverado may never crap out on me.  There's something about an old chevy truck.  They just don't quit.  I hope you have good luck and enjoyment with yours.

I would suggest you move quickly toward getting the sprayed on bed liner (professionally done, not DIY).  That would be a great enhancement to your new vehicle.

As for the bike, I'm from the "truck" side of the debate.  Towing a trailer (especially long distances) is a PITA.  Since trailers aren't used often, the tires are always questionable.  Your fuel mileage is lower, and you should tow at a much slower speed than without the trailer.  Just about anywhere, you can back into a swale or similar and greatly reduce the load/unload angle for the bike.  Regardless, just make sure you tie the bike down with no less than 4 good racheting straps.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »

I've talked for years about getting a truck...

Me too, but don't really have the room these days. Now I don't need to buy one--I can just call you whenever I need something moved. Which reminds me...I have some brush that I need to dispose of...[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:32 PM »
Which reminds me...I have some brush that I need to dispose of

Not until I get the spray on liner pants recommended. Running boards are also on the hot list...thought it's fun watching 5'2" SOQS crawl up into the cab.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 05:25:05 AM »

Not until I get the spray on liner pants recommended. Running boards are also on the hot list...thought it's fun watching 5'2" SOQS crawl up into the cab.

I know how that goes, I'm looking at the power running boards as they drop down farther and out more.  When I had my last Ram, the running boards were nice, but were too high to be really useful.

Offline DesignFlaw06

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 05:51:55 AM »
I'd suggest a tonneau cover as well.  I have one of the hard folding kind and I like it a lot.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 08:45:16 PM »

Which reminds me...I have some brush that I need to dispose of

...thought it's fun watching 5'2" SOQS crawl up into the cab.

Two words: rope ladder

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »

I'm looking at the power running boards as they drop down farther and out more.

I understand that those can be problematic, as they have a tendency to malfunction and get stuck up or down. My friend struggled for some time with the ones on his Navigator before he was able to get them working. In his case, it was jammed by road grime.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 04:36:22 AM »

I'm looking at the power running boards as they drop down farther and out more.

I understand that those can be problematic, as they have a tendency to malfunction and get stuck up or down. My friend struggled for some time with the ones on his Navigator before he was able to get them working. In his case, it was jammed by road grime.

That's always a possibility with anything mechanical like that, but it's one of the tings to keep the wife happy.  She has knee and back issues. She loves riding on the truck, but getting in and out... The running boards on my previous Ram were ok at best, but that was years ago.  So, I'll give them a try and see.

If I had a place to put the pics, I'd post a couple. 

Offline jspringator

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, XT225
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 06:33:32 AM »
Congrats on the new truck!

My youngest just turned 16.  Luckily she is in a STEM academy for her last 2 years of high school where they don't allow a car except to drive home once a month.  I have a Lexus hardtop convertible as my DD, but also have a Ford Excursion V-10 for motorcycle travel, tailgating and other hauling chores.  Since I sold my boat and travel trailer I don't need a"heavy hauler" any more.  I picked up this Lexus RX330 for $5,600.  She can drive it when she is in town and during summers.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

It tows 3,500 lbs and has enough room for me to sleep in the back.  That s all I really need.  I'm used to trailering, so I chose the ability to sleep in the back over having a truck bed.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
It tows 3,500 lbs and has enough room for me to sleep in the back.  That s all I really need.  I'm used to trailering, so I chose the ability to sleep in the back over having a truck bed.

You know, that's a valid point. Over my many years of SUV ownership, I often did that as a more convenient option than pitching a tent.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »
Got the power running boards installed last week.  After some research, I went with the AMP Research.  Apparently they invented the things, and license it to Ford, Lincoln, etc.  Can't say enough about them so far.  Took a small trip out to Augusta, and the wife had no issues getting in and out.  They drop down to a nice mid point between ground and truck.  She says it's easier to climb than the stairs to the house.  Obviously I can't speak to longevity, but AMP has a good warranty, and seems to be responsive to issues.  Hopefully I won't need to find out.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved