Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tryin' to help a bruthuh out  (Read 221 times)

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
Tryin' to help a bruthuh out
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »
Driving into work today, I came across a motorcyclist stranded on the roadside. I've had people help me when I've been the stranded one so, with some available time before I had to be at work, I decided to pay it forward and extend a helping hand.

The rider explained his front tire went flat and he was looking for a ride to a nearby gas station, where he'd already confirmed they had some Fix-A-Flat in stock.

I gave him a lift, waited for him to buy the FAF, and then drove him back to the bike. Unfortunately, after emptying the contents of the can into the tire, it was still quite flat.

I offered to give him a lift somewhere else so he could arrange to get the bike picked up, or help him move it to a nearby parking lot if he wanted to stay with it (though I didn't think he had to be too worried about someone stealing his '83 Yamaha LTD).

But he told me he decided that he could "baby it" and ride it back to the gas station, where he would try airing it up enough to get home.

Ummm...okaaaay...  whaaaat3

I advised him that I wouldn't recommend trying to ride the bike with a flat front tire, even on the shoulder at slow speed. At best, he was likely to destroy the tire. But he was resolute and, with a shrug of my shoulders, I left him to fend for himself.

Some people I just don't get.

Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline alan f

• View Profile
  • Bike: CM400C CB250NH
Re: Tryin' to help a bruthuh out
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
I'm usually on the road for work so I don't mind taking a minute to stop for a rider in need. Out of four or five stops I might find one that's actually in need. Last year I gave a guy a ride 2 miles home after his... yamaha twin cafe racer... 650 exciter maybe? wasn't charging and had drained the battery, he had a spare battery there so i dropped him back at his bike and stayed until the bike was started.

Riders that know and understand why and how their bike broke down are much easier to help.
Emotional noobs with empty pockets and fragile temperaments aren't.

Offline Commundert

• View Profile
  • Bike: sadas
Re: Tryin' to help a bruthuh out
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:33 PM »
bike picked up, or help him move it to a nearby parking lot if he wanted to stay with it (though I didn't t

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved