Username: Password:

Author Topic: First start after 15 years  (Read 517 times)

Offline ruezi

• View Profile
  • Bike: 750 NH - 1991
First start after 15 years
« on: September 28, 2017, 01:44:42 AM »
My Snow White woke up after a 15 years sleep   yaaaah3

Over 280.000 crazy Miles on my bikes

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: First start after 15 years
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:25:40 AM »
Incredible! It sounds like it was running yesterday.  :claps: ridn2

Offline hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:07:54 AM »
Honda really did that one right.  They are so reliable, you almost feel guilty for not paying more attention to them.

I loved everyday I owned my CB750. 

Well done.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:50:13 PM »
My Snow White woke up after a 15 years sleep
Wow - Awesome !
Two thoughts -
One - Open the garage door the next time you start the bike !!!!
Two - Regardless of how your tires look, replace them before you drive it, because they only look like tires.

Good luck on your continued restoration!
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline ruezi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:54:00 AM »
 haphap thank you for your worry about my health, but as you can see the garage was a bit open and I like the smell of my bikes - my wife does not  ddg1
you´re right concerning the tires - they are hard as stones. I will replace them, bevor I go for a ride. The brakes are all right. I had to clean the front break massivly, as it total stucked. All other things as light (I had to replace the blinkers. as the rubber was brittle) or clutch work very well. The steering bearings have to be replaced too, as well as the chain.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »
Ruezi,
Glad your door was open (a bit)
haphap
I have a friend who nearly killed himself in his closed garage because he was ONLY going to run the engine "for a minute".
When he realized he had a problem, he could no longer move because of the CO - Fortunately for him, his wife opened the door and called him an idiot!
He never told her what was actually about to happen to him.

Since you're doing some upgrades to get "Snow White" (BUT.. the Bike IS Black???) back on the road, you might want to consider:
  • A stainless steel brake line - Not too expensive and it will DRAMATICALLY improve your 'Hawk's braking performance 
  • Radial Tires - I've been using Avon Storm 3D X-Ms - Sport Bike performance on dry, stick like glue in wet conditions, and the tread will likely last longer than the tire is rated for
  • A horn that can actually wake up a sleeping dog - Having a good horn has literally saved my life on more than one occasion
  • Regearing - A new chain should mean new sprockets.. I went with a 17 front 38 rear - Higher top end, better mileage for highway driving
  • Case Savers - Worth twice their weight in savings when you drop your bike
  • Suspension Upgrade - You probably need new shocks and fork oil - I HIGHLY recommend Progressive - HUGE handling improvement
Regards
DD

DD

Offline ruezi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 04:36:48 AM »
Hi DD
I dont know what´s better... to be killed by the bike or by my wife....  bugeye1

A stainless steel brake line is surely a good invest... I will check this

This Avon tire you are talking,  is unfortunately not supported in our dimensions at our dealers. Beside this, wheels are always a huge discussion. 1 question, 100 different answers. But mabye I will mount a cross bar, so that a wheel with more profile would fit better like Michelin Anakee or Avon Trialrider. But thats future at all, as I am still working on the carburettor to get a better gas acceptance.

Interesting ist your transmission of 17, 38 - how many chain links would this be, or is it still original with 112 (the original is 15/40/112 - isn´t it?)

I didn´t see case savers here in Austria, but a good idea... mabye I must see in USA for it...

For the suspension in the front: I have first to remove the oil and the seals (even they are still in a good condition...). Now the fork is relativ hard. Which oil do you use? A 10W or a 5W?

There are only a few Information here in Austria about this bike, as it was only built for the US market (we´ve got the CB750 Seven fifty - same engine but other tank and fairings)

Greetings
Rüdiger

Online mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 05:38:33 AM »
Replacing the fluid in the forks is a relatively simple job, and you don't have to remove the seals to do it.  The oil is actually Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) which you should be able to obtain pretty readily.
Do you have a workshop manual for your bike?
made of meat

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 05:54:01 AM »
Interesting ist your transmission of 17, 38 - how many chain links would this be, or is it still original with 112 (the original is 15/40/112 - isn´t it?)

Stock sprockets are 15 and 38 teeth with a 110-link chain. Going to a 16- or 17-tooth front requires a 112-link chain, unless you're using a well-worn chain, which should not be used with new sprockets anyway.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
So, just about everything is available via mail order...
First order - Get a repair manual - Clymer makes a good one.

With tires, the Avon 3D-XM in 110/80 R18 is the stock size for the front.
I (and others) have had good luck with the 150/70 R17 for the rear.
They look good, have excellent traction in both wet and dry, and are designed to last (X-M = eXtended mileage)
Myself, I would never go back to bias plys after running radials.
It also depends on what you're going to do with the bike.  Are you riding in the dirt?

Larry was right - need the extra links if you want to go with the larger front sprocket.
Primarily the larger front (17 vs 15) gives you lower rpm for a given speed.
If you are going to ride in the city - stay stock. 
The advantage is really for high speed touring.
My 96 is getting a consistent 50 mpg at 75 mph.  You can convert that to metric.
I've done some other mods to improve aerodynamics which also help.

For the forks, Larry already addressed most of it. 
Your fork oil is probably 25 years old and should be replaced regardless.
You can do that without replacing the seals, and you don't have to replace the springs.
It depends on how far you want to go.
I replaced my springs and shocks for improved suspension performance. 
If you don't have or don't want to spend the money, don't upgrade.

DD

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »
I rebuilt my forks last year, using new slider bushings and seals. I used Honda fork oil (10 weight, I believe), setting the level 1/4 inch higher than spec for slightly stiffer compression. Also, I put on Hagon shocks/springs earlier this year.

Our ride on and around Back of the Dragon (http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,3355.0.html) showed that the NH750 is capable of good handling when ridden hard, and mine is even fully dressed:

(drag bar at bottom of pic to see entire bike)

Offline ruezi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 12:48:57 AM »
Thanks Larry for the info... I also like lower rpm, so I will take 17 in the front and a112 sproket chain
Your bike is really a full dresser, I like the stile, but as I also own a 1500 Goldwing, I have still got a full dresser  haphap

Desertdragon, of course I will replace the fork oil and I think I will change the seals too, it's only a few work more and I would be very angry if everting is done and the oil would get outside afer running 1000 miles
I thougt about crosswheels because mabye I"m going to build a scrambler, but I really don" t know yet. First of all is to get aperfect running motor and during winter I have enough time to work and think about it. Anyway I wont do cross rides with that bike. I ve got a Honda Transalp 600 for such rides

Annother question, are all main jets for the four carbs 112?

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved