Username: Password:

Author Topic: Saw this for sale yesterday.  (Read 361 times)

Offline deaconblues082

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 cb550sc
Saw this for sale yesterday.
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »

Looks like it needs some help, but it's not ridiculously trashed. What would be a good offer? $600-$700? 

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
Re: Saw this for sale yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
That looks like a stray throttle or choke cable, so it might have been sitting a while and need carb work.  If you can look inside the tank, check carefully for rust.
Also, poke your finger into the vanes of the alternator to see if you can turn them.  If you can spin it easily in both directions, then the alt/starter chain is broken or the starter clutch is messed up and the engine will have to be torn down to fix it.  And it's an '84 so you might run into problems with the crankshaft end seal leaking after you do that (but there is a workaround fix).
The other thing that can happen is broken shift forks.  Try rolling it around and changing gears.  Repairing those also requires removing the engine and opening it up.
The plastics look okay but the paint does not.  It has engine guards which are often a hot ticket item.

Since it's the end of the season, prices tend to be lower than at the start of spring.  I would go $250 if the chain or shift forks are broken, and maybe $700 if they're not.
made of meat

Offline deaconblues082

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
Thanks for the info cheers3 I took another look (it's only a few miles away) I didn't get to talk to the owner/seller, but I gave it a closer look. It goes into first and second ok. Couldn't access the alternator or at least whatever I was pushing on would not give at all. But that is the throttle cable. It looks like the linkage froze up in the carb rack which resulted in someone breaking the cable and housing. I have a set of carbs all rebuilt that are spares for my 550 NH, it looks like I could interchange the bulk of these parts. Or am I reading part numbers wrong? Also the oil/dipstick smells like gas, could be stuck floats? Or giant red flag?

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
If you decide to pull the trigger on it, I have a full set of refurbed 700S carbs; they only need a single jet replaced which you would probably be able to salvage from the set that's on it.
Fuel in the oil could easily be stuck floats or bad float valve seals.
The other issue that these can develop over time is that the petcock starts to leak to the outside world, around the perimeter of the selector knob.  It used to be a big problem to find replacement parts to repair them (that was "not a serviceable part" according to Honda) but there are a couple of reverse-engineered aftermarket solutions available.  The repair does involved drilling out the rivets that seal the petcock shut but it's not really a big deal.
Another way to check the alternator chain is to put the bike in second and try to roll it.  If you see the vanes of the alternator spin, things are probably okay.
made of meat

Offline RobbieAG

• View Profile
  • Bike: ST1100, ST1300
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
Have you confirmed it has a clean title? I would price it as a parts bike. If you can get it running, then you're ahead of the game. If not then all you've lost is a little time.
2002 CB750 (sold), 2001 ST1100, 2005 ST1300

Offline deaconblues082

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »
I did talk to the seller eventually. This guy wants $1600 for the bike. Aside from what you see in the pictures it also needs the gas tank redone, inside is all rusty. The intakes are dry rot as well as the rubbers to the airbox. There's even more wrong so I had to walk away. It's a shame really. It's just going to sit there and waste away.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
Well, nobody with half-a-brain is going to give the guy anywhere close to $1,600...
Once he figures that out, some time from now, (because everyone walks away) you might re-try a low ball offer...
Like another poster said, you would have to think of it as a parts bike for valuation purposes to avoid taking a major bath.
And even at that, some parts my not even be worth much -
Like: Is the rusted tank salvageable?
        Is the engine seized?
The guy being ridiculous on his price may have been a good thing on the other hand...
It could have major problems that cannot be repaired due to lack of parts, or so expensive that it's not worth it.

I agree it is a shame for it to waste away, but it could already be wasted...

Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved