Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1998 Nighthawk  (Read 2042 times)

Offline 1998Hawk

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 Nighthawk
1998 Nighthawk
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z8vjv5tb3qbwacv/AADzAAJQ-s7xIlptx3XpuT3ea

I hope that the photos work, I could not get them to show up other than posting a link.

2010 Father's Day gift. It is a 1998, it came with nothing except the tank bag. It had 8800 miles on it and the previous owner removed the baffles out of the exhaust, and while at idle did not sound that bad. However at highway speeds it was the most annoying sound ever. Finally at 14,000 miles I broke down and had to do something. Instead of replacing the whole exhaust system or cutting it up to fit new mufflers, I chose to buy 700SC pipes from a scrap yard and remove the baffles from them and place them in my mufflers. The bike is now quiet and actually has a better deeper sound than the Exhaust mod. I have Givi bags all around, and will soon put engine guards on the bike so that I can move my highway pegs.

Offline usbigred

• View Profile
  • Bike: 82 NH450
Re: 1998 Nighthawk
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »
That's a really nice looking bike.  What brand and model windshield do you have on it?

Offline 1998Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
Street Shield or Street Shield EX by National Cycle.

Offline luckyduc

• View Profile
  • Bike: 750 nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
Nice! are those Givi racks you have the hard bags mounted to? Strange....i emailed Givi about hard bags for my '92 750 NH. They responded that they have notthing that would work on it????

If it's not Givi racks, what are they?

Thank you!

Offline 1998Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 10:43:10 PM »
Yes they are givi e60 bags with a admore lighting kit.  You need two pieces of equipment you need a wingrack (n140) and a mounting brackets for the wing rack. I got lucky after a year long search for the mounting brackets I posted a want ad and someone had one, minus two small pieces. I drove a hundred miles to get the parts and have had my bags mounted ever since.  I added some pictures of the rack. There was a member that had a auto cad design for a new mounting bracket but that was a few years ago.  I have not been able to find the old forum page.

Offline 1998Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »
The side bags are Givi e360n and the top bag is Givi e460n.

Offline luckyduc

• View Profile
  • Bike: 750 nighthawk
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 10:01:45 AM »
Thank you for the info....looks great!

Offline rr91

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 NH750
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »
That's a great-looking bike, and a sweet luggage setup.   nice1  I was able to eventually track down the unobtanium Y146 fit kit after a long search but haven't installed the wingrack2 yet b/c I've been debating what size cases to go with.  Any particular thoughts on pros/cons of your setup?  Being able to install the aux lighting seems like a huge plus...I don't think the smaller cases give you that option.

Offline 1998Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
Pros: cases are light and easy to manage, have not had water get in them yet, the added lights in the side bags rock (blinkers and stop light), lights are easy to install and quickly connect and disconnect. I carried 15 days of clothes and travel items without any problems. Top bag is adjustable forwards and backwards for passenger comfort. Side bags allow for a duffle bad to be laid across for longer trips.

Con: It was very pricy system. Each bag was 260 or more, wing rack was 200, top case e460n will fit two medium helmets, but I have a big head and my helmet will barely fit (HJC Bluetooth XXL) so I have to make room in my top case for my helmet and room in the side case for another helmet. You ensure that you balance your load. Buy or install a back pad for the top case, it's a nice thing to do for passengers on long rides.

The wiring connectors are not robust for the Admore lighting kits the quick dis/connectors need to be changed for a better more robust system if you are planning to remove them more than twice a trip, that or be very careful.

Safety notice: with the added weight I have a front end wobble if I release the handlebars. I have changed front and back tire and adjusted the suspension all with no effect the bike is completely drivable and handles fine with one hand, but I have never been able to get rid of the wobble. 6000 miles no problems so far.

That's about it that I can think of for now.

Offline rr91

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 NH750
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
Thanks for the additional info!

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved