Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 764 times)

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
New to forum
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »
Howdy folks. New here and haven't been on a bike in years. Still need to re take the MC course, but won't be able to this year as the state courses are full and only run another couple of weekends. Regardless, I saw a pristine '92 (~9500 miles) NH on CL and it really peaked my interest. I just turned 60 this year but don't see that as a disadvantage. My only concern might be how comfortable the bike will be as I have a 34" inseam and don't need to feel cramped. I did go to the Motorcycle ERGO page and it looks like it shoudn't be an issue.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
Hi Norm,
Welcome Aboard!
 wlcm1
I'm 6' tall with a slightly longer inseam and my '96 fits me well.
A low mileage '92 sounds pretty good...  I've had my '96 for over 11 years and it's still in great shape.
I've done some mild mods to improve handling, maintenance, and mileage, but the basic bike is the easiest MC to live with that I've ever owned.
If you are planning on what you can afford, you should consider that you may need to make some investments...
On a bike with that low of a mileage, it may not have recent tires, and I'd suggest you look at their "Born on Date" - The DOT required stamp which is a two digit "weeks into the year" and two digit year... e.g. 2510 would be the 25th week of 2010 ~ June 2010.
Even if the tires look new, MC tire rubber oxidizes over time and the chemical change results in a dangerous low traction tire, because the rubber hardens and no longer has acceptable grip. 
Regardless of storage conditions, anything older than 6-7 years in ideal conditions, or 5 years if exposed to heat and sunlight will be compromised.
They will still roll and may not blow out, but the traction capability won't be there for you if you need it.
If the tires are old, you might be able to use their required replacement in your price negotiations.. or maybe not.

In any case, I hope you you find a good bike - IMHO the 750 NightHawk is a great "reentry" vehicle, and one that you also won't grow out of.
 ridn2

Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
Hi Norm,
Welcome Aboard!
 wlcm1
I'm 6' tall with a slightly longer inseam and my '96 fits me well.
A low mileage '92 sounds pretty good...  I've had my '96 for over 11 years and it's still in great shape.
I've done some mild mods to improve handling, maintenance, and mileage, but the basic bike is the easiest MC to live with that I've ever owned.
If you are planning on what you can afford, you should consider that you may need to make some investments...
On a bike with that low of a mileage, it may not have recent tires, and I'd suggest you look at their "Born on Date" - The DOT required stamp which is a two digit "weeks into the year" and two digit year... e.g. 2510 would be the 25th week of 2010 ~ June 2010.
Even if the tires look new, MC tire rubber oxidizes over time and the chemical change results in a dangerous low traction tire, because the rubber hardens and no longer has acceptable grip. 
Regardless of storage conditions, anything older than 6-7 years in ideal conditions, or 5 years if exposed to heat and sunlight will be compromised.
They will still roll and may not blow out, but the traction capability won't be there for you if you need it.
If the tires are old, you might be able to use their required replacement in your price negotiations.. or maybe not.

In any case, I hope you you find a good bike - IMHO the 750 NightHawk is a great "reentry" vehicle, and one that you also won't grow out of.
 ridn2

Thanks for the advice. He is advertising it as having new tires and a multitude of other things. The only caveat I see is his asking price although if everything he lists is true, I'm not sure he's too far off. Unfortunately the bike is a good hour and a half away and I can't run right over and take a peek at it.

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »
Norm, the picture link does work, and the bike is gorgeous! The center stand and Hondaline backrest are outstanding additions. I can see why it "piques" your interest. Don't let it get away with that low mileage on it. 

I am 6'3" and my '96 NH750 fits me well, with only a 1.5" handlebar riser added to reduce the reach and allow a more upright seating position. You might need to adjust the shifter linkage (easily done) to suit your lower leg angle.

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
Norm, the picture link does work, and the bike is gorgeous! The center stand and Hondaline backrest are outstanding additions. I can see why it "piques" your interest. Don't let it get away with that low mileage on it. 

I am 6'3" and my '96 NH750 fits me well, with only a 1.5" handlebar riser added to reduce the reach and allow a more upright seating position. You might need to adjust the shifter linkage (easily done) to suit your lower leg angle.

OK. He's asking $2600. I have compared the price with others and some are higher and others lower. Here is the text to his ad.

"1992 CB750 Honda Nighthawk
Only 9k miles, Well kept and maintained. Clean and smooth riding. All new parts have less than 100 miles on them.
Brand New: Tune up. Premium NGK
Iridium spark plugs, Carbs cleaned & sync'd while DynoJet Stage 1 jet kit installed. Premium Mobil 1 Oil & filter. New Air Filter. New Premium Michelin Pilot Tires. RK Race Chain. Battery. Fuel Petcock and fuel filter. Premium front and rear EBC Brakes. Has factory Honda Backrest. Clutch is strong and smooth. No Leaks. These bikes have hydraulic valves : never need adjusting. They are very dependable. Easy handling, comfortable standard riding position. Smooth spirited power that won't get you in trouble. Excellent commuter / daily driver. I don't need to sell this bike, so please, serious inquiries only"

Offline mollusc

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »
That looks like a hell of a good, deal, actually.  You might be able to find another one in good condition for a little less money, but probably not with such low mileage and not with all of the new parts and maintenance done.  At 9k miles this is barely off the showroom floor!
made of meat

Offline NH750Kitch

• View Profile
  • Bike: '93 750 NH
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:51:39 PM »
That looks like a hell of a good, deal, actually.  You might be able to find another one in good condition for a little less money, but probably not with such low mileage and not with all of the new parts and maintenance done.  At 9k miles this is barely off the showroom floor!

I agree with our esteemed Mollusc, definitely a good deal if everything claimed is true.  I have a pristine '93 with now well over 30K (purchased over 9 years ago with about 13K) and since then the only common items I've had to replace over that time in addition to the usual fluids, filters and light bulbs has been tires, front brake pads, battery, chain, sprockets and the steering head bearings.  The bottom line is that these are very reliable and easy to maintain motorcycles!
Kitch

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
Appreciate the comments. I've been looking at other's bikes here and I really like the look of the Corbon gunfighter and some of the aftermarket fairings. I noticed some have one down near the four exhausts  in front, but haven't seen those advertised anywhere. I've always liked the look of a solo seat but I guess I would need a cruiser to be able to use one.

Offline ruezi

• View Profile
  • Bike: 750 NH - 1991
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 03:56:29 AM »
Looks very nice... mabye I would ask if the fork doesn´t loose oil (I think to see a little bit on one photo). It seems to be, that the back springs are a little bit rusty. Both points to talk about the price.
Over 280.000 crazy Miles on my bikes

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Hey Norm,
Wow - I concur with the consensus opinion...
THAT is a good looking bike.
 nice1
I have a Corbin gunfighter on my '96 - It lowers the seat a bit and I like it better than stock with a gel pad (a must for me because the Corbin is a bit hard).
You can see what it looks like on my bike which also has a Rifle fairing that I like a LOT:
http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,3441.msg31180.html#msg31180

Anyway, the bike looks well cared for and the price is actually good considering the condition, and ESPECIALLY the mileage.
If I was looking, (assuming the pics were current!) - I'd buy it - even at full price.

DD

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
Hey Norm,
Wow - I concur with the consensus opinion...
THAT is a good looking bike.
 nice1
I have a Corbin gunfighter on my '96 - It lowers the seat a bit and I like it better than stock with a gel pad (a must for me because the Corbin is a bit hard).
You can see what it looks like on my bike which also has a Rifle fairing that I like a LOT:
http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,3441.msg31180.html#msg31180

Anyway, the bike looks well cared for and the price is actually good considering the condition, and ESPECIALLY the mileage.
If I was looking, (assuming the pics were current!) - I'd buy it - even at full price.

Very nice and BRIGHT.  :jkam:   It appears you've had two different fairings. Are they both Rifle?

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Hi Norm,
per your comment:
"Very nice and BRIGHT.  It appears you've had two different fairings. Are they both Rifle?"

Well, I agree it's a high viz bike! .. but it's amazing that people STILL don't see me!
I've only had one fairing installed... It was (and is) a Rifle Sport.
I REALLY like the fairing - Light weight, good protection, storage pockets and the mileage improved with better aerodynamics...
Maybe a pic snuck in with a Honda decal I had on it earlier...  It's all dragons now.

The Rifle comes in a nice gloss black and the stock install kit fits well and easily on the NightHawk. 

Any plans on retrieving the bike?

DD

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »

Any plans on retrieving the bike?

The earliest I could look at it would be next week. A few others have popped up on CL at lower prices. Not quite the same condition but the financial part of my brain is kicking in. I would also need to find storage for the winter months. I'm not usually an impulse buyer when it comes to spending that kind of money. Fortunately the stock market has been good to me this year and the cash isn't a problem. The state run courses won't start up again until next March or so. I could just go take the written test and get the learner's permit which would at least allow me to legally practice in local parking lots until I felt comfortable with the bike as long as the winter has some mild days.

Offline studiosteve

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 NH750
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 10:52:56 PM »
I paid that amount for mine 5 years ago with 25k miles. (yr 2000, mechanically and cosmetically perfect)  The prices for these bikes vary significantly by location, but around here (Chicago) I would not have hesitated to buy that one.  The factory luggage rack and center stand alone would set you back $300.  New tires mounted another $300.  Chain and sprockets $200.  Not to mention that thing looks PRISTINE!  Try to witness a cold start if you go see it....if she fires up and idles smooth I say go for it.

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
I paid that amount for mine 5 years ago with 25k miles. (yr 2000, mechanically and cosmetically perfect)  The prices for these bikes vary significantly by location, but around here (Chicago) I would not have hesitated to buy that one.  The factory luggage rack and center stand alone would set you back $300.  New tires mounted another $300.  Chain and sprockets $200.  Not to mention that thing looks PRISTINE!  Try to witness a cold start if you go see it....if she fires up and idles smooth I say go for it.

The more I've looked, the price seems to be inline. Others that I've seen are not nearly as nice looking and have at least double the mileage and some are only priced slightly less. I was hoping to make the trip this week, but other things got in the way and my weekends are booked for the most part. He has since dropped the price $105.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Wow, bike looks GREAT, as does the price and upgrades/maintenance done. As someone who happily rides a much higher mileage '92 CB750 NH myself, I'd say: Go for it!
Every day is a gift.

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
I've texted the guy (his preferred communication) and asked if his price is negotiable. He lowered it to $2495 but I think I'll offer $2100. Hoping to look at it next week sometime.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »
Norm,
Trust me, you could do a LOT worse even paying $2500.
At $2100, with its mileage and accessories, you'd be stealing it.   
It took me six months of looking daily to find a NH750 in similar condition (for $3000).
Like others have said, if that puppy starts up cold (grab the cylinder head - lightly ;-) and you let a couple of hundred get in the way, you could have nightmares for years!

DD

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
Norm,
Trust me, you could do a LOT worse even paying $2500.
At $2100, with its mileage and accessories, you'd be stealing it.   
It took me six months of looking daily to find a NH750 in similar condition (for $3000).
Like others have said, if that puppy starts up cold (grab the cylinder head - lightly ;-) and you let a couple of hundred get in the way, you could have nightmares for years!

Yup..know the drill. He did respond and verified that he would consider an offer. The bike's been on the market for about a month. He's in the rural southern part of our state and I'm guessing the market isn't hot for that type of bike. I plan to go down early next week and look as soon as he gets back to me about his schedule. I don't think he will accept the $2100 but he may counter. I'm an honest guy and won't waste his time. The $2495 will be in my pocket in case it all looks good.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »
We're all rooting for ya, Norm!

DD

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
We're all rooting for ya, Norm!

Already looking at helmets.....something in Hi-Viz yellow I think...

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
Lots of opinions on helmets...
Since you seem to be "value oriented?"  You may want to keep in mind that:

- A helmet is not forever .. It's a wear out commodity that will lose its capability to protect your brain over time (avg life ~5 years)
- Helmet ratings found in the US are typically DOT (required) and Snell (not required legally, but more stringent requirements to pass)
- Heads are shaped differently and some helmets fit certain head types better than others
- The worlds "finest" helmet won't do you as much good if it doesn't fit properly
- A helmet that isn't comfortable will seriously degrade your fun on a bike

There are some good "how to fit a helmet" videos on the major online retailers you might want to check out.
Even Jay Leno discovered that he was not wearing his correct size after decades of wearing a helmet.
You may want to visit several bike shops and try on a few.
You can spend a LOT or not so much.
In the latter category, you might want to check out HJC. 
They put out a well made DOT and Snell rated helmet for a lot less than half the price of some others.
I'm wearing a recent third new HJC, and the total cost of all 3 was less than a single Arai, which is a good helmet.
The point is a new HJC every 5 years is going to offer more protection than a more expensive 10 year old helmet..
My 2 cents..
Happy Hunting..

DD

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
Lots of opinions on helmets...
Since you seem to be "value oriented?"  You may want to keep in mind that:

- A helmet is not forever .. It's a wear out commodity that will lose its capability to protect your brain over time (avg life ~5 years)
- Helmet ratings found in the US are typically DOT (required) and Snell (not required legally, but more stringent requirements to pass)
- Heads are shaped differently and some helmets fit certain head types better than others
- The worlds "finest" helmet won't do you as much good if it doesn't fit properly
- A helmet that isn't comfortable will seriously degrade your fun on a bike

There are some good "how to fit a helmet" videos on the major online retailers you might want to check out.
Even Jay Leno discovered that he was not wearing his correct size after decades of wearing a helmet.
You may want to visit several bike shops and try on a few.
You can spend a LOT or not so much.
In the latter category, you might want to check out HJC. 
They put out a well made DOT and Snell rated helmet for a lot less than half the price of some others.
I'm wearing a recent third new HJC, and the total cost of all 3 was less than a single Arai, which is a good helmet.
The point is a new HJC every 5 years is going to offer more protection than a more expensive 10 year old helmet..
My 2 cents..
Happy Hunting..

Value oriented at times....yes When it comes to the noggin, I know better. I was a volunteer firefighter/emt in my younger days (not that I'm old now). I saw too much carnage not to know better. Unfortunately, I don't think using my leather New Yorker or Philadelphia helmets will work here. :)  I'm actually looking at the HJC Symax III. I actually found a new one in my size online for $199. So far the reviews seem to be good. Most of my riding wil be most likely around town. I plan to stay off freeways if I can help it although statistically I believe it's safer than back roads. I caled some local shops to see if I can check for fitment, but the helmets seem to be scarce in a medium.

Offline Mulegandy99

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 cb750
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
Welcome!
McG99

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
Thanks...well the guy hasn't responded to subsequent texts. Bike is still listed.... hoping he will get back to me soon about driving down to see the bike.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved