Username: Password:

Author Topic: Garage Humidity Concerns  (Read 88 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Garage Humidity Concerns
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
We’ve had our fair share of “arctic blasts” and what not this winter, here in NE USA.

However, yesterday we had a one day, 62°F ‘heatwave,’ so I was stoked to get some projects done in my uninsulated and unheated garage and ‘barn’ (pole bldg).

I realize that’s a drastic, unseasonal weather change, yet was shocked at the high humidity nonetheless.

Seemingly everything, including my ‘92 Nighthawk, was covered in condensation!

I’ve since read that I should coat the garage/barn floors, remove the chest freezer, and possibly install some sort of circulating fan, to help combat this, for starters. Of course, two soaked SUV’s will always introduce a ton of moisture regardless.

I noticed if I had stuff laying on top of things, everything underneath appeared dry, so...

Should I use my motorcycle cover, in my garage?

I’m thinking so, as of yesterday.

Any other helpful tips or thoughts on inexpensively combating this?

Unfortunately, finishing off garage/barn interior (insulation/drywall) isn’t an option in the foreseeable future.

Just noticed a pair of brand new, needle nose pliers had already rusted (which I’ll oil), which got my attention.

Every day is a gift.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: Garage Humidity Concerns
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »
I keep my Moto Guzzi in a tempo garage because it's too big to run down the ramp into my basement with my other bikes. I keep it covered with an inexpensive Nelson-Rigg cover. We had a 2 day 48 F warm spell before getting back into the Arctic Blast. The only condensation I saw was on the fuel tank and only up to where it was filled to. I wiped it off before the flash freeze yesterday.

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
Re: Garage Humidity Concerns
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 07:35:26 AM »
This was a topic of a Cleveland Moto podcast I recently listened to. They gave a couple of inexpensive tips:

1. Buy an inexpensive box fan and put it on a timer so that it runs for a a while every day. Condensation typically happens closer to the ground (as evidenced by the 'sweating' of my garage's concrete floor at times in the winter). Circulating the higher, drier air will help reduce condensation near the ground.

2.  When putting the bike away for winter, spray the entire bike down in a water-repellent solution like WD-40. A related tip was to purchase WD-40 in a bulk jug, then put it into a spray bottle for use -- much more economical. The WD-40 will keep the water from reaching the corrodable surfaces, but can be washed off in the spring with soapy water.

Get on your bikes and ride!

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved