Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hogback Mountain  (Read 240 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
  • Bike: Versys 650 LT
Hogback Mountain
« on: October 20, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »

I took a break from work yesterday and looked for Fall colors and some interesting roads.  Got a little bit of each.  My ride went across Massachusetts along HWY 2 with a nice ride along the Quabbin Reservoir and a few brief stops.  I then rode farther west through the Pioneer Valley to the town of Erving for a nice lunch at an antique shop named the Freight Station that also had a lunch counter.  Pushed further west after lunch until HWY 112 and rode that north to Vermont and connected to HWY 9 and looped back east with another stop at the grand lookout of Hogback Mountain.  Quite a few people enjoying the view.  Speaking of views, here are a few photos from the trip.

Thought I had the rest stop to myself and then some dude in red pick-up truck rolls into the parking lot and ruins my photo.

I got a new iPhone and have been playing around with the panorama feature.  This is looking east over the Quabbin Reservoir.  I know you can't see the water in this photo, it would be off to the right or south from this vantage point.

Lunch at the Freight Station antique shop.  This tuna salad sandwich has more calories than their burger.  It was good.

The antique shop was huge and in one corner they had a bunch of guitars.

The view from Hogback Mountain overlooking the forest to the southeast.

The guardrail along the overlook is cluttered with stickers and graffiti.

Days are getting shorter and the sun was getting a bit low in the sky so I hustled myself home along HWY 2.  About a two and a half hour ride from Hogback mountain back to home.

Hope I get some more days to ride this year... it's always hit and miss with the weather and available time.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
Re: Hogback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »
Nice shots. Even your bike is very autumnal in color.
 The leaves are very late this year. Must be due to the wet summer and very warm fall. It's the same up here in Quebec.

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »

I took a break from work yesterday and looked for Fall colors and some interesting roads.  Got a little bit of each.  My ride went across Massachusetts along HWY 2 with a nice ride along the Quabbin Reservoir and a few brief stops.  I then rode farther west through the Pioneer Valley to the town of Erving for a nice lunch at an antique shop named the Freight Station that also had a lunch counter.  Pushed further west after lunch until HWY 112 and rode that north to Vermont and connected to HWY 9 and looped back east with another stop at the grand lookout of Hogback Mountain.  Quite a few people enjoying the view.  Speaking of views, here are a few photos from the trip.

Thought I had the rest stop to myself and then some dude in red pick-up truck rolls into the parking lot and ruins my photo.

I got a new iPhone and have been playing around with the panorama feature.  This is looking east over the Quabbin Reservoir.  I know you can't see the water in this photo, it would be off to the right or south from this vantage point.

Lunch at the Freight Station antique shop.  This tuna salad sandwich has more calories than their burger.  It was good.

The antique shop was huge and in one corner they had a bunch of guitars.

The view from Hogback Mountain overlooking the forest to the southeast.

The guardrail along the overlook is cluttered with stickers and graffiti.

Days are getting shorter and the sun was getting a bit low in the sky so I hustled myself home along HWY 2.  About a two and a half hour ride from Hogback mountain back to home.

Hope I get some more days to ride this year... it's always hit and miss with the weather and available time.

I know exactly where those first 2 shots were taken at on Route 202N side.
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline alan f

• View Profile
  • Bike: CM400C CB250NH
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »
That sure is some beautiful country.  I've been across VT on rt100 many times but have yet to do it on a bike.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
Clearview, do you ride that area often?  It's a small hike for me to get there from the Boston area. Not too far but the traffic coming back is usually exhausting.

Offline clearviewx

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02CB750 14CBDLX
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 08:45:34 AM »
Pretty close for me.
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthaw

Offline alan f

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »
Boston eh?  I'm up on the border in Haverhill, MA.
Since the millenium or so I've been hanging with a group I met through Sohc/4, our local forum was recently hacked and I started up a Google group to keep things going.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!forum/newenglandhondaguys

If that link (from my phone sorry) doesn't work,  just search NEHondaGuys.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »
Boston eh?  I'm up on the border in Haverhill, MA.
Since the millenium or so I've been hanging with a group I met through Sohc/4, our local forum was recently hacked and I started up a Google group to keep things going.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!forum/newenglandhondaguys

If that link (from my phone sorry) doesn't work,  just search NEHondaGuys.

I live in Stoneham specifically, we are not too far apart. Maybe we could meet for a ride on e day.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »
PM sent.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 07:00:01 AM »
Pretty close for me.

Maybe I'll see you on the road some time.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
Thanks for the report Dan.  Here in TX our leaves did not start turning until late Oct and are still in full color.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved