Username: Password:

Author Topic: Opinions on this photo of a 92  (Read 173 times)

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
Opinions on this photo of a 92
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
Have yet to pull the trigger on one, but have been doing a lot of reading about NHs. I came across this photo of one that was put up for sale and sold some time ago. I really like how this one sits a tad lower on the frame and can only assume it's the result of the type of rear shocks that are used. I'm guessing the the restricted amount of travel could cause a bumpier ride in some situations. Are there any other disadvantages to setting a NH up in this configuration?

EDIT: Just realized I wasn't suppose to post technical topics here. Please move to appropriate forum if need be.

Online Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
Re: Opinions on this photo of a 92
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
It's easy to find shorter-than-stock shocks for the NH. To avoid bottoming under weight, the springs must be stiffer, giving a harsh ride.

Unless you also raise the fork tubes in the triple tree, you alter the steering geometry, slowing the steering from the increased fork angle.

Being 6'3" and around 235-240 lbs, I can use the height and the ability to carry a passenger and/or luggage while keeping comfortable.

In other words, I wouldn't do it, but don't let that stop you if you like the bike; it's an easily-reversible modification with stock-spec parts.

Offline alan f

• View Profile
  • Bike: CM400C CB250NH
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »
Those look like stock shocks from an older Honda Rebel.
I've got a set of stockers in serviceable condition but not perfectly pretty that I'd let go cheaply if you need them quickly. Shoot me a pm if needed and i'll get some photos out to you.

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
Have yet to pull the trigger on one, but have been doing a lot of reading about NHs. I came across this photo of one that was put up for sale and sold some time ago. I really like how this one sits a tad lower on the frame and can only assume it's the result of the type of rear shocks that are used. I'm guessing the the restricted amount of travel could cause a bumpier ride in some situations. Are there any other disadvantages to setting a NH up in this configuration?

EDIT: Just realized I wasn't suppose to post technical topics here. Please move to appropriate forum if need be.
IMO it looks hideous.Results would be lazy cornering,bad handling overall plus back pain ride over bumps.Just don't see the "beauty" of it.If anything raising the rear makes turning faster and observing the bumps better which I did on mine.

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
Those look like stock shocks from an older Honda Rebel.
I've got a set of stockers in serviceable condition but not perfectly pretty that I'd let go cheaply if you need them quickly. Shoot me a pm if needed and i'll get some photos out to you.

A little too soon. Would need a bike first which I'm working on.

Offline NormH3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »

IMO it looks hideous.Results would be lazy cornering,bad handling overall plus back pain ride over bumps.Just don't see the "beauty" of it.If anything raising the rear makes turning faster and observing the bumps better which I did on mine.

Oh well. I guess we all have different opinions about what looks good. Regardless, I think my questions have been answered. I certainly do not want to change the cornering characteristics for the worse.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved