Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where did that TDodge7 guy go?  (Read 470 times)

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
Where did that TDodge7 guy go?
« on: November 01, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
Nowhere really, I've been away for a bit, had a computer break down for a bit and I didn't like doing the message boards from my phone so I just kind of took a break from message boards. I'm just now getting back to some of my favorite forums and thought I'd swing by and say hey to everyone, not sure who's still here from the old boards.

I still have my 84 700S, the bike never seems to need any work, just keeps on going. I also added a 1972 Yamaha R5 to the stable and the 71 Bonneville is still very much a project that I unfortunately never work on, too many projects too little time. Anyways I'll be by a little more often now.

I'm parting out a 92 750 in the for sale section

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where did that TDodge7 guy go?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:45:19 AM »
Good to see you back.  Nice looking RD.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
Nice looking Hawk!
That Yamaha looks like it has a lot left too..
Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »
Thanks, yeah the R5 pre-dates the RD by 3 years, I found this one on it's side in a swamp in some dudes back yard in MD. Surprisingly most of the chrome polished up, I mirror polished the forks and front wheel, still need to get around to the back wheel and I'd like to paint the frame. I have a new seat cover for it that needs to go on too but like I said too many projects too little time. It rips though, gotta love 2 strokes.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
Wow - That's amazing.. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to... 
Current chrome can barely make it through a fog...
I know what you mean about the two strokes...
Reminds me of my first bike.. a Bridgestone 90 - circa 1967..
Other than mixing the oil and gas, it just ran and ran...
Please repost a pic when you get the Yammi all prettied up!

DD

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
Those Bridgestones were sweet, I almost bought a Bridgestone 350 GTR a while back, only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on it was parts availability. It's a shame they got strong-armed out of the motorcycle making business way back when, they put together some neat bikes.

Also since I was last here I also lost my bike hauler, my black stepside GMC Sonoma, it wasn't insured for anything so I had to use my savings to replace it with a practical reliable truck, so I did what any sane person would do and I bought an 85 El Camino and then immediately blew the engine up. I've got more into it than I can sell it for now so I'm fixing what I can before it gets too cold. In fact I may part out my 92 Nighthawk 750 soon to help with the replacement El Camino engine fund. Looks nice though, currently I'm spending most of my time trying to get it going again.

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »
It's ok, I got it from a friend of mine after the #2 connecting rod abruptly and violently tried to escape the top and then the bottom of the crankcase in a few places. I've been keeping it around because it shares some parts with my 700S but I need the El Camino working more than I need a parts bike that isn't 100% compatible with mine anyway. There's some pretty good parts on it too.

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »
Well, I guess it's okay then. You had me worried.  fans1

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
TDodge,
You might want to post in the classifieds, if you haven't already... I know there are some active posters building 750's...

DD

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
I'm breaking it down, taking pictures, and getting prices right now.

Offline Captainkirk

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 Nighthawk S
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Welcome back!
Measure twice, cut once

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »
... to help with the replacement El Camino engine fund. Looks nice though, currently I'm spending most of my time trying to get it going again.
You're right about that El Camino ! 
One word description - "DANG!" 
That is a clean '85... a nice slice of Western Romance you got there.. 
Maybe a 327 and you'll have a haulin' hauler..

DD

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
Thanks Captainkirk, good to see you again.

Yeah the El Camino seemed like a good idea until I ran out of money right as it blew up. I haven't decided on what engine I'm going to use, if I go with another stock 305 I get a warranty and don't have to mess with any of the computer stuff (this is one of those electronic carbs that thinks it's fuel injection) but having some more oomph would be fun too.

I got the Nighthawk 750 all taken apart and I'll be putting up the thread in the classifieds soon.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
That's a sharp looking "El".  When I was looking for a truck recently, I saw several really nice looking Caminos for sale.  Very tempting, but I needed the extra cab/back seat as well.  I had a '64 El Camino in the 80's, it was great fun.

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
Thanks, I was originally looking at 99-06 Silverado's because my single cab Sonoma was a little on the small in the cab and I missed having a V8 but all the Silverado's I test drove felt like a little bigger than I really needed and unfortunately S10's don't come in V8 unless you swap them yourself. Plus every Silverado I looked at had completely rusted out rocker panels and a billion miles. If I didn't need a truck I would have just bought another muscle car but since I only had enough room for one more vehicle it had to be a truck.

Luckily I'm the very rare person that the El Camino checks all the boxes on, there's more cab room, the same amount of room behind the seat as an extended cab plus the huge "smugglers box" that extends under the bed from inside the cab, the 305 in the El Camino on paper gets the same or better mileage than a 4.3 V6 S10 but with more torque, I can fit a motorcycle in the back, and it's half truck half Chevelle/Malibu. I regretfully spent more time checking out the body than I did the engine though, but I guess a solid foundation is more important than a fairly cheaply replaced engine, I'm not looking forward to changing it without a garage in the middle of winter by myself though.

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 04:50:13 AM »
Funny, I was looking at the same silverados, but I needed the extra cab, and I didn't want 4wd if I could avoid it.  Ran into the same things you did - either rusted out, lots of miles or both.  Wife finally convinced me to go into payments for what I (she) wanted so I have an 09 Ram 1500 CC.  In Detonator Yellow of course.  That's to replace the 09 Ram she talked me into trading years ago.

I do love the looks of the El Camino, they didn't make many that weren't pretty.  And they do the job for most people.  Would have worked for me if it wasn't for Papa's co-pilot.  Oh and the wife's big-@$$ dog.

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »
They should come out with a new El Camino, GM could use a small truck, especially since the Colorado is freakin huge now. Pontiac was going to import the Holden Ute's from Australia but they got the axe when GM went bankrupt, which I still don't understand because they were outselling Buick and Buick is still around , but I have yet to find a single Buick enthusiast besides Tiger Woods that likes any Buick made after 1987.

Those Ram's are sharp trucks, I looked at them briefly but could only afford the older ones with the transmissions made of play dough and tin foil. Does yours have the little super bee stripe at the back or did they stop that by 09?

Oh yeah, here is the link to my 92 Nighthawk 750 part out thread in case anyone missed it:    http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,3578.0.html

Offline Wahrsuul

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »
can't say as I'm a fan of Buick either, I'd rather they kept Pontiac and Olds, but...  Yeah, my brother down in FL has a Colorado/Canyon, I've ridden in it, but it doesn't really do much for me.  I love the 4th Gen Rams, from 09 up  I wish I could have gotten one of the newer ones with the 8sp trans, but couldn't afford the payments.

No stripes on mine.  The Rumble Bee was a "special edition" in 05, I think.  I can get the super bee style stripes, but haven't decided on anything yet.

Offline TDodge7

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »
The newest Rams I looked at were like 03-04 but they were all beat up, I looked at a lot more the 90's ones. If I towed a trailer at all I'd definitely go Silverado or Ram, I don't mess with Fords anymore since they stopped making push rod V8's, if I wanted a bunch of cams and chains in my V8 I'd buy a Tundra and be done with it. 

Yeah I miss Olds too. I keep waiting for Buick to drop a new Grand National and prove me wrong, but knowing GM they'd probably bring it back as a 4 cylinder non turbo 4 door.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved