Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tank restoration  (Read 184 times)

Offline Cbb129

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 Nighthawk
Tank restoration
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
Looking to get my tank restored to new.  Anyone know of any companies that would restore an 83 Candy Wineberry tank to new condition inside and out ?  Want to get exact same paint and emblems as original stock.  Thanks.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
Re: Tank restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »
Yikes!
A one stop shop that does it all would be a custom builder / restorer willing to work on a Honda.
If such a place exists, the bill for what you are asking would consist of a long series of numbers and commas...

You might consider doing the internals yourself (you can find some good success stories on the forum).
Candy paint is incredibly hard to match, even for an expert.
It might be less expensive to have all the body work repainted rather than even trying to get the tank to match the other bodywork.

If you can find a similar paint, an auto body / paint place can "un-ding" the tank and shoot the paint / clear-coat.
Finding original emblems will be a job in itself.
If these are decals, you may have to do some serious scrounging and/or settle for something similar.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but one of the issues with a 34 year old bike is parts (un)availability.
 :(

Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline Rakillia

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 84 CB700S
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
+1. Por-15 the inside then paint everything together. A good paint shop will be able to match the paint code. It would still be several hundred dollars. The more prep work you can do yourself, the cheaper it will be

Offline Cbb129

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 Nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
Yeah, kinda what I figured.  I already did the apple cider vinegar method on the inside of the tank twice and it looks pretty good.  Only problem I had is that it flash rusts immediately, but not too bad.  I've read a lot of different methods of sealing the inside, but I'd rather have it professionally done and quite frankly I don't have the time or patience to do it myself.  My tank is in perfect condition, no dents or dings and just a few nicks in the paint.  Money isn't really an object as I love this bike, it was the first brand new bike I ever bought back in 1983 when I was 23.  It's a nostalgia thing.  I'd buy a brand new tank if they were available, but as stated above the problem with a 34 year old bike is parts availability. 

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved