Username: Password:

Author Topic: Found another NH for sale...considering  (Read 310 times)

NormH3

Found another NH for sale...considering
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »
As some here know, I missed out on a very nice NH with very low miles because I hedged on the asking price. Recently, this bike became available and the owner is asking $2500. Kelley states trade in value is $1100 and dealer retail is $1900. It's been on the market for at least of month and is 2 hours from me. Just looking for opinions. Included is the text from the ad.     

"I purchased this bike almost 10 years ago in mint condition with about 15k miles. I put on 10k miles. It is in incredible condition and can be ridden anywhere and everywhere. It's been garage kept, and serviced only by Honda dealers. The only service this bike has ever needed is oil changes each season. Newer chain, tires. Bomb proof engine. Saddle bags, user manual and repair guide included.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers"

Offline Rubo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 NH 750
Re: Found another NH for sale...considering
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
As some here know, I missed out on a very nice NH with very low miles because I hedged on the asking price. Recently, this bike became available and the owner is asking $2500. Kelley states trade in value is $1100 and dealer retail is $1900. It's been on the market for at least of month and is 2 hours from me. Just looking for opinions. Included is the text from the ad.     

"I purchased this bike almost 10 years ago in mint condition with about 15k miles. I put on 10k miles. It is in incredible condition and can be ridden anywhere and everywhere. It's been garage kept, and serviced only by Honda dealers. The only service this bike has ever needed is oil changes each season. Newer chain, tires. Bomb proof engine. Saddle bags, user manual and repair guide included.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers"

He is asking too much in my opinion. Shave off $500-800. If tires are new that's worth maybe 2k or less tops otherwise has no engine guards and may not have center stand.
For 2500 you can buy decent condition ST1100 with nice wind protection bags and actually can go long distances.I like NH but not for that kind of money. In my view NH are 1k-1500 zone bikes.Plenty available cheaper don't rush.

NormH3

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »

He is asking too much in my opinion. Shave off $500-800. If tires are new that's worth maybe 2k or less tops otherwise has no engine guards and may not have center stand.
For 2500 you can buy decent condition ST1100 with nice wind protection bags and actually can go long distances.I like NH but not for that kind of money. In my view NH are 1k-1500 zone bikes.Plenty available cheaper don't rush.

These were my thoughts as well. The bike I missed out on had the center stand and Hondaline backrest and was asking a similar price.  I was thinking $1800 would be more than fair.

Online Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »
It can't hurt to make an offer. Worst case he'll say no. It looks very nice.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:39:06 AM »
Hey Norm,
It looks pretty clean except for the header discoloration.. Maybe it was/is running a bit too lean...
Kelly blue book is pretty much worthless for bikes, for a variety of reasons.
What year is it ??
A 2003 is worth more than a 1993...
Since it's dealer serviced, you might be able to talk to their service department to see what has been done over 10 years...
The guy should also have receipts.  If it's only oil changes, I'd be surprised.
Recent spark plugs (how they look speaks volumes regarding engine conditions) / Compression test results / carb synch and any other maintenance performed / replaced in the last 10 years (battery / tire AGE/ brake fluid change / etc...)
I would use the lack of some needed accessories (center stand / case savers) and any needed maintenance as bargaining chips.

It does look like it's in very good cosmetic condition.
Normally "asking" $2500 means an offer is acceptable, and as Raven said, it can't hurt to make an offer.
I would suggest you do yourself a favor and wait to discuss price in person.
The last thing a seller wants to hear is someone trying to low ball before they even show up.
If you make a good "actual value" case, a reasonable person will negotiate. 
There's something about seeing someone with a handful of Franklins that makes the lower offer more acceptable.

Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline n5tbu

• View Profile
  • Bike: Late model 750
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
Norm,where are you located?
2003 NH 750 ST
1996 NH 750 ST
2009 CRF 230 L

NormH3

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
Norm,where are you located?

Delaware.

NormH3

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »
He's already mentioned he will consider offers. He's tossing in a helmet, soft saddle bags and tank bags but I'm not interested in any of them. Something else to bargain with.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 08:45:12 AM »
There you go!
BTW - If you talk to anyone knowledgeable about the subject, a used helmet is a bad idea.
I know you already have one, in "stylish yellow" as I recall...
For myself, having soft bags available is a plus, and a tank bag comes in really handy.
My 2 cents.
Did you ever find out what year the bike is?

DD

NormH3

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
There you go!
BTW - If you talk to anyone knowledgeable about the subject, a used helmet is a bad idea.
I know you already have one, in "stylish yellow" as I recall...
For myself, having soft bags available is a plus, and a tank bag comes in really handy.
My 2 cents.
Did you ever find out what year the bike is?

I'm aware of the used helmet "not necessarily a good thing" issue. Even if it had never been warn, the chances of it fitting properly is an issue. As you mentioned, I already have one that fits and feels good. The bags aren't the greatest looking and not ones that I would purchase..again personal taste. The bike is a '95. My schedule won't allow me to venture out to see it until the New Year.

Online studiosteve

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 NH750
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
Engine is not black, its an older one...

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 10:40:14 AM »
Engine is not black, its an older one...
Wow - I knew that the '96 was the first year for the blacked out engine (and Superior YELLOW paint)...
One cosmetic reason I chose my bike was because of the blacked out power plant...
So all 750 NH engines all black from 96 on? 
I had thought it was just an attractive option...

DD

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »
So all 750 NH engines all black from 96 on?

Yes.

I had thought it was just an attractive option...

No.

NormH3

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 06:42:22 AM »
The blacked out engine looks good on your yellow bike, but I prefer non blacked out on a black bike. As far as the NH red and blue, they look like tricycle colors too me.  :)

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved