Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's Your NightHawk Worth?  (Read 452 times)

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 Honda NH
What's Your NightHawk Worth?
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »
There are multiple ways of looking at value, based on perspective.

If it's your bike and you're keeping it, it doesn't matter... unless you consider the implications of your modifications and maintenance, or lack thereof when you eventually decide to sell it for whatever reason.

If it's your bike and you're selling it, you don't want to give it away, but to sell anything, you need to be somewhere in the ballpark of market pricing, or find someone who WANTS the bike regardless.

If you are looking to buy, it helps to know what you should expect to know what a "good deal" is.

Keep in mind that not all motorcycles are created equal, and over time even more so.

The NightHawk has been out of production since 2003, and so after 15 years, even the later models have entered the "classic" phase.
Classic is a somewhat loosely defined term for a vehicle, because it is also based upon subjective popularity.
An old vehicle that nobody wants doesn't make the cut.

Hagerty is a well known valuation company for classics, as opposed to KBB which loses accuracy for valuations over time.
They use a significant amount of real world transaction research in their valuations.

I looked up the value of my bike, a very clean 1996.
Here's what found...

Current Values
#1 Concours  $3,400 - Showroom condition without a blemish
#2 Excellent  $2,700 - You have to look hard to find imperfections
#3 Good       $2,000 -  Visible imperfections
#4 Fair         $1,400  - Needs work

The prices for these bikes has been rising, and is likely to continue, as there is no resupply, and a strong demand. 
It may pay off for you in the long run to keep your bike in good condition, noting that premium prices are paid for stock condition machines.

If you are looking to buy a great condition, low mileage NightHawk, good luck finding an excellent bike at a poor condition price.

On a supply note, I took a look at CycleTrader. 
Out of over 376,000 bikes for sale on the website, in the entire country there were a total of 6 1991-2003 NightHawks for sale.
Obviously the trader is not the only source, but indicative of the lack of supply.

The advertised prices of the few available appear to be in line considering this isn't bike buying season.

I guess the bottom line is, if you're looking for a cheap used bike, it likely isn't going to be a CB750 NightHawk.
In fact, in the not too distant future, you may not be able to find one period - unless you are quick, have lots of cash, or get lucky.

Keep the Rubber on the Bottom!

DD

Offline Cazallaa

• View Profile
Re: What's Your NightHawk Worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:59:55 PM »
Can this knowledge be learned on their own?

Online Raven

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1982 CB650SC
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »
Can this knowledge be learned on their own?

And your point is what?

Offline glenncal1

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 Nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »
Geography plays a big part as well. I think (always dangerous I know) that these bikes may be a little more popular in the coastal areas than inland. At least here in Colorado you see a lot of Harleys and for Japanese bikes big cruisers.

Online hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
All other things being equal (which in practicality is virtually impossible), the late model CB750 seems to command a higher price than other UJM bikes of the same vintage

They are getting more rare, but are by no means unobtainable. There are plenty more examples of these bikes in the market, many at better prices - in the $2k range. It is getting harder to find one that is very clean, in original condition, and with less than 50,000 miles.

I think a lot of what is driving the good resale price is nostalgia. The only demographic that is actually buying motorcycles in the US now is very aware if the nighthawk and what it meant to motorcycling.

Regardless, something is worth what the market will pay and the NH has held its value pretty good over the past 5 years, better than most of its competitors.

In my opinion though, there are far better values out there in the used motorcycle market.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:30:48 AM »
I don't see anything in your post I disagree with.

My 63 VW Window bus that I gave away for $1000, in pristine condition would now be worth over $100 grand in the current market.
There are MANY better values than the VW Bus if you are looking for a van.
That fact doesn't diminish the VW's value, or applied to a MC, the fact that you can find a cheaper bike doesn't alter the NightHawk's value either.

You are also right about demographics...
The average age of a motorcyclist goes up every year, because many potential younger entry riders don't buy bikes.

I agree about the nostalgia effect. 
It was one of the reasons why I chose the NightHawk over everything else available at the time.
Back in the day I had a beautiful custom '74 CB750, and the 'Hawk is basically the same bike, but SO much easier to live with.
I enjoy working on my vehicles, and with the 'Hawk I can do EVERYTHING myself, even though there isn't much to do.

One of the other reasons is that for a "classic/nostalgia" vehicle, the CB750 has probably more available parts than most other bikes a third of its age.
Very few (any?) bikes were produced virtually unchanged over a period of what.. 13-14 YEARS?

Finally, I think another factor is the reputation for reliability which is justly deserved.

So, acquisition cost may make finding a great 'Hawk more initially expensive, but I'm thinking by the time I hang up my helmet, it will likely be sold for more than what I paid for it.  Nostalgia tends to increase as time goes on, and resale is a component of value.

That being said, someone can always find a "better deal" in terms of price, if they are not locked into a specific vehicle, especially one in short supply.

DD

Online hppants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »
Agree with you, DD - all of your comments lend even more credibility to the inherently higher resale value and desirability of the nighthawk, specifically the late model CB750.

For me personally, that concept is getting more and more foreign.  There was a time when my anal tendencies were overwhelming.  I spent hours (COUNTLESS HOURS) polishing and fretting over my things, including the nighthawks.  I'd be finished and I'd just sit there and stare at it in awe.

One day I had an epiphany.  What the heck is the fun in that?

Then I started actually RIDING my motorcycle.  Like to places farther away.  Farther than 1 day places, where the cleaning kit has to stay at home.  In all kinds of weather.  To campgrounds that are just a little bit off the beaten path.  To overlooks that are kind of tilted where the kickstand can give way when you least expect it, tipping the bike and scratching the mirror or something else.  To places that are 30 degrees and your heated jacket liner power cord sometimes rubs against the clear coat on the tank.  To the Ozarks in the spring, where the love bugs are so thick, you stop to flush the radiator and restore cooling to optimum.

And on and on and on....

When I'm on the road touring, and stop at some place where I see a lot of bikes, I NEVER gravitate to the bike that is spit shine pretty front and center with a poser standing next to it in a brand new jacket.  Nope - I go straight to the dirtiest, grungiest bike where the rider's jacket is so dingy you can't tell what color it was new.  Yep - that dude is the one I want to talk to.

I still get the preservation thing.  I spent 5 hours at the Barber museum last year and need to go back to finish what I started.  I watch at least some of Barrett Jackson's auction every year in appreciation for these collector vehicles and the work that goes into getting them on the block.

But my motorcycle isn't that kind of investment.  Whatever it loses in value from normal wear and tear, I get back one thousand fold in (s)miles.

And BTW - don't be nervous about DIY ability on the modern motorcycle.  I haven't paid a dealer to do anything and believe me, I'm no mechanic.  More like a parts changer.  But the fact is, new bikes are as reliable (even MORE reliable) than the older ones.  Join the forum for the bike, start reading, and you are good to go.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
Yep - I love to ride myself, and I'm at the end of 5 miles of dirt, so my bike isn't often picture perfect, but it cleans up "real good".
My bike is a daily rider, and since I don't have to "put it up for the winter", I probably ride more often than most..

My comment at value was intended to be directed at the hack job, versus keeping a classic closer to stock form.
The former depreciates into the value of used parts, while the latter appreciates in value over time.

You don't have to keep a bike spotless - the dirt still washes off leaving it just as clean a week or a month later.
Salt on the road - Different story.  Rust isn't sexy.

I'm not nervous about the "modern motorcycle" - I just happen to be happy with the one I have.
That includes the factor of ease of maintenance..
V4's are as much fun to work on as getting a bamboo fingernail insertion. 
I know. I've been there and done that. No thanks.

Like I said before, I like the air cooled big 4, and the naked look.  To each their own.
For me, my Hawk is not a stepping stone on the way to somewhere else.   
I've probably owned more bikes than you have, as I've been on two wheels since 1968.
I don't "not ride" because I'm worried about depreciation.  I ride just about every day. 
One difference is that I don't need to go to some far way place... or even anywhere to get to a beautiful place.
My "awesome vista" drive starts when I take my bike out of the garage and get in the saddle.

I live where people go when they are on their vacation of a lifetime.
I can see pristine lakes, the Grand Canyon, the Red Rocks of Sedona, and the twisties through Jerome on the same tank of gas.
My 'Hawk is a dependable, economical, comfortable ride with all the power I need to get me there enjoyably - and back.

IMHO motorcycle riding is a lot more about the ride and a lot less about the bike, but it helps when you like your ride.
I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine...

DD

Offline glenncal1

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 Nighthawk
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
"Like I said before, I like the air cooled big 4, and the naked look.  To each their own.
For me, my Hawk is not a stepping stone on the way to somewhere else. "

I agree, just a great bike to throw a leg over and ride comfortably into the sunset.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
glenncal1 - Yep - Yep - Yo!

DD

Offline Nitsuj

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 CB750
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
Even though I've put hours upon hours into my Nighthawk since I bought it last year, I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to sell it at some point this year.  For me, much of the fun was in working on the thing and bringing it back up to tip-top running shape.  As much as I enjoy riding it (and I do), the temptation of something else is just too great.  I'm glad to know the perceived value is the amount I bought it for or more.

Offline skramer360

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '85 700s
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
I don't really have a good idea how much my '85 700s would sell for, but I know its worth more than that to me. I finally have over 50k on the odometer and have no plans to sell it or retire from riding.

Offline Larry Fine

• View Profile
  • Bike: 96 NH 750
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »
That's exactly how I feel about my '96.

Offline Adventurer

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
Mines coming up as 1.5 Million. Is that what you guys are getting, too?[emoji23]
Every day is a gift.

Offline DesertDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 11:01:36 AM »
Wow - 1.5 million...
I "might" consider selling it for that... but then money doesn't buy happiness, and I'm happy with my bike.
Looks like I'm a millionaire...

DD

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved