Username: Password:

Author Topic: Here's what I have....  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Wosmo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
Here's what I have....
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
Last year I bought my second motorcycle... my first Nighthawk.

An '83 CB650SC that I picked up for $300 but it needed a lot of work to get it road worthy... flush and clean the brake mc, the clutch mc, clean the carbs (over and over and over...). The bike would not engage first gear no matter what I tried and a po had cut down the exhaust. I bought the manual, rolled up my sleeves and got to work. Then I answered a CL post for an '84 CB650SC for $350. I thought it was in better condition than my '83 so I scraped together the money and took a short road trip.

I was mostly right. Mechanically it was in better condition and a lot of the parts were better than what I already had. Unfortunately, my dream of riding one bike while I restored the other and then switching fell flat. The po had been in an accident that had done more frame damage than I had anticipated. It wasn't a loss though...

I stole pieces from the '84 and moved them over to the '83 and I've been riding happily since....  ridn2

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Re: Here's what I have....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »
Good to have a parts bike.  Keep these old bikes rolling. 
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline Coyote 71

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 H-D SG
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:04:39 AM »
A few weekends ago I ended up buying 3 NHs, 2 83s and one 84. One is in good shape with 11,xxx that I ride, the other does run ok but needs some TLC and the third is a donor. I was hoping to resurrect it but not looking good. Keep swapping parts till you get it the way you want.

Offline gn83tm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 06:20:54 AM »
Riding happily seems to be a common theme around here ;)  Did you somehow fix that exhaust or did you find a replacement?  It seems to be fine in your last pic.
Just happy to be here :)

Offline Wosmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
A few weekends ago I ended up buying 3 NHs, 2 83s and one 84. One is in good shape with 11,xxx that I ride, the other does run ok but needs some TLC and the third is a donor. I was hoping to resurrect it but not looking good. Keep swapping parts till you get it the way you want.
My second frame was too bent up to use but I have a lot of parts left...  if you need anything let me know. You'll also have to let me know where you're at... we can't be to far apart.

Riding happily seems to be a common theme around here ;)  Did you somehow fix that exhaust or did you find a replacement?  It seems to be fine in your last pic.
whoohoo1 That's actually a fun story too... My '84 had 1 good pipe but the other one was pretty banged up. The weekend before I swapped things around I happened to check out a nearby salvager and just by chance he had 1 good pipe on the shelf. For once, karma paid out and it was the one I needed! I also got a windshield and a round headlight housing I still haven't gotten around to installing. I'm guessing you're the right side of the river from Omaha?

Offline gn83tm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
whoohoo1 That's actually a fun story too... My '84 had 1 good pipe but the other one was pretty banged up. The weekend before I swapped things around I happened to check out a nearby salvager and just by chance he had 1 good pipe on the shelf. For once, karma paid out and it was the one I needed! I also got a windshield and a round headlight housing I still haven't gotten around to installing. I'm guessing you're the right side of the river from Omaha?
[/quote]

Lucky break on the pipe!

Yes, I grew up in the Pella/Oskaloosa area, went to school at Cyclone U, moved to Omaha for 6 months, and promptly moved back to God's side of the river  ridn2
Just happy to be here :)

Offline Wosmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
 cheers3 Nice! You get closer to my direction let me know (and I'll do the same if I get out your way). We'll put some miles on our Hawks!  bkr3

Offline Coyote 71

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 H-D SG
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 03:26:47 AM »

My second frame was too bent up to use but I have a lot of parts left...  if you need anything let me know. You'll also have to let me know where you're at... we can't be to far apart.
[/quote]

I might take you up on your offer of available parts. The frame on my donor bike is straight but sadly it has been neglected and most of the parts are close to unusable.  I live in Knoxville.  tjack

Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved