Username: Password:

Author Topic: "The Hawk" Honda Nighthawk 750 Cafe Racer. Euro tank Conversion & More  (Read 36480 times)

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
Some would say its bland looks make it fall short against other 750's, and with a lack of aftermarket goodies it doesn't really stick out as a first choice for hot rodding. Surely the last of Hondas air-cooled 750's must hold some sort of potential.. What happens when you take Honda's late forgotten grandson of the legendary CB750K and do the unspeakable?

Updated 8/1/16*
It's been about a year since I last revamped the story on this bike, since then a lot has happened and a lot has changed on the hawk. Since the last revamp the bike has seen a full engine rebuild, custom frame paint, and tons of new goodies. Thanks to this amazing motorcycle and lots of hard work, I've been given an opportunity to work at Gaston Motorcycle Werks in Gastonia, Nc. With this I've been able to really up the quality of the build from a newb home build to more professional quality.
I really appreciate all the interest in this bike and everybody who has stayed tuned  nice1

Currently looks like this.

The story If your interested on how it got there
What it looked like when I brought it home,
A picture of the massive dent.

So with the tank being the main sore spot on the bike, I started looking at either replacing it or finding a completely different tank. I looked at different cb tanks, and with lots of google searching found the Nighthawks European brother the CB750 F2 or RC-42.
Got super lucky and found one on ebay UK and snatched it up.

With some slight carving to the side covers where they meet the tank, some shaving to the frame mount on the tank, it fit.

So I then went on to figuring out what way I wanted to paint it, tossed around the idea of doing Flake Sunrise Orange with 70' K1 750 tank stripes and the Honda wing for the tank but after hours or google searches and blogs decided to go with gloss black and the k1 tank stripes.
When I bought the tank it had two slight dents in it so I had to bondo those and strip the paint

decals for the tank

I installed Bar end mirrors, Super Bike bars and lazer grips. They gave the bike a more sporty feel.
So in between doing the final paint job, I installed a Dynojet kit, Uni air filter and reverse cone mufflers from Dime City Cycles.The bike runs and sounds GREAT!
I was also getting a lot of front end vibration so I got a Super Brace for the front forks which made the front forks feel solid as a brick. I also swapped out the 86 nighthawk front fender with a cbr600rr front fender.
I would highly recommend the Super Brace.
And it finally painted.

I recently put a fresh set of pirelli sport demons on her, a larger oil cooler from a Sevenfifty which is a direct bolt on.
Here's a video of how she sounds;
So after all of the hard work painting and getting an at the time finished product,
while I was at work my aunt attempted to move the bike and knocked it over.
Ruined the paint and bent some odds and ends. So with the paint ruined I decided to do what I had always wanted to do and go all out.
This next period for the bike is kind of like a midlife crisis where it decided to get some major implants while I play surgeon.
I acquired a complete 92 FZR1000 front clip and with few saying it was impossible, swapped steering stems and bolted it up to the nighthawk. I also had complete rear suspension of that FZR that I wanted to swap onto the bike as well.
At the time I planned on Making a 80's cb750F series rear cowl styled cafe seat as well as;
Possibly a bevel fairing, I’ve have my eyes on a 900 Ducati Sport classic fairing from airtech
Custom 4-4 exhaust
Finish up Various odds n ends
The bike at the beginning of this said phase

So I found out the fzr front end was tweaked and that was the end of the midlife crisis phase. So I put the old front end back on, decided to drop the swingarm BS and just keep all the original suspension. I've since installed some RFY 15' rear shocks. I will say with the front end W/ the fork brace and the new shocks makes the bike ride brand new.

So at this point in the bikes life, I was riding it regularly with frequent 45-1 hour trips between hometowns. The bike ran amazing and as always, was a blast to ride. I moved and the frequent rides slowed down so I decided to pull the motor from the frame and do a serious detailing on the motor and frame. Out of curiosity I pulled the oil pan to check in the bottom end and clean out roughly 35k miles worth of gunk that I assumed may be there. Little did I know that at some unknown point something broke inside the motor and fed a handful of metal and gasket bits into the oil strainer before the oil pump. I was baffled as to how a very strong running motor could have such a crazy thing happen and go so unnoticed. So began the great engine rebuild..

The question remained; where did that mess come from? So to answer the question, the motor came apart, cases and all. Under closer inspection the motor checked out, no signs of oil starvation or overheating. You could even still see the hash marks inside the cylinders. After splitting the cases and literally looking at every inch of the motor, nothing was out of place.. aside from casting marks the motor was fine. So back together it went with a thorough cleaning and fresh gaskets all-around. almost 1200 miles later and I still don't know where the debris came from.  whaaaat3 If you question your nighthawks reliability just take this into account. I've put almost 10k miles on the bike since I got it and many of those miles have been hard riding and even despite having the main oil source closed 3/4 of the way it still stayed strong. Honda reliability baby. nice1

After the rebuild.

And now for the fresh painted frame  :naughty:
To add a more unique look to the bike, I wanted to strip the frame down and rock a beautiful cleared raw steel frame. After I got down to the bare metal, and finding it tough to clear the steel, my boss recommended sandblasting the frame and using black paint to create a distressed vintage look. Needless to say it was the best tip ever because after daringly doing so the bike looks insane.
My boss also so graciously wielded on a sweet fairing mount onto the steering head for when I mount the half fairing. nice1
The process:

The tripple clamps and handlebars done as well.

And the bike going (hopefully) back together for the last time for awhile.

Let me know your thoughts and im always open to questions. Thanks!
-Jesse

Offline moshee

• View Profile
Re: A sweet 93 Nighthawk 750 (lots of pictures)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
I've been curious as to whether the Euro tank would work with the U.S. Nighthawks.  What was the carving to the side plates that was required.  Could you clarify what you're referring to as "side plates".

Great looking job there.

Offline aycaramba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Looks like a lot of work went in to that project.  Very nice.

2003 Nighthawk 750 in Go Fast Red

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »
Excellent.  Love the lines of the  euro tank.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:07:54 PM »
Thanks guys! i have a lot of time and effort invested into this bike lol. but as far as the euro tank goes it fits onto the nubs on the frame perfectly, you have the shave the bolt mounting point slightly.

When it came to the side plates (section covering air box and battery) i just had to shave off this over hang, cut off the nipples that go into the old tank and create little notches on each side to snap onto the new tank.
I will post some more detailed pictures of the side plates tomorrow.

Offline umpire

• View Profile
  • Bike: 84 700s Blue
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:36:44 AM »
I like the gold on black , nice job nice1
If you don`t mind me asking ,Where did you find the Super brace ?
 Umpire

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:51:56 AM »
Thanks! I really wanted to go with the retro look and I think the black/gold does that well. http://superbrace.com/honda/ I would highly recomend it. Its expensive but the quality is awesome and it made a noticable difference on my bike.

Offline gn83tm

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1983 CB650SC
Re: A sweet 93 Nighthawk 750 w/ euro tank conversion (lots of pictures)
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
That looks cool!  I'd imagine it holds a bit more fuel as well.
Just happy to be here :)

Offline parkinsonsd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »
Did you look into getting the European plastics?  I was wondering myself if they fit the frame without modification.  You did a great job by the way.  Cool as hell.

Offline rr91

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 NH750
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
Cool as hell.
+1
Love the gold on black  nice1

Offline gfll24

• View Profile
  • Bike: 91 nighthawk 75
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »
Sounds sweet as hell man, what kind of mufflers you running( I know you said they are from dime city, but specific model name?) bkr3

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 06:54:48 AM »
I have looked ito the plastics actually, Im not honestly sure what frame modifications would be needed to fit them, but from how similar the two bikes are I imagine that they should fit with minor modifications. I think the most difficult part would be getting the seat fitted and gettin it to lock to the original lock. I know that a lot of the plastics for the seven fiftty are pretty pricey and a conpany even offers geniune carbon fiber side playes on ebay.

Thanks though! I put a lot of time and effort into the look of the bike.

As far as the mufflers go these would be them http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-exhaust-parts-17-inch-reverse-cone-megaphone-muffler-80-84030.html

Offline tomb raider

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 85 - 700s
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
Cool Ring Tone  bkr3
Jimbo

Offline Shutter

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
OP, how much fuel does it hold?

Offline RoughCafe92

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »
Bike looks awesome. The lines are so much better. What headlight cowl is that?

Offline ariwhiteboy

• Last of the V8 Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB1K-Literhawk
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
Very nice job! I've always wanted to see someone do that conversion.  nice1
What is good Phaedrus...

Offline hollowmen

• View Profile
  • Bike: 86 CB450
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »
Where did you find the Euro tank?

Offline WingNut

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1986 CB700SC
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
Wow, that is pretty  nice1 Very classy  2cool
Live Free

Offline becauseracecar

• View Profile
  • Bike: NH 750
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »
Thats sweet. I love the tank.
M-Seigler

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
With the bike straight up ive gotten it to about 5 gallons, im not sure what the original tank holds but i believe this tank holds more. I got the cowl off ebay, i believe i searched cafe fairing and it came up.
But finding the tank was fun, i got it from the uk ebay. It actually took me a couple of months to find what bike it came off of, and this was when i was new to bikes so i didnt know hondas and all that jazz. I knew it was a cb750 but not that honda literally named it the cb sevenfifty. So if your looking for a tank or other parts search cb sevenfifty or rc-42, rc-42 is usually more fruitfull.

Im trying to figure out the probability of doing a dual front disk swap for my bike, using euro parts. The front disks are the same, fork tubes are same 41mm diam. Just swap wheels over,convert rear to disk and bam my nighthawk has dual disk and front and disk in rear.

Offline Kylekcmo

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 Nighthawk
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
Looks good to me! Nicely done!

Offline noluck13

• View Profile
Re: A sweet 93 Nighthawk 750 Cafe Racer w/ euro tank conversion
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 11:30:44 PM »
Those exhaust bolt on or weld on?

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 05:18:55 AM »
They bolt on, I had to create some hanger brackets to hold them up also.

Offline Scott2.0

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:09 AM »
Wow is all I can say after hearing that exhaust!!  Sounds great.  As far as the install, did you just sawzall the old ones off at the weld and bolt the new ones on?  If that's all there is to it, I'm buying them today. 

Do you remember what number jets you bought?

Thanks!

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
Thanks! Yeah pretty much cut the exhaust at the beginning of the muffler and bolted them on. At the time of the video I had a uni air filter in it and a dynojet jet kit. The kit comes with 106 mains

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved