Username: Password:

Author Topic: "The Hawk" Honda Nighthawk 750 Cafe Racer. Euro tank Conversion & More  (Read 35619 times)

Offline Scott2.0

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
Re: A sweet 93 Nighthawk 750 Cafe Racer w/ euro tank conversion
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:28 AM »
Thanks! Yeah pretty much cut the exhaust at the beginning of the muffler and bolted them on. At the time of the video I had a uni air filter in it and a dynojet jet kit. The kit comes with 106 mains

Sweet thanks.  What did you have to do to rig the hangers?

I'm not sure that's right on the jets.  I thought our bikes stock main jet was a 112.  I'm thinking about stepping it up to a 118 but was curious about how yours ran with the kit.

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
I'll post a picture on the hanger system. But the stocker is a 112, I thought it was strange that the dynojet kit came with a 106 but and I believe a 104 as the smaller main in the kit. I'm not sure how much different your would run if you don't have the adjustable needle and ported slide but I currently have stacks on the bike and with a 110 it runs to rich so I'm gonna go with a 108. So with a 118 it could richen it up to much and break up at WOT. With the pipes filter and dynojet kit and a good spot on sync the bike ran fantastic.

Offline Scott2.0

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »
I'll post a picture on the hanger system. But the stocker is a 112, I thought it was strange that the dynojet kit came with a 106 but and I believe a 104 as the smaller main in the kit. I'm not sure how much different your would run if you don't have the adjustable needle and ported slide but I currently have stacks on the bike and with a 110 it runs to rich so I'm gonna go with a 108. So with a 118 it could richen it up to much and break up at WOT. With the pipes filter and dynojet kit and a good spot on sync the bike ran fantastic.

Thanks in advance for the pic of the hanger.

Man, now I'm really confused on the jets.  Most bikes come pretty lean from the factory so adding more open pipes and a free'er flowing filter or stacks would lean it out even more.  I'm not understanding how a smaller jet would work at all.  Right now I have a K&N and removed the cones from the stock pipes and it's way too lean. 

Offline waltnpt

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1986 CB700SC
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »
Looks great man. Just finishing a front end swap on my 86, it is on the forum under projects. I put a 96 CBR900rr front end on. Any idea on your new steering geometry with the change? I have a link on my post, to a calculator you can use. It would be cool to see what you ended up at. I have always liked that SevenFifty tank as well been looking at Ebay UK for years, well done! You should see if you can score a set of the Seven-Fifty shocks, I have always liked the piggyback reservoir look and I know they came with them stock. If you can find a pair for a good price, could be a real easy bolt on improvement. As for the rear disc brake, talk to Spacetiger I know he did a whole how to on it for our mid 80's NHS that was on the old forums, but he may have some ideas for your years.
Cheers,
Walt

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »

Thanks in advance for the pic of the hanger.

Man, now I'm really confused on the jets.  Most bikes come pretty lean from the factory so adding more open pipes and a free'er flowing filter or stacks would lean it out even more.  I'm not understanding how a smaller jet would work at all.  Right now I have a K&N and removed the cones from the stock pipes and it's way too lean. 
Its hard to explain how the leaner main jets works, just did for my bike. like I said the dynojet kit comes with 106 mains, i jumped the bik up to 110's with the pipes and stacks and it runs to rich at WOT, so im going down to 108's.

Looks great man. Just finishing a front end swap on my 86, it is on the forum under projects. I put a 96 CBR900rr front end on. Any idea on your new steering geometry with the change? I have a link on my post, to a calculator you can use. It would be cool to see what you ended up at. I have always liked that SevenFifty tank as well been looking at Ebay UK for years, well done! You should see if you can score a set of the Seven-Fifty shocks, I have always liked the piggyback reservoir look and I know they came with them stock. If you can find a pair for a good price, could be a real easy bolt on improvement. As for the rear disc brake, talk to Spacetiger I know he did a whole how to on it for our mid 80's NHS that was on the old forums, but he may have some ideas for your years.
Cheers,
Walt

I need to try that calculator, I know it handles a lot differently now lol. turns a lot sharper and handles great, especially when the rear swingarm gets seat up its gonna be rediculous.

Offline moshee

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »
I read somewhere that dynojet has their own numbering system for their jets.  Hence, their numbering system may not match with OEM numbers.  For a starting point, you can use CarbJetKit's "Jet Kit Calculator" for rejetting requirements.  Their numbering system seems to match with OEM.

http://carbjetkits.com/honda-jet-kits/honda-750-cc-jet-kits/honda-cb750-nighthawk-1991-2004.html

I have a Vance and Hines 4 into 1.  The stock jets were 110.  I'm currently running 115's but may need to go up to 118's on the mains.  Will have to do a dyno run to verify. 

Offline niceguy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
Hi guys, just bumping this because this is an awesome project and I hope the OP continues to update it with his progress.

I actually had an '84 700s out of high school  (circa '96) that I rebuilt but after a few years I got married and sold it due to my wife being paranoid about me riding it (and she definitely would not lol).

I'm now planning to get another bike finally and though I don't have lots of project time, I find the new styling of pretty much all bikes of the last 10 years a little agressive, especially regarding the rear seat/tail sections pointing sky high!

I keep coming back to the NH 750 (though I'd prefer something lighter in the 600 range) but the soft and rounded look just reminds me too much of a cruiser like the Shadow.  I prefer a little more aggresive look, especially in the tank and more aggressive looking wheels, especially the narrow stock rear.

The euro750 is perfect but looks hard to acquire all the needed parts but your project has motivated me to consider a hybrid build and I look forward to your progress!

Jeremy

Offline NH750Kitch

• View Profile
  • Bike: '93 750 NH
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Very cool project you have there!  I particularly like your "homage to the Ancestors" touches; the tank stripes, Preserve Nature decal and the
72-78 style taillight  nice1
Kitch

Offline marlene996

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB750, M1100
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
I love your bike and on going project.  Especially the Euro tank, that looks great!

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 07:52:58 AM »
Very cool project you have there!  I particularly like your "homage to the Ancestors" touches; the tank stripes, Preserve Nature decal and the
72-78 style taillight  nice1

Thanks! When I got into bikes my buddy's dad had a beautiful gorgeous 86' 700s that I loved. I personally feel like after that bike Honda went down hill with the nighthawks and gave them more of a "cruiser" appearance rather than staying with the sportbike aesthetic like all the generations before. So I was like "Hey I want to make this bike like what it should have been made into". Before the nighthawk I also wanted a K series so I decided to throw in some hints of that into my build so that's how it got where it is now. I spent countless hours looking at tanks, cb750k's paint schemes, cafe racers, different nighthawks, cb750f,900F's to get an idea of how I wanted to get the end result. one thing I love and knew IU wanted to put on it was the F series tail cowl so thats where the Cafe seat comes from. I like to think of it as a modern day Cb750k/cb750f/Nighthawk Cafe Racer haha.

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »
I love your bike and on going project.  Especially the Euro tank, that looks great!

Thank you! Much much more to come!

Offline Masty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
Looks pretty awesome! Thanks for all the pictures of the work and color changes.  wlcm1

Offline LockeClone

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 CB700SC
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »
I love that euro tank. I always kind of though that the nighthawk 750's were kind of crummy for customization, like most people end up making their bike worse instead of better, but yours looks fantastic. *ctl+D* for future reference.

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »
I love that euro tank. I always kind of though that the nighthawk 750's were kind of crummy for customization, like most people end up making their bike worse instead of better, but yours looks fantastic. *ctl+D* for future reference.

Thanks! The nighthawk is hard to get looking right, definitely many hours went into finding the right stuff to put on it. Sadly no companies really make performance parts for them so you have to invent your own. A lot swaps over from the euro 750 but that's about it. I cant wait for mine to be finished and looking pretty rather then frankin bike like it is now.

Offline Albertus

• View Profile
  • Bike: CBR150
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »
That's some quality work. Man this bike sounds fantastic! I enjoyed watching the transformation. Great job Jesse!

Your Nighthawk cafe build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: jhockman’s Nighthawk 750 Cafe Racer build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.

Al

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
That's some quality work. Man this bike sounds fantastic! I enjoyed watching the transformation. Great job Jesse!

Your Nighthawk cafe build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: jhockman’s Nighthawk 750 Cafe Racer build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.

Al

Thank you! I would love for you guys to feature my bike! post away

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
Bump

Offline Marks84

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 Nighthawk
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 07:48:39 PM »
Totally blown away by the work man! Thanx so much for sharing this with us! That scoot is tight bro! I am doing a resto on my 84 700 and you have given me inspiration!

Offline waltnpt

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1986 CB700SC
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 06:38:42 AM »
The RFY shocks you mention, are those the Chinese knockoffs that are all over eBay? If so, riding impression? They look good and price is ridiculously cheap, but I would have to be a bit concerned buying them. When it comes to brakes tires and suspension skimping is often deadly. I would check those things regularly for damage or any other problem that the fine Chinese manufacturing process odds well known for. Good luck and be safe

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »
Totally blown away by the work man! Thanx so much for sharing this with us! That scoot is tight bro! I am doing a resto on my 84 700 and you have given me inspiration!

Thank you man! I'm glad the bike can be an inspiration. I hope for it to inspire people to see more then a sport cruiser in the future haha.

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
The RFY shocks you mention, are those the Chinese knockoffs that are all over eBay? If so, riding impression? They look good and price is ridiculously cheap, but I would have to be a bit concerned buying them. When it comes to brakes tires and suspension skimping is often deadly. I would check those things regularly for damage or any other problem that the fine Chinese manufacturing process odds well known for. Good luck and be safe

They are, I actually love them. They made the bike ride like a new bike, stiff where i need them to be and soft so the riding isn't to crazy.
One of my buddies who uses Works, Ohlins and the lot recommended them as a cheap replacement for the stockers. But thanks, I will keep an eye on them when i do my regular check-ups.

Offline Hondaconda83

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB650
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
Great build OP! I acquired a cb sevenfifty tank after a long tedious search as well...life got in the way so I had to sell my build. Anyways if anyone's interested in it, PM ME!!

Offline Gizmo

• View Profile
  • Bike: CB 700SC
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »
That bike has a cool factor that is off the charts!

Well done, and congrats. 

Truly one of a kind.

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 04:54:03 AM »
Great build OP! I acquired a cb sevenfifty tank after a long tedious search as well...life got in the way so I had to sell my build. Anyways if anyone's interested in it, PM ME!!

^BUMP super nice tank that would would be awesome for a nighthawk project  nice1

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 04:56:47 AM »
That bike has a cool factor that is off the charts!

Well done, and congrats. 

Truly one of a kind.

huge thanks! shes actually about to go through a whole bunch of cosmetic changes. New exhuast, seat and Half fairing as well as new paint. The nighthawk is gonna look so nasty haha. nice1

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved