Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nighthawk 700S makes it from So Cal to Deadhorse Alaska and back!!  (Read 1242 times)

Offline DeusExMaxima

• View Profile
  • Bike: 700s
On June 20, 2014, I started a motorcycle ride from my house in So. California to Deadhorse alaska and back home, an 8,000 mile journey.  How did my 29 year old Honda Nighthawk 700s do?  Read about it in my blog:   www.markdobkin.wordpress.com

I prepared my bike for the trip by swapping the rims for a 17" Sabre rear and and 18" Sabre front with dual sport Shinko 705 tires.  I made a taller windshield with wind diverters, I rebuilt the forks using 15w oil.  I replaced the cam chain tensioner with a good used one.  Since I would have to do 242 miles without getting gas, I had a custom seat made by thickening up the front part, and removing the rear cushion area.  I made a platform from wood and covered it in black vinyl.  Then I bought a 5.2 gallon aluminum tank off craigslist and plumbed it into the existing fuel lines using a T fitting.  I also added an on/off switch.  I found some extremely rare Honda factory hardbags and I had a Shad top box in the rear.  I added a Cortech tank bag.  I had V Strom hand guards but I strengthened them with aluminum and the added some tin to the bottom for more wind protection. Those were the major changes. Let me know what you think.

Offline shifther

• View Profile
  • Bike: FZ-07
Re: Nighthawk 700S makes it from So Cal to Deadhorse Alaska and back!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
8 bears!  yikes1

Offline umpire

• View Profile
  • Bike: 84 700s Blue
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
Kool ride report nice1
Umpire.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
What an epic journey.  You will still be thinking about this one when you're an old man.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline DeusExMaxima

• View Profile
  • Bike: 700s
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:23:13 PM »
Thanks guys!! The 8 bears werent scary...it was the one grizzly mama that threatened me that was scary.  This was an incredible journey.  Im writing a How to Prepare for the Dalton Highway post in my blog.  Keep an eye out  for it.

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved