Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1985 CB650SC Nighthawk  (Read 2155 times)

Offline RobertBarr

• View Profile
  • Bike: '85 CB650SC
1985 CB650SC Nighthawk
« on: July 29, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
First post here.  Let's see if I can manage a photo attachment.  Sure are a lot of emoticon critters available!

Yep, that went OK.  Sorry about the image dimensions -- I need to tone that down a bit.  I bought this bike for $600 in Chicago about 11 years ago and I've ridden the daylights out of it.  Other bikes have come and gone, but I refuse to sell this little guy.  It's the smoothest bike I've ever ridden, and one of the most fun.  All Ive done to it is replace the cam chain tensioner (twice) and the clutch slave once.  Oh, a set of clutch plates early on, but that's about it.  Hmm -- it also 'ate' a driveshaft once; the damper inside went south.  And a rear wheel bearing somehow developed too much play in the wheel itself; the press fit got enlarged and allowed the bearing to wobble, so the bike handled like it had a flat tire.  That required a replacement rear wheel, of course.

As you can see, I like to keep a bike mostly original, down to the fasteners, when I can. 

Since this photo was taken I've switched tires to something a little more modern, and that alters its classic looks -- but it's worth the tradeoff.  I never did like those Dunlops on the rear.  They really match the bike cosmetically, but I've always felt the bike was a little unstable with the Dunlops on there.  I now run a Battlax, and it handles a bit better.

For the longest time I hung around the Yahoo Nighthawk forum, but the software was so clumsy that I finally just gave up a few years ago.  Nice to see a modern, and busy, Nighthawk forum alive and well.

Anyone who's owned a GS Suzuki might recognize my name.  I've been a member of the GS Resources since the stone age.

Let's see -- maybe an image with smaller dimensions.  Let's try this:    Ah, that's better!

RB

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
Re: 1985 CB650SC Nighthawk
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Hiya! and  wlcm1

Bridgestone tires have been treating me very well on both my cars and my bikes, I hope to stick to them.  If you want modern performance with a classic style, I am a huge fan of the bridgestone spitfire tires.  Available with raised white lettering even.  Got them for both my bikes.  Modern tread with good life, and modern text with that classic white lettering!

Nice and clean!  Nighthawk is one of those bikes that never need modding, only sometimes modernizing ^.^

Offline Dinger85

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 NH 650
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
Very nice looking bike!!  wlcm1
Adam "Dinger" Aldinger

Offline Darren996

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1984 CB650SC
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Wow, looks like it has been tucked away for the last 29 years! Looks brand new.

Offline Walter

• View Profile
  • Bike: 85 cb650sc
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
Hey all, first post and wasn't sure I should start a new thread, but I just picked up this exact same model and year of NH a few months ago.  She was pretty cherry, but the previous owner didn't own anything more than a flat head screw driver.  So I all ready went through a bunch of the basics.  I also had the spitfire tires mounted on this scoot, and they look great, and handle well, I second the recommendation.  Otherwise this bike is bone stock.

My last two task were to get the carbs/petcock rebuilt as they were both seeping around the gaskets, but the bike seems to run well otherwise.  But I do have some confusion on this year with the cam chain tensioner and valve adjustment (automatic/manual?).  It seems that they vary quite a bit in these short years and models.  My second task is I have a strange valve or cam chain noise I get exactly at 2400 rpm and it seems to smooth out about 3K.  It also ONLY happens after the bike is warmed up, and it sounds like its coming from the top end.  It does not matter what gear I'm in.

I'm posting here because I have some speculation its maybe the tensioner and the original poster mentioned he did his twice.  Other theory was carb out of sync.  I have the tank off and carbs out, but before I pull the valve cover and prod around up there, I don't want to do brain surgery if I'm looking in the wrong place.  FYI she has around 23K on the clock.

I'm really hung up on this, appreciate any advice, or directions on where to post otherwise.  I've been trying to figure this out for months.

Offline grizz

• View Profile
  • Bike: nighthawk650
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
Nice bike . I have the same bike , same year , sme color . 28000 miles on mine and runs like new .

Offline gruvmann

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 CB650SC
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »
Wow- nice example of the Classic:)

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved