Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rode the last one in the USA  (Read 1047 times)

Offline CountryG

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
Rode the last one in the USA
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
Last weekend was beautiful in terms of weather in PA.  It was in the low 80's with low humidity.  We are having more than our share of these days this summer and it's OK with me!  My wife and I took this opportunity to do a day trip on the Nighthawk and we headed for the last wooden paddle wheel ferry still in operation in the USA.  It crosses the Susquehanna River and is located about 25 miles north west of Harrisburgh.  It is about 40 miles from our house and we made a point to take all the back roads to get there.

Anyone from the south wouldn't be impressed by this bird but up hear in the north east they are uncommom.

The ferry runs from Millersburg to Liverpool and the river is about a mile wide at the crossing.  in the past they have piled stones in the river as a makeshift dam to raise the level of the water so they can keep the ferry running longer in times of no rain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millersburg_Ferry

We took route 147 from millersburg north to 45 then west to mifflinburg where we stopped at the Mifflinburg Hotel for lunch

http://www.mifflinburghotel.com/history.html

And from there it was another 35 miles home.  All in all it was a great 160 mile ride thru some beautiful country!!

Offline Bajakirch

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 V-Strom 650
Re: Rode the last one in the USA
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
Nice report. That ferry looks like a floating house. Nice that they still keep it running.
Get on your bikes and ride!

Offline Drdubb

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 83' 650, NC700X
Re: Rode the last one in the USA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
Love it....

One of the reasons we ride.
Blog posts at:
Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com