Username: Password:

Author Topic: JF's new 2000 nighthawk 750  (Read 8753 times)

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 Nighthawk
JF's new 2000 nighthawk 750
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
Hey guys,

Been out of riding for a few years until I found a decent deal on a 2000 nighthawk with 12, 000 +/- on it. Its been sitting for a yard, of years and i'm on a budget with my renovations. New to motorcycle repairs but getting addicted pretty quickly. Ill be asking some advice as the fix up progresses. Attached is how she looked at purchase.

btw, thanks for the info i've acquired so far through lurking, truly appreciated.

Thanks,
JF

*cant seem to post pictures from my tablet, give me a secomd*

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
Re: JF's new 2000 nighthawk 750
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
Since I've had it at home.

I immediately took off the back rest / windshield.  (I like clean lines on a bike)
starting to clean it up (Little by little)
replaced the battery

And than took it out for a spin, and dammit it stopped running.
Airbox is full of fuel.
Drained tank.
Drained carberators
Drained air box.

Replaced the air filter
Rebuilt the Petcock
Replaced inline fuel filter
New fuel filter has been ordered. Should be here in the next day or so.
Learned how to take of rear tire ($15 later local shop put new pirelli sport demon on the rim)
Learned how to put rear tire back on
new chain has been ordered (should be here in the next few days)
Front tire coming off this evening for it's replacement.

That's where I'm at for now. Hoping that after the new parts all come in and I add some sea foam to the tank she'll start right up.  Let me know if y'all have any suggestions

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »
Rear tire Installed.

Offline Sonnystile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »
I've got a corbin seat on eBay that ends tonight...

Offline studiosteve

• View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 NH750
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
Check your sprockets, its sometimes good to do the chain and both sprockets at once.  There's some good images online to determine if you need to recplace them.

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk 750
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:21:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum JF.  Bet you will have a good looking and running NH soon.  They are great all around bikes that will run for many years with routine maintenance.  +1 to what SS said about checking sprockets.  If they are worn it will eat your new chain in a short time.   Take your time and get that NH back on the road.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
Thanks for the hellos and advice. Ill look into tge sprockets again, but after I cleaned them up they seemed lik they were in pretty good shape.  Came home this evening to my in tank fuel filter. I believe its called a screenset. Anyways, put it all back together and attempted to start it up, no such luck. It sure sounded like it wanted too!! Seems liks its not getting fuel. Im thinking my petcock is still messed up!! This little thing is going to get the best of me.

Loosened carb drain valves no gas leaked out.

Anyone have any luck with the petcocks on ebay for $12.99 seems to good to be true

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
Hiya and welcome!

First off.  WHOOPS! DON'T RIDE which I will get to in a moment.

Before you start digging all into the fuel petcock and spending the cash, a sitting bike has unique problems that need to be sorted out.  Not expensive ones, but issues that do take a little calm and patience.

Main thing is a petcock rarely goes bad.  Petcocks will leak when they go and that is it.  They are fairly simple mechanically.

No fuel, is either a blocked screen, lines or the carbs.  Not sure if yours has the vacuum cutoff like my oldie has, but that could be the issue as well.  I will put money down on it being the carbs!  After sitting, they would need a good cleaning.  Floats will stick open/closed/leak.  This is why fuel in the airbox.  This can also mean fuel in the oil, which will reduce lubrication and can damage engine bearings.  Carb bowl is filling up, then it is getting into the airbox or cylinder via leaking out the carb.  Probably sucked some gunk through and little passages are clogged up.  Carb rebuild kits.  Depending on the forum, some guys swear by Honda only parts.  For some things, that is true.  But I haven't had any issue with the general service and rebuild kits from K&L.  Reasonably priced and comes with all you need.  Just need the care and time/experience to get the carbs off and back on, then tuned up.

Expect to need to rebuild the braking system as well, be careful to watch for fluid leaks or any seizing components.

Offline frz

• View Profile
  • Bike: 1993 CB750
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »
Anyone have any luck with the petcocks on ebay for $12.99 seems to good to be true
I bought one not too long ago to replaced my old rusty one, works like a charm.

Offline CountryG

• View Profile
  • Bike: Nighthawk
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:10:31 AM »
You said "Replaced inline fuel filter"

I don't think there should be an inline fuel filter? 

Online mollusc

• Dedicated Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB700S | NC700X
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 07:20:14 AM »
Right.  Many people have reported starvation problems after adding inline filters.  There should be a couple of screen filters already on the bike as stock.
made of meat

Offline jhockman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
Nice Hawk. You will love the sport demons, I put a set on mine and it handled like it never had before. I would get rid of the inline fuel filter IMO, like said above the petcock has one on it.

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:08:59 PM »
Sorry for the delay guys, been working on the bike almost everynight.  After rebuilding the petcock, still no luck. Ended up ordering a new one from china, $40 off amazon. Tooka few weeks  to come in. So I tackled a few other projects. New chain installed. Cleaned front break calipers / pistons. Installed new front break pads. Installed new front turn signals. Installed new handlerbars and grips..  and than two days ago I received the new petcock!!!

Just got back from my first neighborhood ride and gas fill up, seems pretty great so far!

I guess now that she's registered ill ride her around for a week or so before I start the next project.

Mods, should we move this thread somewhere else?? Would like to keep it going as I do work on the bike !

Thanks for all the replies guys

Offline Scott2.0

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »
How do you like the Sport Demons?  Any reason you went with those over a radial?  I'm debating between going with those to save some cash or coughing up more for Metzeler Z8 radials. 

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »
No reason in particular really. Just a good conversation witha guy named phil at motorcycle wearhouse, good price and quickshipping. I dont have anything to compare them too since I immediately switched them out when I purchased the bike.  Seem great so far though

Offline Scott2.0

• View Profile
  • Bike: '92 NH 750
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
Cool, thanks.  I'm assuming you went with 150s instead of the stock 140s right?  No fitment issues?

Offline StormRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 09:41:21 PM »
I got a set of sport demons for my '91 750. Absolutely love them!  I got mine for a pretty decent price on bikebandit.com

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 05:52:13 AM »
It's official, she's running nearly perfect now.!!!  After getting some great advice from a motorcycle mechanic that was too busy too deal with me, I Installed a new clutch cable last night due to sluggish riding and random rpm revs with throttle on.

After installation was complete, it was pouring down rain but I had to try it out anyways.  Its like a new freaking bike.  I actually feel the power of the nighthawk now!!!  Cant wait to get more time on her.

Tim hodge muffler mod is next !!!

Offline Hog Dog

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 08:35:43 PM »
That's great.  Enjoy the ride.
Lucky Lindy's evil twin

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:13 AM »
Thanks hog dog, getting close !!! 

Posted this in electronics, no reply. So ill repost here.
Hey everyone,

When I purchased my bike there were no turn signals. Luckily thewires were still in place. I stalled front after market turn signals, and they work great. Ranarou d that wayfor a week or so. I xid not I stall the running light wire. P, an on redoing that shortly.  After instLling the rear turn signals, everything seemed to work great. Until I Installed a new clutch cable and can actually run the bike like its supposed to be.  "With some real power".  Anyways, now every time I turn on my turn signals my 15 amp rear break light / turn signal / gauge light amp blows.

Is it possible that these after market non led lights are pulling that many more amps? 
Is it possible since I dont have the front running wires attached its throwing everything off balance?

Can I just throw a 20 amp fuse in that slot?

Any help would be great?

Thanks

Offline RJ CB650

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 82 CB650sc
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »
LED's should draw a much lower amerage.  The issue could be that LED conversions need resistance built into the system to account for LED's having very low resistance.  Is a simple matter of installing the correct resistor equal to resistance of your lights minus the LED resistance.

To test this, simple ohm meter is all you need.  Measure current light circuit resistance (the LED's) across the assembly, and compare to resistance of the original.  There were not any when you got the bike, but I am sure somebody here can get you that info.

Second, never just throw in a larger fuse.  What happens is your wire will run hotter.  We don't want some part of your main wiring harness becoming the fuse due to it being insufficient wire gauge.   10-15 amps tend to be 16 ga wire, but anything over a very short length, 20a will need like 14 ga.  Combine with age and probably a bit of corrosion, could be trouble.

You said it was after you installed the new clutch cable.  One other thing I highly recommend then is inspect your wire.  It could be you have a short somewhere.  With old cable, the wire was free-floating.  New cable might be routed slightly different now causing a signal wire to short.

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
They are not led's. Just after market turn signals. Front ones are now working great, with the rear ones detached. Seems like a short in one of the three rear wires running to the rear turn signals. Time to start searching. Would be nice to just thow in a 20 amp and having everything work. That was my laziness getting the best of me.

Am I correct in my assumption / interpretation of the wiring diagram that there is one main power line tbat needs to be split for both of my rear turn signals?

Offline JF Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »
All figured out !!! Lesson #1 dont rush electronics !! Simply a mispaced wire. Time to ride

Offline dbking321

• View Profile
  • Bike: 91 nighthawk
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »
what size tire did you decide to go with for the rear?

Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Nighthawk-Forums.com
All Rights Reserved