Username: Password:

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - Drdubb

Pages: [1]
General Motorcycle Discussion / Predictions about nighthawks
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »
Work your way to the portion about nighthawks.

General Motorcycle Discussion / Oh Oh
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:16 PM »
Is it just Harley Riders or is the rule broken for all.

Stablemates / Nighthawk gone...NC arrived
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
I recently posted that I had sold my venerable 1995 Nighthawk 750. A 2014 Honda NC700XD has filled the void.

Your Ride Reports / Sunday Ride
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »

Spring is almost here...the forecast for Sunday was sunny and low 60's, however the reality when the ride started was cloudy and high 40's. Still got in a nice ride. Pretty much repeated last week's ride, but once I reached the target area I turned down every road that I hadn't ridden before and got lost a few times, but really enjoyed the ride. The area is dairy country so it was full of rolling meadows, pastures and of course...cows. I found a couple of new gravel roads. I was on the Nighthawk, but I took them anyway. There were several sections of mud that made me a little nervous, the Big Red handled them fine. Put in about 6 hours in the saddle, had lunch at Saxeco (a gas stations transformed into a pretty good restaurant) and dessert at a Maple View Dairy trailer. Twas a great day.

Rode by what must be an artist's home way out in the sticks. Lots of metal sculptures on the property.

Passed through the Orange county seat of Hillsborough. Neat little town. I thought Springator would like a picture of the 1820's law office. I think all law offices should be limited to this type and size of structure.

Other general pics

Your Ride Reports / What Polar Vortex
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
tbante and I just did a loop that included the NC Outer Banks

ride report here

Your Ride Reports / Scenic Byway Ride
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »

Met up with Robbie AG today to do an easy scenic ride. We followed one of NC's scenic byways and enjoyed the colonial architecture and fall colors. The route wasn't full of twisty's or high speed sweepers, just a nice country ride. The particular byway we followed flows through Yanceyville, Milton (home of Virginia International Raceway and Hillsborough, where the wise colonial Tarheels joined Rhode Island in rejecting the US Constitution.

This is a previous write up of the byway.

The ride started at the school my mother attended, back in the 20's and 30's. Its not wearing well.

Robbie checked out the old jailhouse in Yanceyville.

The motorcycles.

My ride started with a 60 minute slab ride on I-40 to meet up with Robbie at the start. The temp was in the 40's and I'll say that my new heated grips and heated vest really performed well. I was toasty as I blasted down the RTP corridor. Just wish I'd purchased the jacket rather than the vest.

Lunch was a BBQ meal in Hillsborough. Good eats. We finished the ride by heading back toward Robbie's home on some backroads. Passed throughout the megapolis of Saxapahaw. Old mill town on the Haw river. The mill was converted to condo's, a bar, and a performance hall. Cool place.

Good ride, nothing to get excited about, just a nice day in the country.

Your Ride Reports / Difficult Choices
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Went on a 400 mile ride yesterday with Robbie AG. We headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then over to the New River in Virginia. Was a truly great day. Great roads, perfect weather, and a patient riding partner.

Photos and ride report here.

For some unknown reason, I did a very poor job of recording this trip on camera.
My apologies to my avid fans and to heck with my critics.

(Another apology...I didn't ride my Nighthawk for this trip. I was on the DR650 as a test ride prior to my mini-TAT)

Wednesday dawned with blue skies and moderate temps. I arose early in order to beat the morning commuter traffic, thus I hit the road about 7:00. Traffic was busy, but not standing still. The chosen escape route was a negative commute, skirting south of the Research Triangle Park, which is the destination of most local commuters. The scenes quickly turned to pastures and farmlands, with cows outnumbering the cars.  The old DR putted through the small towns of Ramsuer, Ashboro and of course, Siler City of Andy Griffith fame.

Dubbs DR

Siler City, despite the script of the Andy Griffith show, was not close to Mayberry. Griffith's home town and inspiration for Mayberry was Mount Airy, N.C., which is a few hours from Siler City. This is a small mill town that has been hurt by the migration of textiles to other countries. Francis Bavier, who played Aunt Bea on the show, actually settled in Siler City in the later years of her retirement. The word is that she was a little cantankerous and did not welcome the results of her fame.  Betty Lyn, who played Barnie's girlfriend Thelma Lou, moved to Mount Airy a few years ago. She was promptly mugged.

The cows take over hppants job of sitting in the creek.

The choice of route was to not only avoid heavy traffic, but to allow this rider to warm up to highway speeds before accessing the interstate. Prior to this trip, only 50 or so highway miles were logged on the DR. The high speed handling and power were still unknown. With this intent, I was able to travel about two hours on secondary roads before being forced onto the interstate. At that point, I was pleasantly surprised. While not as "planted" as the Nighthawk or as quick to access passing power, the DR performed well. In fact, I found that if I did not exceed 70 mph, the DR preferred to stay in 4th gear and leave 5th for the really fast stuff.

The Blue Ridge rose up in front of me within three hours and we pulled into KSL about 1:30. My riding buddy Tom was napping as the old DR thumped to a halt in front of his tent. The skies were clear and the cows were about. A great day.

Calf Approval

Tom and I didn't make any effort to ride that afternoon. The heavy storms were due in that night and we were busy attempting to predict the weather and what that weather may do to our camp. The official forecast was for 5 inches of rain in our area and since the tents were pitched next to a creek, flash flooding was a distinct possibility. Mo, the KSL owner, also mentioned the possibility of falling trees (very big trees) and that the emergency meeting spot would be the bath house. Tom, claimed the clothes dryer for his spot. The rest of us just assumed out landing spot would be Oz. Back in the real world, Tom and I pitched out tents, but chose to sleep in cabins just in case.

Dubb's DR tentatively approaches Tom's Nighthawk.

Mo seems to collect strays and she had one this year. Nice fellow from Louisiana. He had pulled in a homemade camping trailer behind his Harley and it served his summer home. The little trailer had a flip up top and a bed inside. He also pitched a tarp to provide a covered porch and lounged there seated in his Kermit chair.

Tbante contemplates the latest stray.

Night came and so did the rain, but not nearly as bad as predicted. I woke about midnight, looked at the weather radar on my 'Droid, seeing lots of red and yellow headed our way. I woke again about 4, still raining, but no monsoon, no flooding, and no thump of crashing trees. Checking the radar, the yellows and reds were other places. Mo was right when she said the surrounding mountains had a way of splitting the storms. We were saved!

All the Comforts of Home

The temperature started the day in the 60's but  dropped during the day, with continual drizzle and light rain. We decided to hang around camp and not push our luck. DWR, another Nighthawker, arrived from Kentucky with a wet bum. He had a big tear in his waterproofs right in the seat and that is where all motorcycle water flows. He hit pretty rough weather on his way down. Tom matched that experience by riding through a thunderstorm while crossing the Cherohala Parkway. For those that don't know, the Cherohala will put you in the clouds, very close to the source of the electricity. Poor Tom.

Robbie's ultra clean 750. The dirty DR is in the background.

As the day wore on, we decided to ride down to the local diner for supper, but noticed Mo was cooking as we departed, so we just headed down highway 28 towards Fontana for a little warm up ride. We crossed the roadway over the dam and headed up into the Great Smoky National Park a mile or so to some trailheads. Beautiful country. Tom had backpacked that area, while my backpacking was done in the central and northern part of the park. Tom, in his love of precipitation, enjoyed heavy snowfall during his hiking experience.

DWR lectures Tom about Fontana Dam

Back at camp, we enjoyed a great vegetable lasagna, courtesy of Mo. We chatted and watched other riders arrive. One fellow on a Ducati was from Seattle. He had taken about two months off from work and was touring America. The guy made me tired just talking about this ride. He had to be back in a couple of weeks for an IRS audit. I wish him luck.

SCGuy's 700S looks no worse for wear after his epic two week RideAbout.

Springator also came in adding to our merry band as well as RCNighthawker from Michigan and SCguy.  RC came in past my bedtime so I greeted him in the A.M. Others from Florida rolled in on trailers. One of those, Larry, decided to join us other old farts on our Friday ride. RC and SC went with some younger folks. Speaking of young folk, CJBear came in with his brother and brother's girlfriend and it is was great to see them. CJ is the ultimate mello dude.

RC's Vetter dressed Nighthawk 650.

One of the highlights of the weekend was having latte with Springator. He had to have his daily latte, so we hopped into his Navigator and climbed over the mountain to the McDonalds. Attempting to order an unflavored latte flummoxed the wait staff and despite eventually getting the order correct, the barista failed.

Friday morning was met with frustration as we couldn't make a decision on which way to ride. Despite the weather front having passed, spotty showers were everywhere and it was cold. The temp when I slipped out of my sleeping bag was 39! Sheesh, it was spring already.

Tom adding layers to fight the cold. Larry's Harley to the right.

We finally settled on a trip up to the BRP and then decide from there. I led the group over to Cherokee and then up the mountains. The temperature quickly dropped some more and the sun started playing peek-a-boo in the clouds. I stopped several times to see the sites and warm my hands. Then drizzle started kicking in and I know I saw snow flakes mixed in with the rain.

Our goal was to make it to the high point on the Parkway and then decide where to go next. Well....we didn't make it. The rain and cold drove us back down the mounting onto the Smoky Mountain Expressway at which point, the skies opened, the rain fell, and the wind blew. We stopped under a service station canopy, hoping it was a quick storm, but the deluge continued. Someone mentioned that they had seen a McDonald's sign, why not go there and warm up with lunch while the rain did its thing. The vote was taken and off we went. The rain quickly let up and we stopped at the McD.

Tom, Larry and Springator ham it up for the camera.
Those guys are hysterical.

While we ate, the sun shown brightly, just teasing us and attempting to get us out in the open. We fell for it, and left out of Ronald's protective arches and headed down through Sylva to Cullowhee and the promise of twisty roads. I had heard that Tilley Creek Road was fun and it would take us over to 28/64. From there we could see the waterfalls and then head on home. Seemed like a plan.

Tilley Creek Rd was more than expected. There were some serious switch backs, steep climbs and hairy corners. Sometimes three or four tight switch backs would be stacked on each other. I was doing about 10mph on the DR, I don't know how Larry was doing on his Harley.

After about 10 miles, we crested the ridge were headed down the other side when a group of bikes came from the other direction, flagging us down. The leader said a tree was down and we couldn't get through, so what did we do....we rode to the tree.

When we arrived, yes a tree was down, yes it blocked the road...but Tom thought we could move it. I vetoed that idea when I noticed that the top of the tree was tangled in the power lines. So back we went into the maze of switch backs.

At the end of Tilley Road, I turned us down Cullowhee Mountain Road. My memory of the map indicated that we could still get down to Highlands using this road. It was also freshly paved; so freshly paved, that we ran into the paving crew doing touch up work. This again, was  a challenging but rewarding piece of tarmac. The only problem was that the rain was back. When we topped the ridge, I was surprised by a plateau, covered with farms. Beautiful scene. We continued on, riding by a lake, over a dam and through more mountainous terrain. As we hit a T intersection of an actual road with numbers, Larry indicated he was done. Tom joined that point of view and also mentioned that he had seen hail in the rain.  I then reluctantly led us back to Cullowhee, on an actual highway which still added its own surprises.  We eventually made camp and that is when the previously mentioned latte adventure occurred. Huzzaahhh for Springator.

That night was BLT night at the KSL. I don't how she does it, but those were great BLT's. The evening included some campfire watching, lying and other story telling and general camaraderie. It was really a nice day, with varied entertaining interludes. No pressures, just following the flow.

Saturday dawned with a similar forecast and more new nighthawks in camp. RobbieAg had rolled in Friday afternoon and Aristo had arrived late in the night, again, after my bedtime.

Looks like Aristo's 650 is afraid to come out and play.

I had talked with SOQS the previous evening and could tell she was not doing well so I decided to leave for home that morning. It was still cold and the forecast was dubious. TBante had already planned to leave on Saturday, so I knew that meant rain wherever he was and I need to get away as quick as possible. The ride home was dry, uneventful. Tom had about two hours of heavy rain.

SOQS was glad to see me, so I made a good decision.

Pages: [1]
Copyright © 2006 - 2018
All Rights Reserved